AFIII Lanois-ish

iaresee

Administrator
Rainy day here (with thunder! that rarely happens in California!) so I thought I'd finally tackle those Daniel Lanois tones and put something to tape. This is the first track with more than just a guitar sample I've recorded at home in a very, very long time. I'd almost forgotten how to piece something together! It was all inspired by this post from @Admin M@ and that specific, unbelievably amazing video.

The preset is availble here: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8010

Here's a second version of the preset that uses factory IRs: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8032 -- I prefer the YA IRs, but this gets pretty close.

You'll need @York Audio's excellent IRs for that preset to work. Specifically, CAB1 uses YA 2X12 CLASS-A-57+121 MIX in User 1, slot #47 and CAB2 uses YA 1X12 GOLD-57+121 MIX in User 1, slot #45.

I had the monitors cranked while recording the guitar. The preset really demands to be played loud and with a light touch. It turns out: I do not have a light touch! :D I found it really hard to hit the notes I wanted cleanly, but to also stay light on those strings. It made for some very interesting phrases as I missed notes or hit things later than I had planned as a result. I used a pick too because I'm not as adept with my finger style on such touch-sensitive electric guitar settings like this.

This track also features me on an actual bass guitar. That's the Ibanez SDGR I bought back in February. For a track with this pace, this nice swing, I'm alright to play along. Don't ask me to play more notes than that though or I fall apart pretty quickly. Preset for the bass came from @austinbuddy's Naked Amp Pack -- it's the Ampeg SVT Bass 1 v5 preset on scene 5 little more mids.

The drums are the new Logic Drummer. It was fun to work with them. I stuck to programmed grooves and let the engine vary things. I didn't enable kick/snare follow the bass mode though I may go back and see how that sounds. It took a while to figure out how to get the triplet feel. For those who want the notes: swing around 65% and 8th note feel.

Last edited:
This sounds great and I’d really like to give it a go. I’m very much a novice when it comes to cabs and IRs so could someone please tell me which YA packs contain the two IRs mentioned above? Thanks in advance.

This sounds great and I’d really like to give it a go. I’m very much a novice when it comes to cabs and IRs so could someone please tell me which YA packs contain the two IRs mentioned above? Thanks in advance.
I’m honestly not sure where I got them. @York Audio might have given them to me. Or they may have been freebies on the forum. You could always run with approximations from the factory bundle. I’ll see if I can pick two that are close and post a recommendation here later today.

Thank you so much. I’m always blown away by the helpfulness of people here, although I guess I shouldn’t be as it tends to be the norm. Thanks to you and the many others who do so much for this community.

Thank you so much. I’m always blown away by the helpfulness of people here, although I guess I shouldn’t be as it tends to be the norm. Thanks to you and the many others who do so much for this community.
Here you go: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8032

It's a little bigger in the sonic spectrum with the factory IRs. The YA IRs are more focused and, for this kind of massive sound, I prefer that. But it still sounds great, feels great to play. Enjoy!

I’m honestly not sure where I got them. @York Audio might have given them to me. Or they may have been freebies on the forum. You could always run with approximations from the factory bundle. I’ll see if I can pick two that are close and post a recommendation here later today.
I think those were some freebies I posted a long time ago from some cabs a buddy brought to my studio. It’s cool to see someone still using them. :)

Rainy day here (with thunder! that rarely happens in California!) so I thought I'd finally tackle those Daniel Lanois tones and put something to tape. This is the first track with more than just a guitar sample I've recorded at home in a very, very long time. I'd almost forgotten how to piece something together! It was all inspired by this post from @Admin M@ and that specific, unbelievably amazing video.

The preset is availble here: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8010

Here's a second version of the preset that uses factory IRs: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8032 -- I prefer the YA IRs, but this gets pretty close.

You'll need @York Audio's excellent IRs for that preset to work. Specifically, CAB1 uses YA 2X12 CLASS-A-57+121 MIX in User 1, slot #47 and CAB2 uses YA 1X12 GOLD-57+121 MIX in User 1, slot #45.

I had the monitors cranked while recording the guitar. The preset really demands to be played loud and with a light touch. It turns out: I do not have a light touch! :D I found it really hard to hit the notes I wanted cleanly, but to also stay light on those strings. It made for some very interesting phrases as I missed notes or hit things later than I had planned as a result. I used a pick too because I'm not as adept with my finger style on such touch-sensitive electric guitar settings like this.

This track also features me on an actual bass guitar. That's the Ibanez SDGR I bought back in February. For a track with this pace, this nice swing, I'm alright to play along. Don't ask me to play more notes than that though or I fall apart pretty quickly. Preset for the bass came from @austinbuddy's Naked Amp Pack -- it's the Ampeg SVT Bass 1 v5 preset on scene 5 little more mids.

The drums are the new Logic Drummer. It was fun to work with them. I stuck to programmed grooves and let the engine vary things. I didn't enable kick/snare follow the bass mode though I may go back and see how that sounds. It took a while to figure out how to get the triplet feel. For those who want the notes: swing around 65% and 8th note feel.

Hell to the yeah!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom