Leaving Your Acoustic Out of It's Case?

Warrior

Power User
How many of you leave your acoustic out of it's case most of the time?

I tend to keep mine in it's case to control humidity levels.

You know I never did use a humidifier and always kept my acoustic out of it's case. An old 70's Sigma, a Seagull S6 and a Seagull Artist were all fine out of their case no matter what time of year it was. Then, I got a Martin HD28. I can see why these are sometimes referred to as "goldfish". Great guitars, but super-sensitive to climate change and humidity. During the winter months, humidity gets under 25% in my house and the neck just dries up and I start getting mad buzz. Since then, I have a humidity gauge and leave my Martin in it's case (with a humidifier when the humidity gets under 40%).

Mine are out of the case. Humidity here is 60% to 80% all year long.

AFAIK my Carvin doesn't use bent wood. There are no stresses other than low-tension nylon strings. It's ridiculously stable.
The Fender is made of plastic, no worries there.
The Alvarez... err... might have dropped the ball on that one. I never had a case for it, though.

it's way too dry in Phoenix to leave mine out for long.
I have a Taylor 914ce with the new Taylor Sense bluetooth humidity sensor and app.
It's easy to keep it humidified at 50% +/
I use the Two-Way Humidification System Conditioning Packets, by D'Addario inside the guitar, and a big, clear plastic bag around the guitar to keep a visual along with a hygrometer.

Cases are safest in my house, so that's where they stay. Plus: California is dry and the case I can humidify; the house I cannot.

All of my guitars reside in their cases. I take them out when I want to play them, and return them when I am done. I live in TX. If there is such a thing as the humidity belt, Fort Worth is the buckle.
Same here. I am less than 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, and the humidity is high even in the winter. I probably could leave them out (we do have air conditioning) but they reside in a den converted to a music space, so they're plenty accessible in the case. I have an 80s Martin Sigma D35 and a Taylor 914CE. They both sound great, so I don't think the babying is hurting them any.

Same here. I am less than 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, and the humidity is high even in the winter. I probably could leave them out (we do have air conditioning) but they reside in a den converted to a music space, so they're plenty accessible in the case. I have an 80s Martin Sigma D35 and a Taylor 914CE. They both sound great, so I don't think the babying is hurting them any.
I have played many a Martin. The Sigma D35 is a GREAT guitar, and it goes without saying that a Taylor 914CE is as well. I have a Taylor 816ce (my go to performance guitar). i also have a Takamine that has a superb woody tone. In fact, when I recorded "The Endgame" Supernal Endgame Touch The Sky Volume II, I used the Takamine as it just had perfect tone for the acoustic section of that song.

I have a Taylor 214 I keep out in my office as my practice guitar during conference calls. It has been out for three years in 30% (heart of winter) to 60% (warmest part of summer) humidity. It has been fine, and I haven't noticed any change in its playability. I obsess over things like that, so I measure the string height as well check the bridge area of the top for buckling on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom