Leave it on all day?

May be the odd guy out on this...computers I usually let remain on, audio interfaces warm up and emit heat, so does the FM3. I've got a dinky room fan in the main room and an AC in the next room, and cook opposite the main room where the computer/FM3 is.

Need as much chill time as possible in this apartment, so gonna say, "Don't stoke the furnace unless it's cold outside," said the guy with the sweater. 88°F haze today.

Reactions: Rex
Simple, turn it off when not using it. Capacitors don't like heat. Heat shortens their life. Especially thee ones with non-solid electrolyte.
Depending on the temperature rating of the electrolytic caps they may last 6 to 10 years of constant 24/7 use @ 40C.
Not sure what FM3 uses but no worries to use your unit whenever you like.

Cliff said he's left IIIs on for months before without issues so doubt the FM3 will be any different

Yep. This crops up on the Helix pages from time to time. Frank has said several times that (prior to the fires in Cali) they had units that were left on for years without issue.

since Fm3 is a native digital product, a permanent on, vs. switching off, should not affect sound in any direction.
just my 2 cents on this, but it might affect your invoice from local electricity suplier, sligthly ;)

Please stop wasting energy, how much effort does it take to switch devices on and off when needed?

Just what I was thinking. Global warming effects in the news dayly..

Before pointing fingers, perhaps stop to think that if in fact (as stated by an industry leader/expert in the vid I posted above), electronic devices last longer when left on, then such devices need to be replaced more often when regularly turned on/off. Replacing these devices more often costs energy related to manufacturing / distribution / packaging / ... Have you done the math to confirm which practice is less energy intensive overall?

Before pointing fingers, perhaps stop to think that if in fact (as stated by an industry leader/expert in the vid I posted above), electronic devices last longer when left on, then such devices need to be replaced more often when regularly turned on/off. Replacing these devices more often costs energy related to manufacturing / distribution / packaging / ... Have you done the math to confirm which practice is less energy intensive overall?

It is a mindset. And I didn’t say it looking for an argument but ok. If only about the fm3 it depends on the useage by the owner. It wasn’t just about the fm3. Ppl leave complete sets/ studios on.

Some experts will say that the off/on cycles will cause more wear over time than just leaving it on.
I know the Mythbusters did a take on the myth that turning lights on and off uses more energy than leaving them on, and it turned out to be busted big time.

I know the Mythbusters did a take on the myth that turning lights on and off uses more energy than leaving them on, and it turned out to be busted big time.
So they proved it's not a myth that on/off uses more? and true that always on uses less? Anyway - I'm going with PS Audio's expertise which is that devices sound better/last longer always on. Energy use is another question that I think should be evaluated to include the energy cost of making/replacing the device when it wears out prematurely.

Last edited:
Two different things; no one was debating whether leaving the unit on used more energy, it was about the wear and tear on the electronics from turning it off and on (presumably from being cycled with power/heat & cold) vs a steady state of being left on. 'Cause, yeah; leaving it on is gonna use electricity, without doubt lol.

Back
Top Bottom