Latency reporting to DAW

I have the latency problem too. The first time I thought It was just me playing sloppy, later I noticed something was going on. Too many bad takes for a regular, non very difficult riff (I am sloppy but not that sloppy!).

A few days later, I tried reamping the same track with different sounds, and that phasey sound was there when played them together!

Tried to compensate latency in DAW, but I wish there was a more precise, authomatic method.

I love Axe 3, I really want to use it as my audio interface, but I think I’ll have to lean towards the spdif option too (thanks for the trick btw!).

I did some reamping last night with Reaper. I recorded a processed track and DI at the same time and then reamped the DI back to 5 new tracks one at a time (through the same preset). The reamps were all perfectly aligned with each other and only 42 samples behind the original processed track. That's less than 1ms off. While the latency does vary, I've not seen any of the wide swings that others have reported. I'm on Windows 10 running the latest USB driver and latest version of Reaper.

This seems a BIG issue which has also been reported at least 6 months ago.

Kinda bad it hasn't been fixed yet.
Notwithstanding the issue (for some, not all) seems big, considering everything else going on behind the scenes, particularly the frequency of new free firmware upgrades, I personally don't see it as being that bad.

I did some reamping last night with Reaper. I recorded a processed track and DI at the same time and then reamped the DI back to 5 new tracks one at a time (through the same preset). The reamps were all perfectly aligned with each other and only 42 samples behind the original processed track. That's less than 1ms off. While the latency does vary, I've not seen any of the wide swings that others have reported. I'm on Windows 10 running the latest USB driver and latest version of Reaper.
Are you saying you didn't even need to set the Manual Offset in Reaper?

When this latency compensation problem was first reported, I assumed it was only a Mac problem, and only people on a Mac would need to manually compensate. But I believe I've seen reports of it on Windows as well. If it turns out to be Mac-only though, I wouldn't be surprised.

Yes, I already have a manual offset in place. It's about 500 or so samples I believe. That offset keeps it consistently within a few ms for me, so it's close enough that I don't worry about it. The reported latency is still off. I just don't see the big random changes in the latency that others have reported.

Last edited:
This is really not that hard to fix, until Fractal get's it done. Don't use plug-ins to fix it or try to use delay or other tricks.

Just expand your tracks (the ones that have drifted in time) until you can see the waveform and you can easily see where the waveform crosses the zero line both above and below. Grab the tracks that have drifted and adjust/drag until the waves match so they both cross the zero line and match exactly both above and below. This put's them exactly in phase with each other. I use either the snare or kick as my guide for. Lining up my guitar tracks. I am also anal that I complete my guitar parts in one shot and play the song all the way through without punch ins, so the feel stays with the tracks.

James

This is really not that hard to fix, until Fractal get's it done. Don't use plug-ins to fix it or try to use delay or other tricks.

Just expand your tracks (the ones that have drifted in time) until you can see the waveform and you can easily see where the waveform crosses the zero line both above and below. Grab the tracks that have drifted and adjust/drag until the waves match so they both cross the zero line and match exactly both above and below. This put's them exactly in phase with each other. I use either the snare or kick as my guide for. Lining up my guitar tracks. I am also anal that I complete my guitar parts in one shot and play the song all the way through without punch ins, so the feel stays with the tracks.

James

Simply set the offset preference in your DAW, and you won't have to do any of that. I set that once a couple years ago and haven't had to worry about this problem since.

Simply set the offset preference in your DAW, and you won't have to do any of that. I set that once a couple years ago and haven't had to worry about this problem since.

No, it doesn't work as expected. I have done it in both pro tools and Studio one with the same oddities in both when measuring with different presets.

The AX3 varies its latency so setting a static offset does not always work. Others have said they are having the same issue as well even after setting a static offset.

And if you ever re-amp the offset is higher than measured under other circumstances.

The easiest way is to just adjust the tracks and use what makes you comfortable as a guide. I like using kick and snare to put my phase and timing where they need to be.

If a static setting works for you, that is killer, however I find the latency changes depending on what blocks are active in the AX3. I am not going to measure and adjust for each preset/scenes I use to record with.

James

Sorry to hear it's not working for you. I would put it this way:

The first choice for a workaround should be to use the DAW preference because that's the easiest option, since you set it once and forget it. However, if you're one of the folks for whom the DAW preference is not an effective workaround, there are other workarounds available. For example, you could use a dedicated audio interface or you could edit audio alignment after recording.

Notwithstanding the issue (for some, not all) seems big, considering everything else going on behind the scenes, particularly the frequency of new free firmware upgrades, I personally don't see it as being that bad.
Due to the variable offsets, I feel like I'm probably the biggest complainer about the whole reamp thing being a thorn in the side. (Apologies to everyone for that.)

That being said, switching to Fractal has streamlined a ridiculous amount for me. I can practice whenever, my live rig is simplified while still doing more, I can dial in any tone I can imagine, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love all of that and all the firmware updates--but you gotta wonder...shouldn't there be a better/faster workflow than reamping?

Are you saying you didn't even need to set the Manual Offset in Reaper?

When this latency compensation problem was first reported, I assumed it was only a Mac problem, and only people on a Mac would need to manually compensate. But I believe I've seen reports of it on Windows as well. If it turns out to be Mac-only though, I wouldn't be surprised.
Just confirming that Windows has the problem

The unit is sold as one capable of direct USB recording with "better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces".
The fact that this feature is somewhat borked is a BIG issue, whatever anyone may think of it.
This is a professional grade product that can't be trusted during usb recording.

I love Fractal and been using/enjoying their products since the Ultra days but that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out the (very VERY few) faults of the unit.

This screenshot has been taken directly from the Fractal website and it is placed even before they go deep illustrating the amp modeling stuff that the Axe Fx is capable of.
This seems like a sign of this being one of the core features and one of the selling points.

Immagine.png

All of this is not meant to be aggressive and if it seems like so I assure you is due only to the linguistic barrier

Last edited:
The unit is sold as one capable of direct USB recording with "better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces".
The fact that this feature is somwhat borked is a BIG issue, whatever anyone may think of it.
This is a professional grade product that can't be trusted during usb recording.

I love Fractal and been using/enjoying their products since the Ultra days but that doesn't mean I shouldn't point out the (very VERY few) faults of the unit.

This screenshot has been taken directly from the Fractal website and is placed even before they go deep illustrating the amp modeling stuff the Axe Fx is capable of.
This seems like a sign of this being one of the core features and one of the selling points.

All of this is not meant to be aggressive and if it seems like so I assure you is due only to the linguistic barrier.
I think you did an excellent job of defining this. To me you did not come off as aggressive at all.

No, it doesn't work as expected. I have done it in both pro tools and Studio one with the same oddities in both when measuring with different presets.

The AX3 varies its latency so setting a static offset does not always work. Others have said they are having the same issue as well even after setting a static offset.

And if you ever re-amp the offset is higher than measured under other circumstances.

The easiest way is to just adjust the tracks and use what makes you comfortable as a guide. I like using kick and snare to put my phase and timing where they need to be.

If a static setting works for you, that is killer, however I find the latency changes depending on what blocks are active in the AX3. I am not going to measure and adjust for each preset/scenes I use to record with.

James
I also noticed this in the Quad Cortex.

Does SPDIF connection with another audio interface give sample-perfect reamping results? I would think the processing in the Axe FX III would lead to at least a handful of samples worth of latency that isn't accounted for using that method, too.

Does SPDIF connection with another audio interface give sample-perfect reamping results? I would think the processing in the Axe FX III would lead to at least a handful of samples worth of latency that isn't accounted for using that method, too.
Sample-perfect? No. Much better than the uncorrected Axe-FX? Yes.

Sample-perfect? No. Much better than the uncorrected Axe-FX? Yes.
Right. It seems folks are wanting a solution that gives a reamp track that aligns, to the sample, exactly with the original, and I'm just trying to imagine a scenario where that happens without some user-effort. Not certain you would get that result even if the III/3 were accurately reporting latency to the DAW?

Right. It seems folks are wanting a solution that gives a reamp track that aligns, to the sample, exactly with the original, and I'm just trying to imagine a scenario where that happens without some user-effort. Not certain you would get that result even if the III/3 were accurately reporting latency to the DAW?
Yeah, anybody who needs that kind of precision shouldn't be using outboard gear :).

Yeah small changes in latency are inevitable when you are changing the DSP load through different presets. Time based algorithms like pitch shifting will always add latency to the signal no matter what you do. Even using analog or SPDIF, you'll still encounter those changes in latency in your recorded signal relative to your actual playing.

Back
Top Bottom