Larry Mitchell Livestream

Set this up and tried it with my EJ strat, but I'm not sure I had some of the details right, and I didn't want to spend another 2 hours awtching the live stream again, even though I really enjoyed it.

With no drives at all, just the amp, it was great with the EJ, nicely balanced, clear but not totally clean, ballsy but not gainy, right in one of my wheelhouses. I don't think Larry uses the rig that way though, does he? He's always got that FAS Boost on, if I understood right.

I was less happy when I started down the drives path. With just the FAS Boost, it was too dark for me, and pretty gainy. I brightened up the drive some and liked it better, but it didn't have the mojo I heard in the vid, maybe because I'm not Larry ;)

When the octave distortion or face fuzz are on, are they before the FAS Boost, after, or does the FAS get turned off? I was happiest with the FAS off, but I don't think that's how he does it.

Any thoughts are welcome, including yours Larry of course. Great tones in the live stream, and great playing.

Set this up and tried it with my EJ strat, but I'm not sure I had some of the details right, and I didn't want to spend another 2 hours awtching the live stream again, even though I really enjoyed it.

With no drives at all, just the amp, it was great with the EJ, nicely balanced, clear but not totally clean, ballsy but not gainy, right in one of my wheelhouses. I don't think Larry uses the rig that way though, does he? He's always got that FAS Boost on, if I understood right.

I was less happy when I started down the drives path. With just the FAS Boost, it was too dark for me, and pretty gainy. I brightened up the drive some and liked it better, but it didn't have the mojo I heard in the vid, maybe because I'm not Larry ;)

When the octave distortion or face fuzz are on, are they before the FAS Boost, after, or does the FAS get turned off? I was happiest with the FAS off, but I don't think that's how he does it.

Any thoughts are welcome, including yours Larry of course. Great tones in the live stream, and great playing.

Hi Dave, You had it right the Plexi by it self is what I use the most. it is dark I like Dark tones :) I only put the FAS Boost on when I need the most gain. I only use one drive Block so if the Octave Distortion is on then the FAS boost can not be. Usually the FAS boosts one with the 7-5-7 setting for my full on lead scene if its one before than then the setting is 2-5-6

I really don't play with that much gain and my natural thing is very dark The Cab is dark the Amp is Dark. Not quite as dark as EJ. go see him live check out the first time he plays a lead and switches to the lead Marshall or dumble. it's way dark. :)

By the way my patches that I use for my music NEVER work for other people just like I can NEVER us other peoples. I don't normally leave the Factory presets in either :) Even though I Made one or two of them over the years. I can use the effects setup but the actual tone. the amp and cab never work for me.

People ask me for the a preset or two every week after my Facebook live and I used to send them out but that never works, it just leads to many many more questions of why it doesn't sound right. To me sounds always come down to the player, the guitar and the songs. My presets are built around my instrumental guitar paying side. the concept of the tone is 34 years in the making and although I have gone through changes is in gear the concept has remained.
When I play sideman gigs that is a totally different thing. on the Billy Squire tour I had a Bradshaw rig with 5 Preamps in it. one was just incase I needed to play any of my gigs. but I never could use those tones on Billys shows especially with blending with Billy's tone which was awesome

My suggestion is for you to take the parts of the tone you like and forget about the parts that don't work for you. make it your own. I have never actually actively tried to reproduce ANYONE else's tones. only select things about the tones. Mostly if taken ideas for the effects. I have always strived to be me and create a sound and style that is me. for better or worse. :)

Hi Dave, You had it right the Plexi by it self is what I use the most. it is dark I like Dark tones :) I only put the FAS Boost on when I need the most gain. I only use one drive Block so if the Octave Distortion is on then the FAS boost can not be. Usually the FAS boosts one with the 7-5-7 setting for my full on lead scene if its one before than then the setting is 2-5-6

I really don't play with that much gain and my natural thing is very dark The Cab is dark the Amp is Dark. Not quite as dark as EJ. go see him live check out the first time he plays a lead and switches to the lead Marshall or dumble. it's way dark. :)

By the way my patches that I use for my music NEVER work for other people just like I can NEVER us other peoples. I don't normally leave the Factory presets in either :) Even though I Made one or two of them over the years. I can use the effects setup but the actual tone. the amp and cab never work for me.

People ask me for the a preset or two every week after my Facebook live and I used to send them out but that never works, it just leads to many many more questions of why it doesn't sound right. To me sounds always come down to the player, the guitar and the songs. My presets are built around my instrumental guitar paying side. the concept of the tone is 34 years in the making and although I have gone through changes is in gear the concept has remained.
When I play sideman gigs that is a totally different thing. on the Billy Squire tour I had a Bradshaw rig with 5 Preamps in it. one was just incase I needed to play any of my gigs. but I never could use those tones on Billys shows especially with blending with Billy's tone which was awesome

My suggestion is for you to take the parts of the tone you like and forget about the parts that don't work for you. make it your own. I have never actually actively tried to reproduce ANYONE else's tones. only select things about the tones. Mostly if taken ideas for the effects. I have always strived to be me and create a sound and style that is me. for better or worse. :)
Appreciate the detailed response Larry. Great advice, makes so much sense. Find your own sound. Do you have any particular favorite for FRFR speakers? Those Knagg guitars are so freaking beautiful been thinking about getting one down the road sometime. I'm in Philly, so I will find a dealer to play some, sounds like a great excuse for a field trip. My baby won't mind. Sometimes I think she is more excited then me when I get a new guitar, lol. She bought me my last 2 guitars in the last couple of months. Waiting on the new PIA VAI Envy green axe to come in. Just want to say again how much your music is so inspirational, straight to the soul. I swear for the last 6 months all we have been listening to is you and Nick Johnston. I had never heard your music till seeing you on Fractal back in 2016. Just totally blown away. Anyway enough of my talking. Jam on and stay safe my brother! We hope to see you play somewhere anywhere sometime in the near future.
Rich and Dawn

Thanks for you comments Larry, I appreciate you taking the time.

And yeah, I'm really not trying to sound like you, or anyone, that never works anyway, I sound like me, for better and worse, no matter what I do -- been playing too long to avoid that :) I'm just trying to learn from what works for you, since I like your tones a lot.

I'm also trying to learn from how it's different for you. I might not have been clear, but that patch is NOT dark for me with all drives off. It's nicely jangly, a really good not-too-clean strat tone. I'm really happy with that for what it is, but in general it's not what I'd do for leads, and doesn't remind me of your tones at all.

I'm thinking the stock EJ pickups are really different from what's in your Severn. Don't know what else it could be; it's not a complex patch, at least hte basic version I transcribe above. I am on an Axe III, but that shouldn't matter as I understand it.

Hey Larry, just wondering: how did you stream 2 two feeds: one of you and one of the FM3?

Back
Top Bottom