Lead volume boost question

Keith White

Experienced
have a gig tomorrow trying to set up a lead volume boost on scene 3 all my patches scene 3 is lead. What is the best way of doing this. only had this a week and the first gig with it came too soon

Why not at the end of the chain?
To me it sounds better to increase the volume going into the Reverb/Delay rather than the volume coming out... Because at the very end of the chain the trails are also going to get boosted.

Originally, I did put it at the end but I couldn't figure out why my solos seemed to be getting washed out. Moving it before made the difference to me.

The position of a boost before/after Delay/Reverb blocks makes no difference, unless the Drive parameter in the Delay block is turned up.

EDITED: see below.

Last edited:
The position of a boost before/after Delay/Reverb blocks makes no difference, unless the Drive parameter in the Delay block is turned up.

Boosting after will alter the repeat/reverb level of what's already been played into the blocks. Depending on effect mix & boost amount this can sound kind of strange IMO.

To clarify, this is about echo volume when the boost is actually switched, like ending a solo. A few seconds later (or whenever that buffer material becomes inaudible) it won't matter, except with drive as you mentioned, or maybe ducking.

Yes, I have to retract my previous statement. I clearly wasn't awake yet... As you mentioned, it depends on on the use of the boost, but boost-after-delay/reverb obviously can impact the loudness of the trails.

Another option, I personally like for "lead" boosting is utilizing Amp Block's input boosting feature (in the preamp section) via scene controller.
A lot of tonal options to choose from in the "Boost Type" dropdown. I find this can really bring out some screaming lead tones. What's nice is it can really be tweaked and balanced to your tonal needs.

It's one of my favorite features in the "Amp Block", such a brilliant idea.

Good luck and have a great gig!

Another option, I personally like for "lead" boosting is utilizing Amp Block's input boosting feature (in the preamp section) via scene controller.
A lot of tonal options to choose from in the "Boost Type" dropdown. I find this can really bring out some screaming lead tones. What's nice is it can really be tweaked and balanced to your tonal needs.

It's one of my favorite features in the "Amp Block", such a brilliant idea.

Good luck and have a great gig!

Yes, but that's boosting before gain in the Amp block. Meaning that the boost will add gain, but (unless it's a clean amp) it won't increase the overall signal level which is often needed.

I use a filter block, controlled by an expression pedal. Pedal down gives me 3 to 5 db gain. Right now it is positioned at the end of the chain.I tried moving before the effects, but for me it made no difference.

Back
Top Bottom