Latency? Issue in Logic, Axe used as interface

Thanks for all the great info. I did the test. And got +946 samples with buffer size 32. So I would have to adjust Recording Delay to -946 samples, right?

Latenztest.png

So what are 946 Samples in miliseconds at 48khz? Is the following calculation correct:
1000*946:48.000 = 19,70 ms
This seems to be lot of time...

This is comment I have found in the Logic User Group about the Recording Delay:
I don't know if it's true that some drivers report latency to Logic so that in those cases there would be no need to touch the Recording Delay Box?!
When they say that normally that setting shouldn't be touched, well, it's not 100% true. There are lots of audio systems, and some of them require installing a driver software. And all drivers -- as well as audio interfaces -- introduce some amount of delay (latench) to whatever recordings you make. Ideally, the driver should report this delay to Logic, and in response Logic will compensate for it. In my experience, when a driver reports the latency, Logic shows a recording delay of zero. It doesn't matter how much latency there actually is, or how much Logic is compensating for it; the value will show zero.

After looking in the Axe Wiki I have found out that it seems that the AxeFX Driver does not report anything. So you have to do this manually and I was reminded of the fact that the AxeFx3 has also an USB Buffer with the standard conservative value of 256 samples. I never touched this USB Buffer, but now this leads to the question if it would make sense to experiment not only with the Recording Delay Value, but also with the USB Buffer in the Axe. (I hope not ;-) )

This is comment I have found in the Logic User Group about the Recording Delay:
I don't know if it's true that some drivers report latency to Logic so that in those cases there would be no need to touch the Recording Delay Box?!
Yes, that's true. It is rare that an interface will require you to touch that preference. Unfortunately, if you use an AxeFX III, you will need to adjust it. The problem may be related to the fact that there is no driver for the AxeFX III on MacOS.

But that's not what this quote is saying:

When they say that normally that setting shouldn't be touched, well, it's not 100% true. There are lots of audio systems, and some of them require installing a driver software. And all drivers -- as well as audio interfaces -- introduce some amount of delay (latench) to whatever recordings you make. Ideally, the driver should report this delay to Logic, and in response Logic will compensate for it. In my experience, when a driver reports the latency, Logic shows a recording delay of zero. It doesn't matter how much latency there actually is, or how much Logic is compensating for it; the value will show zero.
I do not believe that is correct. You should expect the preference to be set to zero, even when the latency is properly reported to Logic. The preference is a value you can apply in addition to the reported latency. It will not show you the reported latency.

Yes, that's true. It is rare that an interface will require you to touch that preference. Unfortunately, if you use an AxeFX III, you will need to adjust it. The problem may be related to the fact that there is no driver for the AxeFX III on MacOS.

But that's not what this quote is saying:

I do not believe that is correct. You should expect the preference to be set to zero, even when the latency is properly reported to Logic. The preference is a value you can apply in addition to the reported latency. It will not show you the reported latency.
I also do not believe that this is correct. Because this suggests as if the value would change dynamically, but it's a fact that you always have to put in the value manually for Recording Delay. Thank you because I am really learning new things today. I have ordered the Focusrite Clarett 8 USB Pre. Do you think that this is one of those "magical" interfaces with no need to touch the Recording Delay because the Focusrite Driver reports the Delay/Latency and Logic automatically adjusts?

Back
Top Bottom