Latency through Headphones

I'll test when i get home.

Could you try to make a new preset line with just a simple: Input-->Amp-->IR-->Output?

Just to try to rule out if there is any of the fx that is doing something.

I’m plugging 1/4” into front of Axe Fx III and listening through sony studio head phones. All presets have the unmistakable feel and sound of latency. Are there any adjustments that can be made to address this? Also I bought this used previous owner could’ve made some changes. Would restoring to factory settings work? Thanks all.
Latency is pretty low on the Axe-FX, but all digital gear will have some latency. If you're saying you think it's too high, you'll have to provide details on exactly how much latency you're getting before anybody can confirm that's more than you should expect to hear.

Latency is pretty low on the Axe-FX, but all digital gear will have some latency. If you're saying you think it's too high, you'll have to provide details on exactly how much latency you're getting before anybody can confirm that's more than you should expect to hear.
Thats a reasonable thought. Truly, I’m saying this via listening and feel only. (ears and fingers.)
BTW How would you personally measure latency? I’m Googling it but maybe you have a thought and suggestion?

I think if it's noticeable, it's gotta be in the double-digits because yes, as you say, the unit itself is around 2 or 3ms with a blank preset. He may not have the ability or know-how to give us a numeric value, though.

My thought is that maybe the IR in the cab alignment may be pushed back? I don't know. I'm running out of ideas.

Thats a reasonable thought. Truly, I’m saying this via listening and feel only. (ears and fingers.)
BTW How would you personally measure latency? I’m Googling it but maybe you have a thought and suggestion?
The way I test latency (for my Virtual Capo latency tests) is to plug the guitar directly into one channel of my interface and a mic into the other. Then I record and tap the mic to the strings. I zoom in on the WAV to ensure that they begin in identical positions. That's my control. Then I plug the guitar into the Axe Fx and send that output to the same input I was plugging the guitar directly into on my Interface. Then I record another sample. Then you'll see that the signal going into the Axe Fx is delayed by a few ms compared to the mic direct in. The difference is the latency of the Axe Fx. There's always a small margin of error (1-2ms), usually because of my Mac's microscopic input latency and my ability to zoom in far enough to measure the latency, but it's pretty accurate.

You could try a low-tech solution of a microphone recording that records both the pick hitting the string and the processed audio you hear. If you can get the noise low enough, you'll be able to measure the lag between those two sounds.

Last edited:
I think if it's noticeable, it's gotta be in the double-digits because yes, as you say, the unit itself is around 2 or 3ms with a blank preset. He may not have the ability or know-how to give us a numeric value, though.

My thought is that maybe the IR in the cab alignment may be pushed back? I don't know. I'm running out of ideas.
Thank you. This helps.

The way I test latency (for my Virtual Capo latency tests) is to plug the guitar directly into one channel of my interface and a mic into the other. Then I record and tap the mic to the strings. I zoom in on the WAV to ensure that they begin in identical positions. That's my control. Then I plug the guitar into the Axe Fx and send that output to the same input I was plugging the guitar directly into on my Interface. Then I record another sample. Then you'll see that the signal going into the Axe Fx is delayed by a few ms compared to the mic direct in. The difference is the latency of the Axe Fx. There's always a small margin of error (1-2ms), usually because of my Mac's microscopic input latency and my ability to zoom in far enough to measure the latency, but it's pretty accurate.

ock solid
Awesome. Thank you.

Try checking in the cab block, align page. Bring the impulse response curve down to zero. If it’s already at zero then it’s not this.. just a thought.

Try checking in the cab block, align page. Bring the impulse response curve down to zero. If it’s already at zero then it’s not this.. just a thought.
Ok. I’ll def try your IR suggestion. Beyond the latency comment, It seems adding a compressor block is HUGE with the feel part on Axe FXiii. More than i’ve experienced on any other digital unit. Is that a common opinion?

Yes i’m using an adapter on the headphones. An 1/8” to 1/4” adapter.
Then I would also recommend checking if there is no TRRS-to-TRS plugging inconsistency. This may cause self-cancellation of L and R channels leaving only some reverb/room tails. I.e., if your headphones are with an additional mic output, but the adapter does not expect this, there could be issues.

maybe you can just super humanly detect 2ms of latency. I've never enjoyed the sensation of playing through headphones because I feel disconnected from what I'm playing, Like I'm in a room playing somewhere else. Perhaps it's that sensation that you are perceiving a latency?

maybe you can just super humanly detect 2ms of latency. I've never enjoyed the sensation of playing through headphones because I feel disconnected from what I'm playing, Like I'm in a room playing somewhere else. Perhaps it's that sensation that you are perceiving a latency?
If anything playing through headphones feels more like putting your ear where the mic would be. That's why adding some room reverb (or mixing in Fullres IRs) is going to help bring a sense of space.

I only have a FM3 but don't find there to be any difference in latency no matter what I use as an output device and the latency is already so negligible that it's a complete non-issue.

@ArmBar956, please list the exact setup you have connected to the Axe-Fx. Headphone make and model, any other devices connected and so on. If you are just plugging your guitar into Axe-Fx 3 front input with a cable (not wireless) and wired headphones into the headphones output, then making a blank preset and throwing in IN1 -> AMP1 -> CAB1 -> OUT1 chain then you should have no latency issues.

I honestly don't know what to think anymore. The amount of latency that you should (actually shouldn't) be able to perceive is the same amount of latency you get from standing 3 feet away from your speaker which is humanly undetectable.

Back
Top Bottom