Leaving the AX8 on for a long time...

gdgross

Experienced
Any danger in doing this? Maybe up to a week continuously powered? Doesn't seem like there should be a problem to me, but thought I'd ask before I keep doing it!

I use the SPDIF out as a clock source for my interface when recording direct, but it's convenient for me to just leave the ax8 connected and powered on for the week and unplug on the weekend for gigs...

Thanks!

i would be curious as what someone from fractal has to say about this answer. my guess is it's basically like a computer and a lot of people leave them on all the time. the only thing I would question is since there is no sleep function, would the ax8's cpu being constantly working as well as any cooling inside and over time would this wear it out quicker?

From what I understand about most computer electronics, powering a unit on is the harshest on the hardware. Leaving it on for extended periods of time should not be an issue under normal operating environments. Generally speaking.

I suspect it's robust enough to live a long time either way. As to which is 'better' (aside from wasting power) I'd say it depends how many times a day you'd regularly turn it on and off.

I do think the notion of leaving computer gear running 24/7 for good health is mostly a legacy concept we still carry with us. It dates back to early days of computing when hardware was much less reliable. Spinning magnetic disks for storage were always the weakest link anyway, fortunately the AX8 has none of those :)

As long as it's getting clean power, and the power supply is in good shape handling any dirt in the source, it should be fine under normal temps.

I agree with robboman. The boot-sequence of the ax8 should mitigate any issues with power-on being a harsh deal. It still stands to reason that it's the point at which freak damage is most possible, but I don't logically think it'd be by any greatly increased percentage of risk.

I'd be most worried about temperatures. If I were planning on leaving it on for that long regularly, I would set up an area that has cooling fans set to increase airflow around the unit & make sure the room its in doesn't get super hot...other equipment right next to it not putting out too much heat etc.

I have opened my unit up, its not too terribly crowded in there luckily, all the cards seem to have good room to breathe. If it really became a concern you could easily take the side-plates off the chassis and direct airflow straight through the unit. I don't really think it would be necessary, but the option is there. Don't know if that would have any effect on a warranty though.

**Edit: to be clear...I wouldn't recommend removing any part of the ax8 chassis, and I also don't think there's any need to increase airflow inside the unit. I just speculate.

Last edited:
If it really became a concern you could easily take the side-plates off the chassis and direct airflow straight through the unit.

I was with you on heat as an issue in the long run, that's why I turn mine off. But this here, I wouldn't recommend this. Instant dust magnet. If there were a fan, it would be blowing out, not in or across.

I was with you on heat as an issue in the long run, that's why I turn mine off. But this here, I wouldn't recommend this. Instant dust magnet. If there were a fan, it would be blowing out, not in or across.

Agreed. Not to be mistaken for :
"Dust Magnet" -

- what old , gigging guitar players morph into over time , after having once been a "Chick Magnet."

Yeah, I meant having a fan on either side, one to draw the intake out. It would take some engineering to get it right, but one in one out.

Like I said, I don't think it would be necessary. If I WERE to try and do something like it, I would fabricate new side plates to have fans built in. Probably just use an out fan to expel heat, but if I were to put one on each side to allow for cool-air intake as well, it would have a dust filter on it. Limit exposure, filter the intake, have an outtake...mitigate the risks. Trouble is....the whole is engineering to fix a problem that doesn't exist. I just like to think about crap like this.

But yes, in general, I do agree that its a terrible idea haha. Best bet is just keep the area that the unit is in nice and cool with airflow around it.

After a few days (maybe a week or so) my AX8 will stop passing the signal correctly, like the AMP or CAB block is turned off.

I haven't noticed this yet with the newer firmware(s).

After a few days (maybe a week or so) my AX8 will stop passing the signal correctly, like the AMP or CAB block is turned off.

I haven't noticed this yet with the newer firmware(s).

There are many variables that could cause this, so it would be difficult to pinpoint until its reproducible. Could have been a bug that was fixed but not mentioned. Or an issue with your specific unit. Because the AX8 receives MIDI via USB, and because some applications are a little disjointed with the MIDI signals they send out, one could imagine your issue was caused by a MIDI signal sent from an app on your computer. Amp and Cab both have MIDI CC assignments for bypass.

Semiconductor aging increases with higher temperatures. Powering off the unit will achieve the slowest possible aging effect.

There are many variables that could cause this, so it would be difficult to pinpoint until its reproducible. Could have been a bug that was fixed but not mentioned. Or an issue with your specific unit. Because the AX8 receives MIDI via USB, and because some applications are a little disjointed with the MIDI signals they send out, one could imagine your issue was caused by a MIDI signal sent from an app on your computer. Amp and Cab both have MIDI CC assignments for bypass.
Agreed. I'm not worried about it... just an observation.

I don't think it really matters one way or the other. I have been power cycling mine since I got it and will continue to do so for many years! Though I think leaving it on 24-7-365 will not only age the electronics but burn the display out.

Back
Top Bottom