Larry Carlton Farewell Tour : Pat Metheny SideEye..my return to Live Shows!

bradlake

Axe-Master
Very excited to be dipping my toe back into the live music waters after a long Covid drought….
Anyone else here seeing or have seen either of these currently touring acts?
Seeing Larry tonight in a fairly intimate outdoor bandshell (Where Snarky Puppy hosts their yearly Groundup Fest) on north Miami Beach, doing his farewell tour
featuring Steely dan tunes he played on……
Pat in an opera house in downtown Miami on Friday! (He’s prolly still toting his Kemper, unless @Admin M@ finally got to him……)

Saw Mr. Carlton front row center a couple of months ago here in Austin. He had not yet declared this his farewell tour. He played two shows that night at the venue and I was at the second one. Heavy on Crusaders tunes but did play Charlemagne, Black Cow, and Black Friday. A little strange watching him play his Sire 335 instead of the Gibson, but still sounded like LC. IMG_1074.jpg

I will definitely catch him if he comes to my neck of the woods. (Tampa Bay area)

Oh snap, I guess I could road trip down to Miami tonight...

I just love Larry Carlton. I listen to his solo albums while I work sometimes.
Yeah, the only thing that disappointed me about this last show was that he had been advertising the show as heavy on Steely Dan, Crusaders tunes, and songs from that first solo record but he played nothing from the latter. That album is a monster. Until he opens his mouth to sing, of course. 😜

Of all Larry's solos, including the much admired Kid Charlemagne, there is one solo of his that surpasses them all, IMHO. To me, it is the perfect example of how to BUILD a solo from the ground up, take it to a peak, then bring everyone down with you gently after the summit.

It's his solo from "Springville"... turn the sound WAY up for this, hit the play button, and enjoy :)

Very excited to be dipping my toe back into the live music waters after a long Covid drought….
Anyone else here seeing or have seen either of these currently touring acts?
Seeing Larry tonight in a fairly intimate outdoor bandshell (Where Snarky Puppy hosts their yearly Groundup Fest) on north Miami Beach, doing his farewell tour
featuring Steely dan tunes he played on……
Pat in an opera house in downtown Miami on Friday! (He’s prolly still toting his Kemper, unless @Admin M@ finally got to him……)
I have not seen SideEye, yet (being in Australia, I probably won't for a while), but one of my best friends is teching for James Francies, and I'm hearing all the backstage stories!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b2k2dEWlfgiGGG0WPRA4z0DA
here is an Icloud link to the last few moments of this wonderful show I saw last night…….(the only short vid I caught..)
Larry had some of the best (nonfractal) tone I’ve heard live…so round and harmonically rich (partially due to his Bludodrive amp…..verrrryDumbly.)
He played a bunch of his chart hits that I had not associated with him before (e.g. What a Fool Believes with McDonald on piano on the original, Grammy winning track ) enough Dan tunes to keep us happy, and great Crusader tunes and banter onstage…..when the weather cooperates /one of the sweetest venues around..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom