Latching/Momentary switching

Sixstring

Legend!
For some reason I'm having an issue with the Latching function in one of my presets (External 4). It was not there the other day and I have not done any programming or made any changes to presets.

I have gone into the menu on the AX8 and changed them up to see if it would fix the problem but no joy!, One is momentary for the verb hold (External 3) and the other is a simple boost function attached to the boost switch in the amp block (External 4). Not sure if it's an AX8 problem or a program issue.

Can someone that has footswitches set up for 3-4 please take a look at it and see if you are having the same issue?

Attachments

• Top Boost Brit Brown.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 4
To clarify, you're saying the footswitch attached to Pedal port 4 isn't latching, but it used to?

I don't recall the latching/momentary setting for external footswitches being a configurable per-preset - is this problem only happening in this preset or is this the only preset you use External 4?

On all of them at this point and yes it used to latch just like a regular stompbox footswitch now I have to hold it down in order for it to work, no bueno :( .

Okay so your preset works fine for me - both External 3 (attached to Reverb Hold) and External 4 (attached to Amp Boost) will latch when I set the correct settings in SETUP > I/O > PEDAL.

Here's the confusing part (paging @joe rogers so he can explain why it works like this):

If you have a momentary footswitch:
  • set it to the "Momentary" type for it to act as a latching switch
  • set it to "Latching" for it to act as a momentary switch. Basically the opposite of what you'd think.
If you have a latching footswitch:
  • set it to the "Latching" type for it to act as a latching switch
  • don't set it to the "Momentary" type, because it will require a double press for each change
To sum up, what you're setting on this setup page is the type of pedal you're using, and the default behavior for both types is a latching behavior. You can use a momentary switch as a momentary switch, you just don't set it to "Momentary" to do that.

With all that said, perhaps your global settings got wiped accidentally, in which case all pedals would be set as "Continuous" which is another way for a momentary switch to act like a momentary switch.

Ok I will check out the setting in the Setup to make sure that it is set to the right settings, @ Stratman68 thanks for checking something is obviously no setup the way it should be.

EDIT:
Ok, that was the problem! Now that I think about it I had a glitch the other day that required me to power cycle it must have happened then.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom