Largest Fractal rig, button wise, with explanation?

Amazing rig.. all the fractal stuffs. BTW, how do you enjoy 3D space sound from XL?
I'm using V.3.. rather sounds not so big enough to cover a small venue with a woofer.
Love it. The 12" is solid down to 55Hz, which is further down than it needs to go for most guitar stuff. The chorus/flange/phaser/rotary sound huge. Delays trade a bit of their left/right sense for some front/back sense, which works great for 'circular' delays but not as well for ping-pong delays....

Trying to pare it down to eliminate the FC6 board, but it is still needed for when I want to change channels in blocks in the FX3, since you can't change channels via MIDI CC....

Huh? We can change block channels with MIDI. I use the RJM LT to do this ... if other controllers cannot perhaps Ron has worked this through a backend process

Is it using switches and MIDI continuous controller messages, or SYSEX commands?
You can easily change channels via midi CC.

It's similar to the method of changing scenes. Uses a single CC with modulo 4 data values to select the channel (where scenes use modulo 8).

Is there a prize for most buttons / nerdiest setup? !! :tonguewink:

1656774993838.jpeg
1656775093819.jpeg
1656775116459.jpeg

MFC - Scene + fx switching on Axe3 spdif'd to Axe2 (Axe2 does Reverb, Synth, Post Tremolo, Post Enhancer, looper - Axe3 everything else). - Extra Cool Stuff it does:
  • 4 Delay Switches grouped - the 4th switch brings in the active Source Audio Nemesis delay pedal preset (changes with Axe Preset).
  • 2 Pre-Pitch block switches: both off (default) = whammy on expression pedal, both on = dive, 1st on only = drop 1/2, 2nd on only = Octave.
  • Feedback Expression pedal brings in controlled feedback from Digitech Freqout pedal.
  • Gain Expression pedal is for the Rhythm scene to go from edge+ to mean with associated tone adjustment.

POD - Controls Axefx one at a time pre and post fx- Extra Cool Stuff it does:
  • 7 of 8 switches are grouped (one on at a time, turning one on, flips any other that's on, to off - configurable to 0, 1, or 2 groups of any combination of switches).
  • Switch 7 controls whether the fx controlled are "pre" or "post" fx. So with switch 7 (ALT) off, I get the green fx (pre) in a set of 7 grouped switches. With switch 7 on, I get the red fx (post) in a set of 7 grouped switches.
  • Switch 8 in the switch group brings in either a L6 M5 effect (pre mode), or an Eventide H9 effect (post mode). I call these "specials"!.
  • On a separate Pod bank I get some preset level overrides for the following (these can also be setup to default in any config per Axefx preset).:
- Sw1=Swap out the TC Mimic pedal effect in pre position to Axefx Enhancer effect in post position, for the Enhancer switch on MFC.​
- Sw2=Swap out the Digitech Freqout effect for Digitech Mosaic 12 String Effect for the Feedback Expression pedal on MFC.​
- Sw3,4=Force Loops 3 and 4 to On for this preset.​
- Sw5=Swap out Axefx Drives for Externally connected OD/DS, for the OD/DS switches on MFC.​
- Sw6=Swap out all Axefx prefx controlled by the pod to same L6 M5 prefx, for the pre fx switches on the Pod.​
- Sw7=Swap out all Axefx postfx controlled by the pod to the same H9 postfx, for the post fx switches on the Pod​
- Sw8=Swap out all Axefx delays to same Nemesis delays, for the delay switches on the MFC.​
  • Pod connected expression pedals contol Axefx modifiers.
  • Pod looper controls control Axefx looper.
  • Black labels are for using the Pod as a Pod which I never do.

VooDoo Labs Switcher - Extra Cool Stuff it does:
  • Automatically switches in a Strymon Iridium preset # for amp/cab on related patches (Strymon running full stereo w separate amp model L and R).
  • With the Voodoo Labs Amp Channel Switcher (top left), automatically switches in tube Amp Head(s) (see below) channels for related MFC scene switches in patches that control real amps.
  • Automatically switches in external OD/DS pedals and L6 M5 depending on POD / MFC / Patch settings.
  • Automatically switches in TC Mimic pedal on the pre right side only before dual amps (best doubler setup imo) for end to end stereo patches, controlled by the MFC enhancer switch.
  • I never actually control this switcher with my feet - it's only used via midi from MFC / POD.

1656778613241.jpeg

• Midi programming done with Bome Midi Translator Pro (80 routines - approx 1k lines of code).
  • Roland Octacapture facilitates output to any / all of: Studio Monitors (4Ch), 212 stereo Cab w C90s powered by tube amp head p.a. sections, 2x112 Cabs with V30 powered by Ehx 44 Magnums, 2x Fr Cabs powered by Matrix Gt1000fx.

Before anyone asks: I don't gig, never gig'd, likely never will - just a crappy guitar player hobbyist that appreciates some good tone and likes to tinker with gear while frustrated trying to play whatever scale / song I'm working on... The goal was / is to have one integrated system that lets me play in varying modes (modelled amps / pedals, real amps /pedal , IRs, real cabs ...) via switching without needing to be futzing with reconnecting wires all the time to change from one gear variation to another.

Typical Patch
1656780487326.png

Last edited:
I’m old school with a ART X-15 midi controller... works great for my needs, and it’s made of metal. I’ve gigged with it for years and years.
I have an X-15. A truly rugged beast. Love that it has two expression pedals built in. But I could never get used to those rubber footswitches. It takes a heavy stomp to activate them, and there’s zero tactile feedback, leaving them somewhat in the stomp-and-hope camp.

I have an X-15. A truly rugged beast. Love that it has two expression pedals built in. But I could never get used to those rubber footswitches. It takes a heavy stomp to activate them, and there’s zero tactile feedback, leaving them somewhat in the stomp-and-hope camp.
I know what you mean, I’ve have two of them over the last 30 years. First one (over the course of hundreds of gigs) the LED’s for the preset number started to go.. although it still worked. Then one expression pedal stopped working later on. I opened it up... the pc board for it broke in half. Weird... but it lasted a LONG time... so I found another.
Yeah... it’s rugged, and I like the two expression pedals built in. I’d say that if you have to step hard on the buttons, it’s starting to wear out. My newer one is no problem. They’re old units.. but durable, made of metal which is real important to me as a gigging player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Then it's been starting to wear out for 30 years. :)

That's one of the things I like about the FC-6 and FC-12 — 16-gauge steel housings.
I had a rather large lady fall over and ended up ass down on my FC-12 at a gig once, both lady and FC-12 were fine.

She didn't spill her drink either, which was a result.

So what preset did she select? :)

She did quite a bit actually. Banked up about 5 or 6 presets, my boost was on, delay off was on volume pedal on and my outboard tuner was on as well.

Took me a while to get it all reset.

The moral of this story ... ladies, please don't get drunk on Prosecco and bend over to put your glass down with your head right over the top of the fog jets when they suddenly go off :lol:

I had one of those, I bought it off a guy who sold it to me with an SGX-2000. He used it on a cruise ship for a number of years and the salt water had corroded the X-15 so when it was carried around the rusty base flapped around as it had corroded all the screws which had fallen out.

Still worked though. I put it in a skip in the end because it was becoming dangerous to transport with all the rust and jagged edges :lol:

D11D470B-0532-43D4-9A55-A1939FAD1AAC.jpeg
Here’s my old board- I’ve got it apart at the moment, to clean up some of the wiring, and to integrate a few other things, but I’ve been using this for maybe around three or four years now. Weighs a bit, but much less than my old rig! This is my church rig. I’ll probably pick up an fm9 when finances and supply chain stuff allow me to.
Scenes, effect IAs all handles through the FC12. Banks, presets, and a few other special things handled through the FC6. It’s got a Mimiq beneath the hood, and my wireless unit tucked in the back. You just plop it down, plug in the power, attach the stereo xlrs, and turn it on, and you’re good to go.

View attachment 104483
Here’s my old board- I’ve got it apart at the moment, to clean up some of the wiring, and to integrate a few other things, but I’ve been using this for maybe around three or four years now. Weighs a bit, but much less than my old rig! This is my church rig. I’ll probably pick up an fm9 when finances and supply chain stuff allow me to.
Scenes, effect IAs all handles through the FC12. Banks, presets, and a few other special things handled through the FC6. It’s got a Mimiq beneath the hood, and my wireless unit tucked in the back. You just plop it down, plug in the power, attach the stereo xlrs, and turn it on, and you’re good to go.
Nice! Bet it does weigh a bit though.

Then it's been starting to wear out for 30 years. :)

That's one of the things I like about the FC-6 and FC-12 — 16-gauge steel housings.
I had one brand new when they first came out to pair with my SGX-2000.

The hard press of the switches is why I got rid of it.

I agree 100% with your earlier comments :)

Back
Top Bottom