Latency? Issue in Logic, Axe used as interface

Blix

Inspired
I have this weird problem when recording, I use my III as an interface, record with Logic Pro X, and everything sounds and feels great when recording, but the playback in Logic in fucked up, my track is noticeably later compared to the backing track I'm recording to.
Not using input monitoring obviously. Buffer size at 64.
Any idea?

I’ve always had this problem with Fractal devices. This shouldn't happen and I have no idea where the fault lies, but most DAWs have a correction value you can enter manually to fix this problem when it occurs. You measure the amount the audio is off, then set the correction value once and then it should work fine, as long as you don’t change your audio buffer size. In Logic the preference is called "recording delay".

I’ve always had this problem with Fractal devices. This shouldn't happen and I have no idea where the fault lies, but most DAWs have a correction value you can enter manually to fix this problem when it occurs. You measure the amount the audio is off, then set the correction value once and then it should work fine, as long as you don’t change your audio buffer size. In Logic the preference is called "recording delay".
Ahhhh, thank you so much! You really made my day, this was driving me absolutely insane. Had to compensate quite a bit but now it's lining up and sounding like when I played it.

Hmmm. I haven't have problems with time alignment in Logic. I typically use a 256 sample buffer, though (older Mac). Since I'm direct monitoring (software monitoring OFF), there's never audible latency when tracking, and stuff plays back fine. If I zoom in on tracks: time alignments are accurate. Perhaps if the buffer isn't large enough, Logic can't sufficiently time align the recording, and it gets put down with the offset. Just speculation, don't have time to dig deeper, but thought I'd mention it. There is also a low latency mode and Tracks/Playback settings in MacOS Audio setup that can impact performance.

Hmmm. I haven't have problems with time alignment in Logic. I typically use a 256 sample buffer, though (older Mac). Since I'm direct monitoring (software monitoring OFF), there's never audible latency when tracking, and stuff plays back fine. If I zoom in on tracks: time alignments are accurate. Perhaps if the buffer isn't large enough, Logic can't sufficiently time align the recording, and it gets put down with the offset. Just speculation, don't have time to dig deeper, but thought I'd mention it. There is also a low latency mode and Tracks/Playback settings in MacOS Audio setup that can impact performance.
No software monitoring and this happens at all buffer sizes. Low latency mode on or off made no difference.
But it's not an issue anymore, setting the "recording delay" fixed it for me. :)

You can measure the recording delay precisely by putting Logic's I/O plugin on your track. In the plugin, set the output to USB 7/8 and the input to USB 1/2. You'll need to add the USB in block to your preset as well (I just have it in parallel with my In 1 block on all my presets which lets me reamp easily without changing any settings). Then click ping, and put the opposite of the returned value into the recording delay box. Don't forget to delete the I/O plugin once you've measured it.

You can measure the recording delay precisely by putting Logic's I/O plugin on your track. In the plugin, set the output to USB 7/8 and the input to USB 1/2. You'll need to add the USB in block to your preset as well (I just have it in parallel with my In 1 block on all my presets which lets me reamp easily without changing any settings). Then click ping, and put the opposite of the returned value into the recording delay box. Don't forget to delete the I/O plugin once you've measured it.
Awesome thanks. Did this and measured1108 samples. Now everything lines up perfectly. 👍

I also use Logic and the AxeFX3 as my recording audio interface. I am just a little bit confused, because on the one hand for a lot of people it seems to solve their latency problems when they use the recording delay box in Logic. On the other hand there are a lot of people who never touch this box because they think it's enough to activate for example low latency mode or they think there are better ways to avoid latency. I am not using software monitoring. So I have no problems with latency while I am recording with Logic, but I sometimes I think after a recording is it me who was not playing in the pocket or is it latency? I am also not sure if manufacturer like Motu, Focusrite etc. officially recommend to use the recording delay box in Logic which leads to the question if Fractal Audio (officially) recommends using the recording delay box.

I also use Logic and the AxeFX3 as my recording audio interface. I am just a little bit confused, because on the one hand for a lot of people it seems to solve their latency problems when they use the recording delay box in Logic. On the other hand there are a lot of people who never touch this box because they think it's enough to activate for example low latency mode or they think there are better ways to avoid latency. I am not using software monitoring. So I have no problems with latency while I am recording with Logic, but I sometimes I think after a recording is it me who was not playing in the pocket or is it latency? I am also not sure if manufacturer like Motu, Focusrite etc. officially recommend to use the recording delay box in Logic which leads to the question if Fractal Audio (officially) recommends using the recording delay box.

Whether it's official or not, you'll have to set the recording delay preference in Logic if you want your tracks to align properly. As workarounds go, it's quite effective.

I just adjust the delay on a track to some negative value.
Thank you for your quick response. I assumed that normally you are going to use negative values for the recording delay. It's just that a person like me who has not such a profound knowledge of those things get's confused when some people swear that they have never touched the recording delay box in 30 years and on the other hand for many people it seems to be the ultimate solution for their latency problems.

I'm unable to get this to work. Here's a screenshot of my settings and preset. I hit the ping button and the latency offset stays at 0 sam.

Any ideas? thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.41.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-05 at 11.41.38 AM.png

Ok, I had to come back and update in case this happens to anyone else. The I/O plugin was not working for me because I had "Low Latency" mode turned on in Logic. "Low Latency" mode disables the I/O plugin. (well the default threshold is 5ms and the I/O plugin has 26ms latency, so at default settings it gets disabled.)

Another one of life's mysteries solved. :p

Back
Top Bottom