Leave-on drive or ?

Wildwind

Experienced
I used to have an OD I ran like this in the pedal/tube amp days. I would leave it on all the time and it would serve to fatten up the tone in pleasing ways, sweetening the highs, etc. Despite my utter joy with my Fractal gear, I got to thinking I’d like to find something like that for my AX8 (my gigging rig – the Axe II is retired). And maybe it’s a fool’s errant and is not needed. I mainly run Fender amps, some of which you can crank up the gain without getting a lot of overdrive. Maybe there’s a trick in there somewhere?

Any thoughts? Nothing on the OD list sounds like it might do the trick, but I’m just beginning this search. Timmy maybe? It’s late here so I can’t really try it now. But I’m home all day tomorrow…

Thanks for your thoughts!

Greg

Try the Input Trim knob in the amp block. Turning that up just a touch (1.1 - 1.5 ish, ymmv) works really well with many amps.

Try the Input Trim knob in the amp block. Turning that up just a touch (1.1 - 1.5 ish, ymmv) works really well with many amps.
doesn't do the same thing as an always on drive. it's not about gain, it's about pre-eq and how in hits the front of the amp

WIth the options you have in the amp block, a separate drive really isn't necessary. For example, in the <Basic> section, use the Saturation Switch set to 'Ideal' and adjust the 'Saturation Drive' to get the gain/grit level you want and in the <GEQ> choose an eq, set to 'Pre P.A.', to shape the tone. You may find just the GEQ is enough depending upon how much you add in each frequency.

For a different type of breakup, the 'Preamp Dynamics' and 'Character' in the <Dynamics> section can add a boost feel without a lot of gain but would more than likely need the GEQ to add the fullness. Turning up 'Negative Feedback' in the <Power Amp> section will give more fullness to the tone as well.

@2112 made a great video about all the drive blocks in the AX8.

If the video does not start in the right place, go to 24 minutes and 16 seconds to hear the fet boost with workhorse settings.

I would definitely recommend his 'workhorse' settings for going into a cleanish fender amp. I use it all the time myself with the deluxe reverb model.

Definitely watch @2112's videos. One argument for using drives as opposed to amp parameters would be to tighten up the low end or to help even out certain frequencies depending on your guitar. There are several drive options that could be really helpful in that department. There are no fix-all rules with this unit. Tone is so subjective and the rest of your equipment makes a huge difference in how the AX8 reacts. Ultimately you are going to have to spend a lot of time experimenting to figure out what works for you. That said, the tones are in there and you will probably stumble upon new amp and cab models that you may not have considered. Leon's tutorials will definitely shave quite a bit of time off the process though. As will the rest of the tutorials on the website. This community is fantastic. Good luck!

what exact pedal and amp did you use before? that information can help.

A very obscure tube overdrive by Siegmund. Bought it from a good friend, but no longer have it. Another regret. This is how he used it. At the time, I was playing PODs and this pedal really enchanced my tones. When I bought my Axe II, I sold almost everything. Most I don't regret.

No amp per se. My church had gone to silent stage well before this, so all was run direct. I did the same thing at home.

Thanks for the responses! I will dig into those now.

Greg

Definitely watch @2112's videos. One argument for using drives as opposed to amp parameters would be to tighten up the low end or to help even out certain frequencies depending on your guitar.
While I agree to a certain extent, the thing that should be changed with the AX8, or any other Fractal modeler for that matter, is thinking in "real world" terms or application. There are options in the amp block that simply do no exist on a "real" amp. The Tech Notes in the News and Announcements section of the Forum is invaluable reading for anyone wanting to get more out their gear. The thread "The Power of Pre-EQ" is a great read and states:
Pre-EQ can make amps sound warmer, or tighten the bass. It can be used to increase brightness without becoming harsh. Pre-EQ is also very useful with amps on the verge of breakup or mildly overdriven. Experiment with boosting frequencies to give your leads a more vocal character or make them more unique.
There are many secrets, tips and tricks just waiting to be unlocked and discovered if we will simply take the time to read what @FractalAudio has been so generous in providing. Reading some of those threads is what has taken my tone shaping with the AX8 to a completely different level. But it takes a paradigm shift from the way things have to work to how things can work. It's as simple as reading a bit, then trying what you learned and applying the things that give you the results you want.

I checked out Leon's video. Excellent stuff! But nothing really jumped out for me in terms of the "leave-on" thing. I had used the RCB that way in the past, but I do believe the Fender models are much better now (this was a few years back), so I'm convinced they don't really need much "help" from me. Still, it was a fun exercise. I did turn up the Input Gain and that definitely gives me more of what I was after.

My main amps have been Fenders. Urban Tweed and SF Twin. I owned a SF Twin of this vintage back in the day and dearly loved it. And this model really takes me a happy time in my life. It takes drives well, so my Scenes can just use that one amp very happily. The Twin sonically seems to bring out the best in these ODs (often the Shimmer Drive), adding clarity and power to solos and parts. As a worship player, i am always playing parts usually up around the octave. SF Twin sounds great, as does the Urban Tweed.

Thanks everyone. A pleasure being part of this community, as always! Thank God for Leon, Chris, Yek, and many many more! You guys seriously rock!

I'd check out the Klone settings that have been posted, the SDD, RC Booster or the Micro Boost...all have worked well in that capacity for me. (you know I play the same type of stuff as you)

I've been messing with a filter or eq block to save cpu on the Ax8's at church...while they are great for hitting the front of an amp, they don't do the same as the right drive block.

I've also been playing the blues OD with the tone at 0 that some have been talking about...but even at those settings it's fairly bright to me. Was hoping for a Morning Glory vibe. Maybe further eq in the block will get it there.

I'd check out the Klone settings that have been posted, the SDD, RC Booster or the Micro Boost...all have worked well in that capacity for me. (you know I play the same type of stuff as you)

I've been messing with a filter or eq block to save cpu on the Ax8's at church...while they are great for hitting the front of an amp, they don't do the same as the right drive block.

I've also been playing the blues OD with the tone at 0 that some have been talking about...but even at those settings it's fairly bright to me. Was hoping for a Morning Glory vibe. Maybe further eq in the block will get it there.
For the Blues OD (or any of the others) you can always reduce the high cut to tame the high end.

I forgot to list that one in my previous post...

A large part of the appeal of using certain "always on" pedals is the way they can change the interaction between your guitars volume/tone controls and the amp. For example, connecting a germanium boost to an amp and rolling off your guitar volume control can give you a sweeter sound than just running the amp unboosted with the volume cranked.

The Workhorse settings I posted are a very close match of a Klone I own (made by a friend here in Western Australia) set as a clean boost, and it behaves very similarly to the real pedal; try change the clip type to germanium for a different flavour. The SDD is gorgeous with a Vox style amp and the Blues OD with the tone on 0 is perfect for Mayer/SRV style stuff.

Back
Top Bottom