Latency

Anyone know what the latency is with the Axe Fx and the Axe Fx Ultra? I have an Ultra and notice a small amount when I play. Nothing really jarring, but enough that I notice it. Is there anything from the user end that I can do to minimize this?

FYI, I'm monitoring directly and I'm not doing anything crazy in terms of blocks or routing... Nothing that I would consider to be the most processor intensive such as harmonizers, pitch shifters, etc.

Thanks,
-Matt

Any latency is probably your reproduction system. The Axe-Fx latency is only around 1 ms.

Hi Cliff,

Running guitar=>Ultra=>mixing board=>monitors.

Does latency vary at all with amount/type blocks used in patch? Any reason that latency could approach 7ms or more in any case?

Thanks,
-Matt

Latency is independent of the number of blocks. There's a little extra latency through the amp and drive blocks but it's in the microseconds.

If you getting 7 ms then something is configured wrong. Perhaps you have the enhancer on and are only using the left output. The enhancer delays the left side from 0 to 20 ms.

It did a test a few months ago.....my testing system show me a latency of approx. 1.4ms. I'm always being a bit suspicious when playing over a digital device...well I was, until i got the axe :lol:
Before I played over a PODxt which has among tripple time more latency
than the axe, and I felt better on the POD for the first weeks, just because i was inured by the PODxt for the last years. But after a few more weeks and "better own patches" everything turned into "better feeling". Today I'm feeling great with the Axe. :D Finally :lol: :mrgreen:

Thanks Cliff... I'll double check my patches, but I don't think I'm running the enhancer. Perhaps it is just in my head. I'm big enough to admit that this is a distinct possibility as playing through a non-traditional rig tends to put such fears in the back of your conciousness, where you'd just dismiss them in the case of a tube amp, etc. ;)

In any event, I haven't measured the amount of latency (or lack thereof), but it seems like the amount of disconnect that you feel when playing far away from your rig versus right next to it... Nothing extreme, but just enough to make you think about it, esp during timing critical situations or fast runs. Hopefully this makes sense. I just wanted to get the official word on the actual latency spec, which you kindly gave (thanks!), to put my mind a bit more at ease.

Cheers,
-Matt

The added latency of the Axe-Fx is equivalent to about 15".

Maybe it's the mixing board or monitors. If it's a digital board it will have latency. If the monitors have Class-D power amps they will have latency.

FractalAudio said:
If the monitors have Class-D power amps they will have latency.

Only if there is a DSP (as it is on the powersoft DIGIMOD modules). Class D itself is still analog domain ;)

Class D in itself doesn't introduce latency but most, if not all, modern Class D designs use a DSP AFAIK.

i have no noticeable latency when i play my axefx ultra, and have tried just about every possible configuration of plugging it into things - direct, power amp, 4 cable method, etc.

The Axe produces huge amounts of latency. It's most noticable when, say, I'm playing through it and there's something else I need to go do. I notice this tends to annoy the people waiting for me. :lol: :D :lol:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I KNEW there was something wrong with my Axe !

quonsar said:
The Axe produces huge amounts of latency. It's most noticable when, say, I'm playing through it and there's something else I need to go do. I notice this tends to annoy the people waiting for me. :lol: :D :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, but it varies. When I need to take a break for dinner, I see a "latency" of about 15 minutes, but stopping to get some sleep can be upwards of 3 hours. ;)

Seriously, often it feels to me like the Axe knows what I'm gonna play next, that's how little latency there is.

Separate topic perhaps, but since I'm back to playing with a modeller, and I'm going through an Mbox (the first version), I'm subject to the MBox's latency, whatever that is. Does anybody know?

If you're software monitoring through pro-tools, there will be noticeable latency, as well as a slight degradation in sound as it passes through through the mbox's AD converters, I don't know if the mbox allows direct monitoring or not.

famished said:
Separate topic perhaps, but since I'm back to playing with a modeller, and I'm going through an Mbox (the first version), I'm subject to the MBox's latency, whatever that is. Does anybody know?

According to Digidesign the Mbox (vs1) has zero latency monitoring.

My MOTU 24i has zero latency for input moniotoring only... not processed signal (plugins & such)...

But when I actually want to use the inputs for recording, the best latency that I've been able to achieve (considering dropouts) is 2.4ms.

Back
Top Bottom