Learning Curve?

So my FM3 got here yesterday. I spent about 6 hours on it last night. I was able to figure out everything I need to know how to do that I do on my Helix floor.

Figured out Scenes and created my Sunday setlist presets. (manage presets)
Control Switch usage
Hooked up an external pedal - Strymon Big Sky
Figured out how to control external pedal via MIDI with FM3
Figured out Auto-Swell because I learned my Line 6 Mission Pedal is not compatible with Fractal products.
Figured out how to load an IR.

The tone out of the FM3 has so much more body and punch compared to Helix - Amazing product!

So my FM3 got here yesterday. I spent about 6 hours on it last night. I was able to figure out everything I need to know how to do that I do on my Helix floor.

Figured out Scenes and created my Sunday setlist presets. (manage presets)
Control Switch usage
Hooked up an external pedal - Strymon Big Sky
Figured out how to control external pedal via MIDI with FM3
Figured out Auto-Swell because I learned my Line 6 Mission Pedal is not compatible with Fractal products.
Figured out how to load an IR.

The tone out of the FM3 has so much more body and punch compared to Helix - Amazing product!
... Mission pedal not compatible ???
Mine works, and I bought it for my kemper !

I have the Line 6 Mission pedal, There is a thread on here that explains how it is wired differently. Worked perfect with my Helix. Not with Fractal though

Is that just a polarity thing? Some switches and pedals have a switch so that it can switch polarity. Keyboards are like that, although in some cases the keyboard itself can switch the polarity.

Is that just a polarity thing? Some switches and pedals have a switch so that it can switch polarity. Keyboards are like that, although in some cases the keyboard itself can switch the polarity.
unless it's changed, Line 6 Expression Pedals typically have a TS connector which is unique. most expression pedals have a TRS and that's what the Fractal and most other gear expects.

I saw a guy selling a FC-6 to get Morningstar mc6kII midi controller. He was looking for something smaller than the FC-6. Will a midi controller like the MC6Kll have the same amount of control options via midi as opposed to the faslink connected FC-6?

One of my last hurdles is the learning curve. Is the FM3 easy to get the hang of? Is your approach to start with a patch that is close to what you want and tweak from there or do you create from scratch? The last thing that I want to buy into the FM3 modeling thing and end up with an "oh shit" moment with a gig coming on the weekend. It's creating a little anxiety or agita, as we say.

I imagine I'm not the first to feel this way and there must be tutorials everywhere. You guys have been amazing so far with all my questions. Thank you!
I got my FM3 on Wed and I was worried at first about the UI and intricacies but after reading the manual and watching some tutorials it is pretty straight forward. I'd recommend not using the software and create patches from the unit. Watch Leon Todd on Youtube then dive back into the unit and finally the software. The software makes it very easy but understanding the layout of the unit is very useful.

I believe so - the thread I read, they were talking about rewiring the POT inside the pedal.

I didn't come from the Fractal universe at all before I got my FM3 last year. There is definitely a slight learning curve but I printed off the user manual and the blocks guide and read through them both a couple of times (and I'm still referencing them now). I also purchased the Cooper Carter course (which is amazing) and have been following Marco Fanton and Leon on Youtube for tips as well. I couldn't be happier with the sounds I'm using now and I've barely scratched the surface still of what it's capable of doing. If you're relatively okay with modellers in general and even traditional guitar equipment workflows then the learning curve really isn't that steep.

I highly recommend the user manual and blocks guide for some bedtime reading though.

I just got my FM3 in the mail, and it took me about 3 minutes to figure out my first mission which was to change the 2 outer buttons to change Presets instead of Scenes by default. Easy thing to change in the grand scheme of things, but it was my first stab at FM3 Edit.

I will say there is is a whole lot more going on versus Helix Edit, but it is not beyond me yet.

@Sthompson86 - I picked up my FM3 today. I was frantically trying to find your first posts with the FM# so I could see what your approach was.
The footswitches don't appear to be assigned to anything right now. Reading, watching, playing; repeat.

@Sthompson86 - I picked up my FM3 today. I was frantically trying to find your first posts with the FM# so I could see what your approach was.
The footswitches don't appear to be assigned to anything right now. Reading, watching, playing; repeat.

Before I got my stand in switch, I had the 2 outer buttons set to change presets when held. By default they change to the next set of scenes.

Now I have my stand in switch set to change presets, and changed the FM3 outer buttons back to changing the scenes.

Before I got my stand in switch, I had the 2 outer buttons set to change presets when held. By default they change to the next set of scenes.

Now I have my stand in switch set to change presets, and changed the FM3 outer buttons back to changing the scenes.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom