Latency consistent?

gdgross

Experienced
Is there a difference in latency depending on the processing, and specifically, depending on the blocks and path utilized? I recently recorded a bunch of bass tracks with the SVT sim on the left and the DI on the right. I assume that both L and R were hitting my audio interface at the exact same instant, but it's difficult to tell based on the waveforms alone.

Flipping the phase of one of them results in some notes having more low end and some notes having less, which is very confusing, and leads me to think that there's either an inconsistent latency, or possibly the phase difference is different for different notes (fundamental frequencies) due to a static latency.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

What you are hearing is entirely consistent with two tracks being out of phase - some frequencies will reinforce and some will diminish. The delay between the tracks will be 1 to 2 ms which I believe is the range on AFX. As far as I am aware the delay is consistent in the AFX for any given preset. Switching blocks in and out shouldn't have any effect (unless it's a delay block of course)

Even if you get the DI from the Axe-Fx grid, you will still have differencies: non linearity of the (modeled) tubes, phase shifts of the EQ and so on.

Even if you get the DI from the Axe-Fx grid, you will still have differencies: non linearity of the (modeled) tubes, phase shifts of the EQ and so on.

Thanks, that's kind what I was figuring. - I've always just recorded bass DI'd through a preamp before; this is the first time for me using a sim and DI from the AXE-FX, so I've never had the issue of potentially needing to align two bass tracks yet.

Sure is (although minor). An example is the comment Cliff (I think) made on Drive pedals - something like "two signal paths, one with Drive, will be out of sync slightly - try adding a bypassed Drive block to the other chain."

So maybe try that and bypass everything on your DI line?

Thanks guys - I'm not so much concerned with getting it straight in the patch, as the tracks are already recorded. I can always just push the "amp" forward or the DI backwards in my DAW by whatever I need.

The only reason I brought it up is because it's slightly hard to see exactly how far back the amp'd signal actually is, since it adds so much and smears the transients. I suppose if I really need to know I can record a clap though the same patch just to get a clear picture of what the delay actually is.

Or I can always just move the amp'd sound till it mostly lines up with the DI'd and call it good.

Drive blocks definitely cause latency which screws with the phase if you're using them in parallel. I use a compressor block on the other path to compensate, set mix to 0% and lookahead to 0.69ms. This seemed to work for me unless the latency has changed since the drives got G3d.

Back
Top Bottom