Larry Mitchell playing live, wow!

Has anyone copied Larry's wah settings? I would love to see how he gets that liquid sound?

I looked at his Wah settings. Was happy to see that the settings are quite similar to the ones I settled upon.
The key to getting the wah get through the mix when using a lot of gain, IMHO, is limiting the low and high frequencies. Min at 400 and Max at around 1940 work very well.
The wah gets a bit more solid when increasing Drive, to say between 4 and 6. I like Track (= "Q") at around 6.

Hey Yek, Thank you for posting this. It just came out and I hadn't seen it myself yet. It's getting good reviews so i m glad you put it up here. And I think my wah settings are combo of yours and Scotts as well as words of wisdom from THE wizard Steve Blutcher so thank you. I am still trying to get the Wah on the Clean funk patches to sit better for me. But that is how it has always been for me. I have some Vox Wahs that sound great on lead but i have a Fulltone Clyde that sounds better (for Me) on Clean funk stuff. I am loving my wah setting (pretty simple) on Leads and like on the cleans but I am still trying to nail that down. I am starting a new record of mine in the next few days so I will have to dial that in. :)

Tones: Yeah for my instrumental Rock/ Funk stuff I need lots of gain, always have I am sure I always will. :) I do lots of sideman gigs where there is very little gain. (Tracy Chapman i had squeak by with just a pinch of dirt) Billy Squire was a different kind of Gain. More crunchy it also took a different approach to soloing for me. Some of the Native American artist that I play with currently require totally different sounds, Amp Sim choices, approaches and thought process so I can see how it could not be some ones cup of tea. :) It's all good and one thing I have learned from Producing so many different types of records is that there is a spot and use for just about every guitar sound, Big and fat, small and Shrill. wide and luscious and down right Nasty buzz saw through a megaphone in a cave through a tin can with a string sound. :) Thanks again Yek. Scott and all of you for watching !!

I believe it is an Ibanez Prestige SV

Hey Stratamania,

I played the SV Prestiges for about 3 years. I've always used my Custom Shop Blazers for Recordings last year I went back to using them live. Very different neck size. so it is hard for me to go back and forth between those guitars. Ibanez Reissued the Blazer series in 1996. I have a stock one that is Awesome and I have two that Tack built for me at the Custom shop. The Quilted maple top Ash body that I play in the video and pretty is my main guitar I play all the time now and a Flame Maple top Alder Body one that I play a lot more in the studio..

Themaidenmaniac: I am far from being in that Ibanez Shred machine category. (Trust me- I have played on stage with Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Ritchie Kotzen and a whole lot of guys that are true shredders ( I have been with Ibanez for almost 27 years ) I am no shredder. :)

I played the SV Prestiges for about 3 years.
<snip>
I am far from being in that Ibanez Shred machine category. (Trust me- I have played on stage with Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Ritchie Kotzen and a whole lot of guys that are true shredders ( I have been with Ibanez for almost 27 years ) I am no shredder. :)
It's the notes you play, not the speed you play them at that I like.

That was such a nice comment I think you should send me one of those redundant SV Prestiges. I'll PM you my address .... ;)

I am still trying to get the Wah on the Clean funk patches to sit better for me
I had that issue with wha on clean presets and I ended using a filter block, instead of the wha, for that. I don't remember the settings but I'm using it on preset #11 (with display offset = 1) in my bank A ( available in the latest post of my blog here : Fremen's guitar blog ) ; it's more subtle than a normal wha but works very well for me, as it doesn't suck the lows out of the sound, and it can be customized to taste

Absolutely excellent. You may not be a "shredder", but then, I'd bet some of those guys would love to steal your chops! A friend told me he saw you at "The Tap" in Columbus Ga with about 20 people in the place. I live just down the road from you and would have killed to have been there but didn't here anything until it was too late; maybe next time. You rock Larry! All the best to you.

Hey Fremen, Thanks for that tip. I will try it but I think I found it by turning down the drive in the wah all the way on my clean patches. Thanks Joel. I still hope to come to Australia one of these days. I have been so close so many times. I even spent a month in New Zealand it didn't work out to got there and play!! :)

Maxdown, I'll let you know if I decide to get rid of any guitars. :) (The Stock ones though. The Custom shop ones I can never let go) :)

Guitar Mike. Was that at the Loft? or Soho? I live in Opelika AL. If your close to there then come on by the studio for a guitar hang. I am home for the next three weeks just writing and recording with a touch of studio remodeling thrown in for fun. Let me know I think we play in Columbus again in January Maybe.

Larry

Thanks for the link.
Larry is one cool cat and that's one great set of musicians he's in.
Perfect to kick back on a Saturday and zone out too.
If I was being horribly picky I'd say crank that bass guitar up a little ( I know I know... it's a very small potato ! ).
Great stuff nonetheless and thanks again !

Themaidenmaniac: I am far from being in that Ibanez Shred machine category. (Trust me- I have played on stage with Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Ritchie Kotzen and a whole lot of guys that are true shredders ( I have been with Ibanez for almost 27 years ) I am no shredder. :)
Larry, you've got what a lot of shredders don't have(not those player you mentioned), melody mixed with feel! Had a chance to meet you at a clinic in Dublin,Ca. and was blown away and inspired by your playing! Hope you can make it down here in the S.F. Bay again!

Here's Larry's Ultra patches.

Attachments

• Larry Mitchell Main Chrunch Marsha BE.syx
    2 KB · Views: 10
  • Larry Mitchell Main Clean Shiva .syx
    2 KB · Views: 12
  • Larry Mitchell Main Lead Patch Marsha HBE DLY 2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 16
Really enjoyed that.. watched it twice now in the last few days. Larry is a tremendous player no doubt- great feel and phrasing and a great sense of melody.

Great stuff!!!! I really enjoy watching and hearing you play Larry but I think what I like most of all.....You always have a smile on your face!!!!!! Its infectious!

Thank you why360, Hotplate, Khawk, Diego. Axisman5150, Thank you for posting my old Ultra patches. SOmeone just emailed me asking about those. Cover'd I had absolutely nothing tho do with the Mix on either TV shows. :) I would have liked too But nope. :) Thank you DavidN1978.

Back
Top Bottom