Layering guitar helpful tips…?

I am about to start a very serious recording project which will be my 1st since I got my Axe a year ago. Until now my coverband, session work with other artists and some demo has kept me busy. Now, my original band is getting back together to re-record our 1st album (to get it right this time) and record a new one, and I thought to myself "what a perfect time to really dig into the Axe for guitar layering & reamping". I intend to use 1 dry track to reamping the layers from as opposed to multiple takes.

I don't have any tips myself but I though I'd start a thread so people could share their experiences with eachother to help people like me. I am curious:
1 how are you running your set up to monitor your tones to reamp?
2 how do your settings differ when you layer guitar tracks as opposed to trying to nail it with 1.
tone/preset?
3 what combinations have you found that work well together?
I never reamp so can’t speak of that but to get a huge guitar sound I record 1 track with usually a Marshall ( jcm 800 modded) panned left. Then something like a Friedman panned right. I then nudge one track to the right ever so slightly so they’re a bit off centre from each other. A few ticks. I record in Logic Pro. This creates a huge sounding guitar track giving off the illusion of a wider stereo field. Try it you won’t be disappointed!!

I recently joined an AC/DC tribute band, and noticed Malcom’s guitar is panned left, Angus to the right, and the guitar solos are up the middle. Neither play very high gain, and it sounds very full, sometimes playing similar parts, often not.

Back
Top Bottom