Learning how to mix? Any tips?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I'm getting into home recording and would like to get better at the mixing process. Can anyone recommend any sites or tutorials? Especially in terms of learning to EQ tracks, add compression and effects. Stuff like that. I'm not really sure where to start.

I tried reading some books but it's so technical that it seems way over my head. People I've asked just tell me to eq by ear. But I don't have the chops for that

Any tips or tricks for starting out would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no pro, but I'm sitting on my first recording right now (will be released soon, will share the link here, it's gonna be free). What's most important is the EQ, that's right. But if you only do it by ear, it's not gonna be enough. You have to have a plan, otherwise the mix won't work. For example for the guitars, there's no need to have very low frequencies, so put a highpass filter on the guitars, Do this for all instruments, for every track. E.g. in the basedrum I cut out all mid frequencies, so it's not just low frequencies.

The next thing is where to "place" certain instruments in the mix. E.g. if you want to push 1.4kHz on the guitars (at least that's what I did), you should lower this frequency on other tracks. But not too much, just a tiny bit until you hear, that the guitars come out better without really being louder. Very important is the snare (in my opinion), look for the frequency which makes the snare shine. What's very hard, at least for me, is basedrum and bassguitar. I found good EQ settings now, but it took a lot longer than other settings. And of course the hardest of all is vocals, oh boy!!! My approach was to send the vox into two busses so I have three tracks for it with the same content. One of them I just compressed a bit, so it still sounds organic. In the second track I compressed the hell out of it and the third track was for a stereo enhancer effect to be able to make the vocals sound bigger. Then I create the vocal sound by finding the right balance between the three tracks.

Also very important is the reverb. I use one bus with one reverb effect and send stuff in there from the other tracks. I have quite a lot of reverb for the snare, a bit less for the hihat and toms. Use the ambience mics for giving the whole drumset a room, maybe send a bit of the ambience to the reverb aswell. The guitars and bass don't need a lot of reverb, but the vocals do. You could use a different reverb for the vocals, but I didn't do that, so I cannot give real hints there.
When doing the settings for the reverb, don't forget the predelay. I cannot really say much about reverb, I just changed values until I liked it.

What's really important is not to look at each instrument individually, but all of them as a whole. If e.g. the guitars don't sound as good as they could if you listen to only them, but sound great in the whole mix, that's when you got it right.

As I said, I'm no pro, so the above maybe doesn't make a lot of sense. But I showed my recording to others and they all liked it. All liked the sound, not all of them the music ;)

puremix.net has some good content and I reference Roey Izhaki's "Mixing Audio" quite a bit.

Since i saw the Axe Tutorial of Cooper, i like creativelive.com, there are several mixing courses.

Imho Jesse Cannons Fundamentals of Mixing .... is really helpful.

When mixing and using EQ, it's most often better to cut than to boost frequencies.

To find the frequencies to cut, use a surgical EQ (like Flux EQ) and boost it, then sweep the frequencies and find the ones that sounds the most annoying for each channel, those are the ones that you want to cut. After that it's just a matter of using your ears to determine how much cut is needed.

When I started of I intentionally restricted myself with regards to tools / hardware / plug-ins, to force myself to really get to know the tools and get the most out of them. This worked out great and I still restrict myself or at least only get a new piece of outboard or plug-in when I really need it or if I find something that is miles better than one of my current ones.

Restriction still works for me and forces me to find the solutions in there perspective of what is missing or wrong in the mix and how can I improve my skills, instead of just buying new plug-ins hoping to find the "magic" cure any and all problems in a mix plug-in, that marry-go-around should be familiar to most guitarists, and is mostly non-productive and takes the focus away from your mix.

Another really important this - if not the most important one - is get a good room to mix in, well treated. This cannot be stressed enough and is far more important than uber-expensive monitors and gear.
There is a learning curve, and although it gets a lot easier after time, mastering mixing takes many years, just like going from scratch to a being a really good guitar player does.

While not a complete list of what I own for mixing, the list below reflects what I use on at least 99% of the mixes I do

Harware:
Metric Halo ULN-8
TC 2290
Axe Fx II

Software:
Logic X
Metric Halo Production Bundle (50% off through Oct)
Slate Digital VCC, VBC, VTM
Flux EQ
Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle

Hobe this answers some of your questions.
RB

I'm getting into home recording and would like to get better at the mixing process. Can anyone recommend any sites or tutorials? Especially in terms of learning to EQ tracks, add compression and effects. Stuff like that. I'm not really sure where to start.

I tried reading some books but it's so technical that it seems way over my head. People I've asked just tell me to eq by ear. But I don't have the chops for that

Any tips or tricks for starting out would be great.

Here's a great site. I've learned a lot from the vids.
https://www.youtube.com/user/VisionRecordingCt

check out the recording revolution on youtube. dude is great and there are tons of videos on how to do great work with basic equipment and plugins. he's a great teacher as well.

One thing I see a lot of people do during mixdown is isolate tracks and EQ/Compress them independent from the mix as a starting point. This ends up making the mix sound cluttered like a bunch of different instruments working against each other.

I recommend starting with everything at 0 and then adjusting from there, don't listen to instruments alone in the early phases of the mix, that is really only for dialing out little things, you need to shape the mix as a whole and then modify things to fit that mix. Depending on the genre I will also usually start without too many of the close mics up on the drums, generally it's overheads and kick to start the mix and then adjust from their to add attack on the other instruments. Removing unnecessary energy from the instruments will work work, like high passing guitars (as mentioned above). Generally you shouldn't be cutting or boosting EQ more than a few DB (+/- 6 is a lot) or things start to get drastic and won't sound like they go together - unless the source tracks are just wonky.

Also, I like to think of things in a stereo spectrum that would mimic the live environment. For example I usually try to pan the kit as if it is sitting in front of me, overheads generally hard pan, kick straight up, snare maybe just a bit L or R, toms moving across the mix. When double tracking guitars or harmony vocals I tend to pan those around as well, to give everything a bit of space.

The best advice I can give other than that would be to listen to music you are very familiar with on the speakers you are mixing with, at the volumes you will listen at, in the room you will be mixing in. This helps gain an understanding of what the desired result should sound like in that space. Last, but certainly not least, go off axis from the speakers, move around in the area and see if anything starts to stand out. Behind the speakers or in the next room is a great place to hear how the low frequencies are interacting with one another without the high frequencies cluttering up your ears.

HTH

Kevin

Starting to get a hang of it. Thanks for the great advice. I think i may subscribe to Groove3. It looks pretty affordable and informative

Back
Top Bottom