Latency: Liquid-Foot vs RJM

jamongrande

Inspired
For those of you with experience with both controllers, is there a difference in latency/response time between the two brands? I'm currently using a LF+Mini, set to receive info from an Ax3. I find that after I trigger a preset, it seems like I have to wait over a half second before I can press a second button (e.g triggering a preset and then adding wah). Does the RJM respond faster as its receiving sysex from the Ax3, or is there a delay there as well? In general I'm considering moving to a bigger board from the 8 buttons, but the latency w the LF is probably a more pressing issue for me at the moment.

I'm guessing that the FC6 and 12 are faster, but I have some specific midi needs that seem outside of their intended use (e.g. multiple devices triggered while keeping the same scene active).

thanks in advance

That shouldn’t be happening.

Are you sending messages on multiple midi channels or Omni?

I have my RJM MMGT/22 hooked up right now so I can test this for you. I stepped on 4 preset buttons as quickly as I could move my foot to them and the Axe FX III switched in sync. It's as fast as using the Value Knob on the front panel.

@chris : tested the LF sending preset change message and one bypass message to an EHX vocoder. The LF is set to query effects bypass and channel states. The III and vocoder are set to different midi channels. What seems to be happening is that the LF will not respond to another button push until it has received all of the sysex data from the Axe3 (based on the LF status light). That's why I'm wondering if it is just a function of the LF's processing (vs. however the RJM functions), or if it is going to be the case regardless of the footcontroller.

Also, I am running large "kitchen sink" presets for the most part. Does the response time slow down for similarly large presets on the Fractal controllers as well?

@chris : tested the LF sending preset change message and one bypass message to an EHX vocoder. The LF is set to query effects bypass and channel states. The III and vocoder are set to different midi channels. What seems to be happening is that the LF will not respond to another button push until it has received all of the sysex data from the Axe3 (based on the LF status light). That's why I'm wondering if it is just a function of the LF's processing (vs. however the RJM functions), or if it is going to be the case regardless of the footcontroller.

Also, I am running large "kitchen sink" presets for the most part. Does the response time slow down for similarly large presets on the Fractal controllers as well?
no. response shouldn't change THAT much at all. the command is sent and received quickly.

still think something isn't setup correctly. but i have zero experience with LF devices. i haven't heard this sort of thing ever though.

tested again by turning off the IA sync for two presets. For the two presets without sync, I'm able to switch preset and trigger an IA as fasat as I can hit the buttons. The LF doesn't respond while its receiving data, which seems to take over half a second to receive all of the Axe3 data. At this point I'm turning off the effects sync for the presets and deal with matching the LF programming to the Axe3 scene programming. I think its something on the LF end; unless it shouldn't take that long for the Axe3 to send all of the sysex.

I think its something on the LF end; unless it shouldn't take that long for the Axe3 to send all of the sysex.

I’m not familiar with the LF products, but I do know the RJM changed the programming and communication methods to suite the Axe Fx III and (whatever they did) it works very well.

tested again by turning off the IA sync for two presets. For the two presets without sync, I'm able to switch preset and trigger an IA as fasat as I can hit the buttons. The LF doesn't respond while its receiving data, which seems to take over half a second to receive all of the Axe3 data. At this point I'm turning off the effects sync for the presets and deal with matching the LF programming to the Axe3 scene programming. I think its something on the LF end; unless it shouldn't take that long for the Axe3 to send all of the sysex.

Can you share your LF+ programming file? I have a LF+ PRO+ and LF+ 12+ and can look at your programming file to see if something is incorrect.

You can also check out my Tutorial on the FAS Wiki: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FAMC_Liquid_Foot+

I haven't updated my tutorial in a while, so there's not much info about the Axe-Fx III but between my tutorial and the FAMC "v6.02 Release notes and tutorial(s)" link on their download page https://www.famcmusic.com/download/ you should be able to get it working faster.

Back
Top Bottom