Lead Volume and Volume Leveling

Overdrive

Inspired
I got my MFC and just played my last gig with the Marshall, so I'm finalizing my Axe rig for band practice next week. But I'm finding the various options for boosting volume for leads confusing.

Adding a filter block at the end of a preset chain to use as a volume boost seems to be a popular solution to go from rhythm to lead volume. However, if you've set all your preset levels evenly so they don't clip, will the output clip when you use the boost? Do you have to set all preset volumes and then lower them all by the amount you'll use the filter block to boost by, say, 6 db or whatever?

Do more distorted, high gain presets need a higher volume boost to cut through?

Some of you have also mentioned a global boost option; will one setting, say a +6db gain, work across all presets? Do you maybe use a volume pedal in combination with the boost options?

It seems that the filter block volume boost option might also need to be a different db value for tonally different presets?

Many thanks for anyone who can share your expertise!

The way I do it is to use M@'s method for a boost on the MFC... You assign an IA switch as a boost then map that Midi CC to the output volume... Set "normal" to a cc value of 115 then 127 to be the on this boost a the signal for a bit extra.

Also I have taken to have an Amp X/Y IA on the MFC and set a lead tone... Could be just the boost button enabled on from the X amp (copied x to y) or a different amp.

I then boost the Amp Y as my "Lead Channel"

Combination of these two methods work well for me.

As for volume levelling and getting the patches the same level... Need to do it at performance levels in a band mix... I make notes during rehearsals saying things like patch 2 needs to be louder or the FX loop in patch 7 need to be louder etc.... Then make the changes later.

I did try to use Axe-Edit at rehearsal once... That was a disaster :-( Axe-Edit would need to become more stable before I risk that again.

Good luck .... And will be interested to hear others tips too.

The way I do it is to use M@'s method for a boost on the MFC... You assign an IA switch as a boost then map that Midi CC to the output volume... Set "normal" to a cc value of 115 then 127 to be the on this boost a the signal for a bit extra.

Also I have taken to have an Amp X/Y IA on the MFC and set a lead tone... Could be just the boost button enabled on from the X amp (copied x to y) or a different amp.

I then boost the Amp Y as my "Lead Channel"

Combination of these two methods work well for me.

As for volume levelling and getting the patches the same level... Need to do it at performance levels in a band mix... I make notes during rehearsals saying things like patch 2 needs to be louder or the FX loop in patch 7 need to be louder etc.... Then make the changes later.

I did try to use Axe-Edit at rehearsal once... That was a disaster :-( Axe-Edit would need to become more stable before I risk that again.

Good luck .... And will be interested to hear others tips too.

Thanks, very helpful.

But if you have preset levels set to not clip, and then hit the IA switch to boost, does it output clip then?

Your volume leveling comment, to do it in a band mix, was helpful--can I infer that that might be more practical than a db meter? That the "apparent volume" in a mix might not equal the actual db volume, for say, a high-gain patch?

Thanks!

M@'s Boost trick does not clip the output, basically you are setting the normal to be a few db under the normal output... I suppose it "Might" clip the power amp if you don't have that set up correctly.... But I have never had that problem.

Using arbitrary figures... Output is by default set to 100 ... By using m@'s method you reduce that to say 80 for normal .... Then when you hit the boost it returns to 100.

I will see if I can dig out the post where he talks you through it.... Pretty sure it is in the wiki... Maybe in the MFC wiki.

As for levelling with a db meter... Never done it.

I have spent many an hour setting up presets at home level only to be totally wrong in a band environment.... Guess a lot of factors come in to play EQ of the other instruments ... The merkin effect (or what ever the effect is called about how we hear at different volumes)

This issue of levelling is not just an Axe-FX issue... I had the same issues when I ran pods... Except the Axe is a hell of a lot more flexible in fixing it.

fletcher-munson. But I like the merkin effect - good one. I want to start a merkin museum in my old age.

You know you can always set your levels with the boost on then save all presets with the boost off that way all patchs are even and you know for sure that the boost can never case a clip

Great input all, thanks.

Have you found that overdriven, high-gain presets need to have their volume level relatively louder than clean presets to cut through? This seems to be the case with my tube amp.

I don't use high gain personally... I tend to use cleanish amps and add dirt through pedals.... But yes I have seen this with Fuzz especially.

Ive always been a fan of the rhythm lead preset combination. I have 2 crunchy presets with a louder version of it as the secondary tap, 2 heavy presets with louder secondary and some cleaner ones. I usually like my lead tone to have increased delay, saturation, etc...and an X/Y doesnt do that for me.

Not trying to change the way you work or tell you what you are doing is wrong, because what ever works for you is great.

I found recently that you can assign bypass to an External controller... This way I have a single IA (Ext-5) assigned to a switch on my MFC. When the IA is in an Off state it does one set of FX, then when it is on it switches to the other set of multiple FX.

In this instance it swaps the order of Trem and Reverb.... When EXT-5 is off I get reverb into Trem, then when I switch Ext-5 to On... I get Trem into reverb.

Just an example of how it can be used and I am sure I will be using this sort of thing in future.

Not sure if this is on interest to anyone or if it is obvious ... But I just figured it and it really helps.

Back
Top Bottom