Lead Delay tap tempo or set time?

warlockII

Fractal Fanatic
Sadly, I've never given a ton of thought to my delay settings for my Leads...I've been a set it and forget it guy. Lately I've been thinking I should have another thing to get anal about with my presets :eek: I think there's 3 basic categories people can fall in, with possibly a combination of them:
1. Set delay for most songs, ex. 500 ms stereo delay
2. Tap tempo for each song
3. Set time for each song
I'm intrigued to see what works best for you. Please school this old dog!

Last edited:
I've done a few videos on dialling in lead delays - the "set time vs timed subdivision" would be a good topic to explore. Timed rhythmic delays are an essential part of playing certain songs in our set so I tend to go with a similar approach for leads, but it's more about getting the tone of the delay right than the specific time for me.

Leon,
Thanks for chiming in. I've watched them multiple times...I need to at least one more time to see if it will stick!!

@2112 , I was so focused on your playing and settings that I missed where you said you tapped in your tempo.
Thanks again for your quick feedback!

I wouldn't trust myself for tap for a lead, so I would set it at practice. Being consistent (the whole band) helps a lot.

I never tap tempo. My main delay changes. Sometimes it's a 319 ms tape delay, sometimes it's 2 delays in series doing 375/500. Right now, it's a multitap delay set to 376/768.

My rhythm delays are tempo specific for each song and the right tempo is crucial. Which means I have to tap tempo to fit with the rest of the band or the band, a.k.a. the drummer has to pay good attention to the blinking tempo light on my MFC. Digital duel dela with mod is my thing. Dotted 8 on the one and I think 1/4 or 1/8 on the other side. I'm not sure writing this from memory. The TC Nova Delay I used before had this setting and I loved it and I've ported it over when I switched to the Axe-FX.

For leads though I usually stick to a 315ms tempo, what I call the Pink Floyd setting, as around 315ms was about the max Gilmour got out of his Binson Echorec. At least I thought it was 315ms, now I read its 300ms, but who cares, I like it now. A basic analog delay with mod is what I use.

We play with a click a at church, so all of my delays are set to the tempo of the song. I usually an 1/8 note delay, unless the song calls for a Dotted 1/8 note delay.

Back
Top Bottom