Laptop for recording question

RatBastard

Inspired
Hey guys, what's up? I am looking into getting a new laptop for recording. I was wondering what you are all using, and what would be good as far as GHz processing power, core processor, operating system (I prefer Windows) etc. My budget tops out around $500. The one I am looking at has an Intel Core i7 processor with a processor speed of 2.67 GHz, and Windows 7. Would that be sufficient? I don't really know shit about computers. Thanks.

Last edited:
A Core i5 would also work really well. I've had one in my desktop for years and it doesn't flinch. I think as long as you have a Core i5 and like 8 gigs of ram you'll be golden. Windows 10 is a little more efficient and optimized for audio than 7 and 8 are so that's the one you wanna use. How about you post a link to the machine you're looking at?

Last edited:
Timely question ... I'm also looking at getting a (windows) laptop to run Reaper with a 16 Track recording interface (LR-16 from Cymatic Audio) and was also wondering what configuration to get in terms of RAM and CPU processing. Would also like it to double as a "gig book" so I could have chord charts displayed using one of the "Song Sheet" type programs - so screen size is an issue as well. Not too big to look awkward but big enough for old eyes to see. Most people seem to use a table for the gig book work but I'd like one machine for both. Kind of a wide open question but maybe someone might have some useful advice.

Like I was saying, I highly recommend a Core i5-based machine. Those processors are more than capable of handling anything and everything you throw at them. I have 2 machines with them at home running Reaper. I'd say 8 gigs of RAM is a good amount to shoot for and I'm sure that's what most machines are probably coming with anyway. I recommend putting an SSD in there as well (like a Samsung 850-series for example) for fast boot/load times. Anything other than that is really just personal preference as far as build quality/form factor are concerned.

Any modern laptop will handle recording just fine.

Absolutely. I'm currently using a Surface 3 (not Pro), which is powered by an Atom processor, and it handles multitrack recording of the whole band just fine.

Recording isn't a tough job at all as long as the hard drive copes with the data stream (which it should), and you're not using a lot of plugins in your DAW to process sound while recording.

Just keep in mind that it is all true when you aren't monitoring through your DAW and aren't using lots of plugins while recording. For that, you need horsepower to keep latency low.

And do yourself a favor and use SSD.

I'll echo what others have said. If you can't afford a new macbook pro, find a used one. If mid 2012 version, you can upgrade both the ram (to 16 gb) and the drive (to 1tb ssd). If a 2013 or later, you can't update the ram...so, you must purchase a used one with the amount of ram you want (the ram is soldered to the motherboard). But, you can update the drive to a 1tb. It's a totally reliable and mobile solution, that just works for audio. You do need to consider if you're going to use firewire or usb 3.0 audio devices...if firewire is your thing, you may need to get an adapter for the thunderbolt port (new macbooks don't include a firewire port...my 2012 macbook does have one).

I believe http://forum.fractalaudio.com/members/mgavin.15197/ was discussing a macbook pro...unless you want to limit this discussion to just a single opinon.

Yes, he was, but he was the only person who mentioned a Mac. So, you're not echoing what others have said. Just what that person has said.

I don't have anything against Macbooks, by the way. But they aren't necessary in any way for audio recording. If you need Firewire or Thunderbolt, a Windows machine may be hard to find though.

I don't know if I'm echoing or adding or what, but I absolutely support the 2012 Macbook recommendation as well as the recommended upgrades. Might not quite fit the budget, but it's a great laptop solution and upgradeable in ways that newer MacBooks aren't. 2012 also has USB 3.0, Firewire 800, Thunderbolt and Bluetooth 4.0, so you get lots of great connectivity options. Bluetooth 4.0 allows for use of wireless midi which opens up great possibility.

Unless your "all in" for Apple stuff, I'd stay the hell away from macbooks.

USB 2.0, 2gb ram and a 5400rpm HDD are sufficient to stream 16 seperate mono channels of 24 bit WAV audio.

I was recording our bands rehearsals on a pentium 566 running win xp pro with the specs above via my X32 producer through usb with zero issues.

Just saying for recording you don't need a heavyweight.

HOWEVER If you then want to post process and mix those tracks that's where you need to look at CPU and RAM. Using vsts and plugins on many tracks is taxing on the CPU. The ram is for quick loading and editing.

That list doesn't give any good reasons for the ranking. Unless you consider Garage Band a reason.

And the OP didn't say anything about production.

Back
Top Bottom