Latency issues

Hello, my name is Gary and I am new to fractal. I just got to use my brand new AX8 tonight at rehearsal.
I have set my switches up as presets. I have a lot of questions but one of the first, and most important questions I have is how do I get rid of the latency that takes place for instance when I switch from my rhythm patch to my solo patch or from my rhythm patch to my Clean patch. This seems to be almost a 1 second lag that takes place before the preset engage.
Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

If you haven't looked at scenes yet, check those out as an alternative to switching presets. You can typically remove the audio gap completely if you aren't switching amps.

An important strategy can be to carefully choose a flexible amp model, with scenes and scene controllers to affect multiple parameters, to get pretty different sound without having to do X/Y switching on scenes.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have created scenes, which has reduced the lag, but not eliminated it. I have now read multiple threads about this and I do see it is an issue amongst many players. I am on the fence whether I should try this live or not. After using modelers that didn't have the lag, its hard to adjust to the minimal lag it has now, especially when going from a scene to a clean scene. The only thing I have not done yet is adjust the downstroke of the switch, which I will probably do this evening. Any other help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. The unit sounds incredible and I would love to be able to burn down cities and melt faces with the Fractal AX8! \m/ \m/

The downstroke is the final piece. Since switching to that mode, most scene changes feel immediate

I have been gigging with mine for more than a year, and every second has been great.

Last edited:
UP- VS. DOWN-STROKE FX SWITCHING
By default, the AX8 uses both “tap” and “press-and-hold” actions on its footswitches. This gives the F-Switches double functions, and it allows Footswitches 1-8 to be used for both bypass/engage and X/Y switching.
Because of this, the AX8 must execute all tap functions on the up-stroke of the footswitch, rather than the down-stroke. When your foot goes down, the AX8 begins waiting. If the switch does NOT come up after a critical time window has passed, the Press-and-Hold function is executed. If the switch DOES come up, the tap function is executed.
If you would rather have your effect footswitches engage on the down-stroke, you can turn off press-and-hold X/Y switching in two ways:
OPTION ONE: DISABLE PRESS-AND-HOLD IN THE GLOBAL MENU
This convenient global option turns off Press-and-Hold for X/Y Switching so effects fire on the down-stroke.
Press SETUP (Shift + Store)
Press footswitch 1 for the GLOBAL menu
Make sure you are on the SETTINGS page.
NAV to PRESS/HOLD X/Y
Use the A knob to turn it ON or OFF.
Press EXIT twice to finish.
OPTION TWO: ASSIGN ANY X/Y MODE TO ANY F-SWITCH
When you assign either Single X/Y or Sticky X/Y to one of the F-Switches, the AX8 assumes that you don’t want Press-and-Hold X/Y action. Changing F-Switch functions is easy. Here’s a review:
Press PAGE to turn to the F-SWITCH page.
Select one of the available F-Switches using the E/NAV knob.
Assign an X/Y function using the A knob.
Press EXIT two times when you’re done.

UP- VS. DOWN-STROKE FX SWITCHING
By default, the AX8 uses both “tap” and “press-and-hold” actions on its footswitches. This gives the F-Switches double functions, and it allows Footswitches 1-8 to be used for both bypass/engage and X/Y switching.
Because of this, the AX8 must execute all tap functions on the up-stroke of the footswitch, rather than the down-stroke. When your foot goes down, the AX8 begins waiting. If the switch does NOT come up after a critical time window has passed, the Press-and-Hold function is executed. If the switch DOES come up, the tap function is executed.
If you would rather have your effect footswitches engage on the down-stroke, you can turn off press-and-hold X/Y switching in two ways:
OPTION ONE: DISABLE PRESS-AND-HOLD IN THE GLOBAL MENU
This convenient global option turns off Press-and-Hold for X/Y Switching so effects fire on the down-stroke.
Make sure you are on the SETTINGS page.
NAV to PRESS/HOLD X/Y
Use the A knob to turn it ON or OFF.
Press EXIT twice to finish.
OPTION TWO: ASSIGN ANY X/Y MODE TO ANY F-SWITCH
When you assign either Single X/Y or Sticky X/Y to one of the F-Switches, the AX8 assumes that you don’t want Press-and-Hold X/Y action. Changing F-Switch functions is easy. Here’s a review:
Press PAGE to turn to the F-SWITCH page.
Select one of the available F-Switches using the E/NAV knob.
Assign an X/Y function using the A knob.
Press EXIT two times when you’re done.
Thanks so much! :)

Instead of switching from a dirty amp to a clean amp attach a scene modifier to the input gain of your amp block and lower the gain to make your dirty amp clean. No gap when switching scenes. You can also add on a GEQ to help EQ the clean the way you want it.

Set your AX8 to react to the downstroke of the switch. Default is that it switches on the upstroke, and that feels longer. I believe the dropout in relation to a preset change is around 0.5 seconds.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so very much!!! Found the setting that you had talked about and the lag / latency is gone. It has seemless switching now. I was at my wits end with this unit and you really stopped me from selling it or sending it back.
Thank you again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom