Layout #8 "Custom" Question - 2 Views Or Not?

PRSfreak4

Power User
Let me preface that I did RTFN and here's a direct quote from Pg. 72 - "Layout 8 is empty and can be used for anything you want to create."

My straight to the point question is why is the View 2 button greyed out in Layout #8?

1632235279871.png

My goal is a performance layout that I can export and import for my FX, Utility, and Looper chains with additional capabilities to maximize the use of my "kitchen sink" preset. I'm building these in FM9-Edit on Mac OS. I first noticed that I added a View 1 > View 2 button similar to the default "PRESETS" > "SCENES" layout link when you first fire it up, but this is an explicit LAYOUT button.

Just wondering if I am missing something in the features or if this is by design for some reason. Is it possible to have 2 Views for the custom Layout #8?

Thanks in advance!

Since I don't have my FM9 yet and I have an FC-12 for use with my Axe Fx III, I haven't used Views yet.

But, a view is a subset of 12 possible switches in a layout that is divided by the number of switches on the device.

So, an FM3 will have 4 views of 3 buttons (4x3==12) and and FC-6 will have 2 views of 6 buttons (2x6==12).

You can't divide 12 by 9 evenly, so I suspect that is why.

Also, just FYI, you can use ANY layout for anything you want, they are all completely customizable ;)

Also, just FYI, you can use ANY layout for anything you want, they are all completely customizable ;)

Haha, thanks for that, I did discover this also on the FM-3.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense, just wondering if it is ever possible or if there is another need for it elsewhere. I can make do with the way it is, I just think having 2 views possible might be a nice feature for any of the layouts. Just expands the possibilities ya know?

Thx @unix-guy!

Haha, thanks for that, I did discover this also on the FM-3.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense, just wondering if it is ever possible or if there is another need for it elsewhere. I can make do with the way it is, I just think having 2 views possible might be a nice feature for any of the layouts. Just expands the possibilities ya know?

Thx @unix-guy!
If you add an FC6, you can use Layout 8 with Views - but you have to switch to FC6 in the little black box above the View switches.... ;)

Last edited:
Have you tried adding a function to any of the blank switches in the top left of your photo? Possible that View 2 isn't shown as an option because there are no switches assigned to a function? View 2 is supposed to show the remaining 3 switches not displayed in view 1 (page 81 of manual).

Have you tried adding a function to any of the blank switches in the top left of your photo? Possible that View 2 isn't shown as an option because there are no switches assigned to a function? View 2 is supposed to show the remaining 3 switches not displayed in view 1 (page 81 of manual).
Interesting...

Even if not used this way, it's a place you can stick any stand-in switches you might want to use....

I finally remembered to check this tonight and I am also unable to select View 2 from FM9-EDIT.

There are functions assigned to the all the switches, so that's not the issue.

@Admin M@ - is page 81 of the FM9 manual wrong or is this maybe a bug?

I finally remembered to check this tonight and I am also unable to select View 2 from FM9-EDIT.

There are functions assigned to the all the switches, so that's not the issue.

@Admin M@ - is page 81 of the FM9 manual wrong or is this maybe a bug?

I suspect the manual may be what is wrong, not the software.

If you switched to View 2, what would the rest of the 9 switches do when only 3 switch definitions exist in the View?

I just messed with it a little and it actually works the way the manual says. So you can switch to View 2 on the unit. FM9 Edit just doesn’t seem to let you switch to visualize View 2.

Something else interesting is that switches in View 1 are still active in View 2 even though the scribble strip just shows “- -“. For example, in the above manual excerpt @unix-guy posted, you’d think switches 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9 won’t do anything in View 2 but they actually do whatever they did in View 1.

Last edited:
I have an FC-6 with an FM-9 and programming both sets of switches is kicking my butt, too...

Trying to get 6 scenes, back up/down and the banks page button on the FM9 with 6 effects toggles on the fc-6.

I have an FC-6 with an FM-9 and programming both sets of switches is kicking my butt, too...

Trying to get 6 scenes, back up/down and the banks page button on the FM9 with 6 effects toggles on the fc-6.

In my dual FC6 setup with the 'old and busted' Mk1 FX3, I had three layouts to make it all go - Presets, Scenes, and Effects.

Effects stayed put on FC6 #2, while the other two switched places on FC6 #1. Selecting a preset automagically swapped in the Scenes layout via a Layout Link. The Scenes layout had scenes 1-4 on tap and the other 4 on hold, and Layout Links on the holds to swap to the second View in that layout to get scenes 5-8. On the second view with 5-8, scenes 1-4 were on hold with the Layout Link taking you back to the first View.

Sounds like that's about what you're trying to do with the FM9 and FC6.

In my FM9, I pretty much set it up the same way, but it would be almost no effort to quickly adjust my layouts temporarily to what you want and export them. :)

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2021-10/DA BANK.fclayout

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2021-10/SCENES 1-6.fclayout

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2021-10/SCENES 3-8.fclayout

I set up two Scenes layouts - one with 1-6, the other with 3-8. Holds on 3, 4, 5, and 6 take you to 3, 4, 5, and 6 on the other Scenes layout, while holds on 1 and 2 take you to 7 and 8 on the other layout and holds on 7 and 8 take you to 1 and 2 on the other layout. There is also a Layout switch to toggle Scenes layouts, with a switch back to the Bank layout on hold. The PDL6 layout is for pedals, and is left empty except for the top corner with the View switch in each view, so you can swap Views easily....

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/midi-backup-file-2021-10/PDL 6b.fclayout

Back
Top Bottom