Led Zep Jimmy Page live sound

I have no idea about Jimmy's gear,is it just me or does it
sound like he has his wah in a fixed position? Live 1973
on youtube. Always on.

lilbman said:
I have no idea about Jimmy's gear,is it just me or does it
sound like he has his wah in a fixed position? Live 1973
on youtube. Always on.

Agreed, but that's because I quite clearly remember him doing it in Sydney in 1972 (ish).

cob666 said:
I had read an article about Page's sound for that time period and the article stated that Page played with the treble pegged and the mid and bass turned very low.

Do you remember where that article was? Thanks.

I use a plexi model with the master volume up pretty high and a cab model with greenbacks. It gets pretty close (I'm using either a Gibson Explorer with a Seymour Duncan '59 neck/Alnico Custom Bridge combo or a stock PRS CU24. If you have a phase switch, or have your pickups wired out of phase, you can get a very close approximation of his "notched wah" tone. I really want to try the Hiwatt model with a fuzz of some sort in front to see if that would work as well. After watching "It Might Get Loud", he sounds pretty cool with not much equipment, but it is hard to tell what he is actually using in his huge room full of stuff. I think he is playing through a Hiwatt. In the jam at the end, he is using either an Orange or a Hiwatt, but I didn't notice any Marshall heads around... just a cab.

For the JP tone though, I think either a lower gain Marshall or the Hiwatt with the master volume bumped up gets you most of the way there. Adding a fuzz pedal in front would be accurate for what he actually used, but I don't know if it is necessary in a patch where you can just add more gain.

a buddy of mine here in Austin has struggled with the same dilemma, then he got an "a'-ha!" moment when he put a Rangemaster pedal for treble boost purposes in front of his Emplexador amp. Agree that Page's Marshalls' don't sound like others in live setting, and part is Les Paul, but suspect you may stop the sound from being as darka s you say if you play around with this Drive emulator of Rangemaster going into the Plexi and tweak... just a thought. Those Brits liked their treble boosts, and the Vox amp needed them!

austinbuddy said:
a buddy of mine here in Austin has struggled with the same dilemma, then he got an "a'-ha!" moment when he put a Rangemaster pedal for treble boost purposes in front of his Emplexador amp. Agree that Page's Marshalls' don't sound like others in live setting, and part is Les Paul, but suspect you may stop the sound from being as darka s you say if you play around with this Drive emulator of Rangemaster going into the Plexi and tweak... just a thought. Those Brits liked their treble boosts, and the Vox amp needed them!

FWIW, I use the Treble Boost into the Plexi 2 for my "clean/ever-so-slightly-crunch" sounds, but I change speaker IR's daily!

Never thought of Les Paul's having 'quack' but that's exactly the case with Jimmy's tone eh! Never liked that tone too much myself but JP is so cool that it's all ok?

just throwing this out there (don't know if anyone else suggested this...if so, apologies for redundancy) but how about finding some good isolation tracks of Jimmy Page live - there have to be quite a lot available out there - and using the Tone Match block. It's pretty amazing how much tone can be copped by using this feature, even if you don't use it 100% wet, but just as a blend...it might be enough to get you over the top.

Hi everyone,
brand new to the forum, i am on my way to get a FM3.
I was just curious if someone has tried since 2012 the Tone Match block for TSRTS or HTWWW tones and if it gives satisfaction.

Thanks for your answers.
Regards

Back
Top Bottom