• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Layout help on FM3 and FC-6

Chris Kane

Hello,
I have been racking my brain for a few days and for the life of me I can’t figure this out.

as stated in the title I have a FM3 and the FC6. I have them connected and the switches are responsive.
I control my presets through midi. I would like my switches to be laid out the same way on every preset change, 4 scenes, 4 effects and the last switch being the tuner.

I have tried every lay out and when it seems like everything is lined up right I leave the preset and come back to it and the switches are labeled different every time. I have watched many YouTube videos and have read everybody’s threads here on the forum but I still can’t figure it out. I have even read the PDF manual and I hey I’m still lost.

I’m not sure if I have to have changes on the FM3 as well as the Axe Edit? I have reset the control switches a couple times to start from scratch but I am still having trouble. Also, when I have the unit off and turn it on it never seems to go to the layout that I last edited. Is that common? I would basically like to set it up to play live and when I turn it on I don’t want to have to push a bunch of switches to get to where I need to be. I just want A basic pedalboard set up.

I would appreciate any advice, pointing me in the right direction and having a step-by-step process to get what I need.
Thank you very much,
Chris

rsvette12

Inspired
See if this helps out - it works you just have to tinker - its confusing to me - think like this it routes thru the FM3 to the FC-6
Its not like its one unit - You think of it like the FM3 comes first then it goes to the FC-6 unit in that order - hard to explain

You need to have the FC-6 as the final part of the chain - I am far from an expert as I only had this for 4 weeks - Chris was a great help and he has YT video tuts which you prob all ready know

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/foot-controller-assignment-issue.172201/

Chris Kane

Thanks for the help. I spent all day trying to figure it out.

I had my first preset working perfectly and so I went to my second one. It seemed ok until I went back to my first preset and everything that I changed on the 2nd preset affected my 1st preset. So frustrating. All I want is to be able to assign the individual switches on the FM3 and the FC6 to their own scene or effect. Why is this such a hard thing to do?

Do you know anything about the Per Preset layout?

Starting to bum me out,
Chris

rsvette12

Inspired
Sorry its trial and error and I just sold my units - I only setup 9 scenes - the other stuff is beyond me - hopefully someone can chime in here

It is a pia at least for me it was just to setup scenes - make sure in menu FC-6 is selected on left side and you can turn on FC-6 light above on it wont wok from what I noticed and there is no save state it just remembers what you put in - good luck

Time to setup my AXE III and FC-12 - that should be easy to do as I am not dealing with two different units

Chris Kane

Thanks for trying to help. I keep thinking that it might come together if I keep trying. But it sure is frustrating. I did know about that switch on the left side of the edit page.

I just bought these while I am waiting for my Quad Cortex to arrive. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment...lol

rsvette12

Inspired
Trying to get new Axe hooked up - check in later - hang in there even when you figure it out you prob wont know how you did it :) thas how it worked out for me

Fat Biscuit

I had some issues until I realized the FM3 and FC6 SHARE layouts. Try making separate layouts for each device and assingning the FM3 to start with one layout and FC6 another different layout. For example, if you want the fm3's switches to be scenes 1 through 3, make layout one have only scenes 1 through 3 then have layout 2 (FC6) have scene 4 and have four switches be per-preset switches that you assign as specific effects in each preset. That way when you change presets, the per-preset switches can change to whatever you assign them to be in that preset.

Chris Kane

Those are all great ideas, I have tried them all and unfortunately it hasn’t helped. I did buy this FM three used so I think my next step is to do a factory reset... and start from scratch. Thank you so much for chiming in, I will keep at this.

Chris

Fat Biscuit

It took me awhile to wrap my head around the layouts. I expected the Effects layout to show me the effects in each preset, and was confused when it showed me the same views in every preset. Switching over to per-preset switches solved this for me.

Chris Kane

Probably a common question but I am going to ask them anyway. When you are setting the switches on the PC controllers, I am having trouble knowing what to do. On the far left side I make sure it says FM 3 and I have done what you said about wanting the FM 3 to be scenes. But what do I do when I go to program the FC6? Do you think it would be more practical to hit the FC 12 on the left side and adjust the first nine switches. But that doesn’t seem to do anything either. A lot of times it will make the FM 3 and the first row of the FC 6 switches to be duplicated.

Fat Biscuit

If the switches are duplicated then I think they're both showing the same layout. You can set things so that the FM3 is on a different layout than the FC6.

rsvette12

Inspired
Without having FM3 unit and FC-6 now its hard to help out

But what do I do when I go to program the FC6?

Try this when you do FM3 first make sure FM3 is selected on left side - for the heck of it turn on the FM3 light above - only FM3

Make your scene settings scene 1 for button 1 / scene 2 for button 2 / scene 3 for button 3

Then on left side select FC-6 and shut off the top lighted button for FM3 then turn on middle one for the FC-6

Make your scene settings scene 4 for button 4 / scene 5 for button 5 / scene 6 for button 6 ETC.

Then leave it alone see if that works - what I mean is on left side leave the FC-6 as selected

Chris Kane

That keeps the buttons on the FM 3 the same as the FC 6 (lower half). Shouldn’t I select a different layout for the FC6?

rsvette12

Inspired
Yes I think your right in layout menu make FC-6 number 2 - before doing directions for FC-6 process I wrote above

I am not expert in this I just fumbled thru it until I got it to work - the link I put above to my page should have helped you

Be nice if Fractal support could chime in a bit

Chris Kane

Yes it would be nice but I know how busy they can be. So far it seems to be working but I’m half afraid of going to another preset and lose everything LOL

what I did for the FC6 is, I put that on layout six which is the Per-Preset, which I’m sure you all know. I then assigned 6 different commands to the 6 different switches.

rsvette12

Inspired
You can save out layout to be re-imported in if your scared lol I was to - even that was convoluted - I think those switches ( button layouts picked ) have to be in correct choices for it to work - I saved out layout to desktop bring it in sometimes it worked sometimes not

I think the FC-6 button on left has to be showing and on layout 2 - FM3 switches rifle thru to the FC-6 the FC-6 being last in chain - thats why its confusing - its not one unit its FM3 into the FC6 - FC-6 being last in chain - last in chain meaning thats what should be on not FM3

Top Bottom