LB2 vs Suhr RL

Srini

Folks,

I realize this horse may have been beaten to death, but I'm in the market for one of these units (LB2 or the Suhr RL - the old one, not the IR version). I'm sure I'm incapable of hearing the difference, if there is any, because they apparently have similar impedance curves. However, right now, a new Suhr RL costs about $350, while a new LB2 is $275 from Fractal.

This is totally a studio use case, and the unit will never be moved once it is plugged in (assuming all is well!). Specifically, I will be using the unit with a Ceriatone OTS Mini (on order) in a 4CM setup with the FM3.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Srini

I use the LB-2 with my real amps 95% of the time. Plus, it’s nice that Fractal modeling units have LB-2 impedance curves in case you ever want to match an amp model with one of your heads.

The LB-2 has the advantages of lower price, two switchable impedance curves, and the impedance curves are perfectly modeled in the amp block of the FM3 / FM9 / Axe-FX III.

The only two reasons I can think of to favor the Suhr are 1. Name recognition / resale value and 2. Made in the USA.

I just bought a used Suhr RL, was torn between the two but seemed a majority of feedback (even on this forum) gave the edge to the Suhr unit in terms of feel, and both seemed better reviewed than the Captor. I’m sure either are very good though. Maybe one isn’t better, but subjectively different enough one may prefer one over the other.

I’ll let you know how the Suhr works for me

Hey guys, update....I found a used Suhr RL on Reverb for $225, so I grabbed it. I have used the Suhr before, and made the big mistake of letting it go. It's definitely one of those set-it-and-forget-it kind of units, and sounds just great. I really did want to experiment a little with the LB-2, but hey, why miss a good deal, right?

Thanks for your input!

Srini

Just in case ...I did make a video with these 2 units...very very close to each other...I went for the Suhr because it just felt better 'reactive' and did not have a little of that very high end 'fizz'....but someone else might not even hear it , so just go for the one that feels better to you...and as you bought the Suhr : Cant go wrong !!

Just in case ...I did make a video with these 2 units...very very close to each other...I went for the Suhr because it just felt better 'reactive' and did not have a little of that very high end 'fizz'....but someone else might not even hear it , so just go for the one that feels better to you...and as you bought the Suhr : Cant go wrong !!

I had watched your video earlier, and while it's certainly a great video, I was hard pressed to tell the difference. I chalk it up to YouTube, because I'm sure the difference was pretty subtle. In any event, I did find a used Suhr, so it's all good. I expect it will arrive today. As I mentioned, I've used the Suhr before and recorded with it, so I'm totally sold on it; but the LB-2 is cheaper, so I wondered if I would lose anything. But then, I got this Suhr even cheaper, so it all worked out.

I had watched your video earlier, and while it's certainly a great video, I was hard pressed to tell the difference. I chalk it up to YouTube, because I'm sure the difference was pretty subtle. In any event, I did find a used Suhr, so it's all good. I expect it will arrive today. As I mentioned, I've used the Suhr before and recorded with it, so I'm totally sold on it; but the LB-2 is cheaper, so I wondered if I would lose anything. But then, I got this Suhr even cheaper, so it all worked out.
It is all fine man , even without the YT compression, the difference it very very subtle so either way , you are set :)

I use the LB-2 with my real amps 95% of the time. Plus, it’s nice that Fractal modeling units have LB-2 impedance curves in case you ever want to match an amp model with one of your heads.
Are you still using the LB-2 as your main reactive load with real amps or have you moved onto something else?

There’s probably a technical reason for it, but why does none of the modern attenuators allow for adjustable attenuation? I’d love a 3-10db attenuation with these modern IR features.

There’s probably a technical reason for it, but why does none of the modern attenuators allow for adjustable attenuation? I’d love a 3-10db attenuation with these modern IR features.
No IR feature, but it has an out that you could probably run into an IR loader of your choice:

https://www.tedweber.com/mass/

They have different attenuators based on the output wattage of your amp. I have the mini mass and love it, although since getting my FM9 the Weber gets very little use.

Ha! It took clicking through and reading multiple messages before I realized we were talking about the Suhr Reactive Load and the Fractal X-LOAD, one of which I own. I’m relieved Suhr isn’t just selling letters. 😂

Back
Top Bottom