• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Laney VH100R

Heavyplayer

Experienced
Would really love to have a Laney VH100R, I've had this amp quite awhile back, for a short time sadly, but this amp is very versatile. Come on Cliff, hook us up with at least one Laney.

stm113

Experienced
Hey Cliff your post reminded me of a post you made back in September-ish. You were saying that almost any amps tone we could want is available using the right base amp model and the right tweaks. IIRC there going to be some tutorials on this coming. Do you recall that at all? I am very interested in that.

Chris Hurley

Experienced
I really agree with FractalAudio's position on this. There are already a ton of amps in the unit. I'd rather have him save the space/resources to build out things that we don't already have in the unit.

Perhaps a user supported catalog of "how to mod Amp A into Amp H" would be better than just endless models that are just minor mods of existing amps.

RDH

Fractal Fanatic
I really agree with FractalAudio's position on this. There are already a ton of amps in the unit. I'd rather have him save the space/resources to build out things that we don't already have in the unit.

Perhaps a user supported catalog of "how to mod Amp A into Amp H" would be better than just endless models that are just minor mods of existing amps.
+1 I agree!

Heavyplayer

Experienced

Although you and apparently others agree with using space for something else, doesn't seem Cliff totally agrees as he is still modeling amps. And as you agree with his statement implies you already know how to mod. JMC800=VH100R

I also find it funny those who agree about not wanting more amps, are asking how to mod one amp to sound like another.
There is enough space for more amps then any of us would ever use, so that isn't an issue.

Heavyplayer

Experienced
A VH100R is a JCM800 with an optional added gain stage. I really don't see the need for amps that are basically copies of other amps.
Well, I'm a bit bummed but it's your creation and I totally respect and appreciate you being up front about it.
All I can do is ask.

Heavyplayer

Experienced
A VH100R is a JCM800 with an optional added gain stage. I really don't see the need for amps that are basically copies of other amps.
I was going to leave this be but it's been bugging me. Why do we have so many Marshall or Fender amps?
They're just copies of one another.

And as you know these are "copies" Marshall=Soldano=Peavey=Mesa Boogie. Yet we have all these.
Definitely not complaining, they're all great!

Hopefully you reconsider.

miketheman

Experienced
@Cliff or anyone else who may know:

I remember the marketing, or from the manual perhaps, that the Laney VC50 (combo version) stated something like one channel being more american soundwise (= clean channel? Fender?) and the other being more english soundwise (= distortion channel? Marshall?). Would you still use a JCM800 sim as the base and then tweak it settings to get close to each channel, or would you go for an second amp instead (X/Y)?

King Camel

if this is the case what steps could be taken to create a VH100R using the JCM800 as a template? changing the tonestack? different bias settings? anytips you can give to point me in the right direction?

Seeing as Opeth is my favorite band, I have no choice but to take the side of wanting a VH100 in here, as well as a Gh50 and a good Blackstar. I'm well aware that these amps are all just copies of others, and I was able to fake a VC30 quite well. But I have no idea what the differences would be between a Marshall and a Laney that makes them sound subtly different. "Doing my research" would mean getting my hands on the real amps or the schematics, then learning how to make sense of either of those- at the very least, a guide would be most helpful if anyone has that knowledge and is willing to share it.

King Camel

Seeing as Opeth is my favorite band, I have no choice but to take the side of wanting a VH100 in here, as well as a Gh50 and a good Blackstar. I'm well aware that these amps are all just copies of others, and I was able to fake a VC30 quite well. But I have no idea what the differences would be between a Marshall and a Laney that makes them sound subtly different. "Doing my research" would mean getting my hands on the real amps or the schematics, then learning how to make sense of either of those- at the very least, a guide would be most helpful if anyone has that knowledge and is willing to share it.
you sound like me dude. I've done exactly the same thing. I own both a VC30 and a GH100L. I'd love to have these in the axefx for easy of use. I've made a fairly convincing VC30 using the ac30 model but switching out the tone stack with a blackface. As for the GH100L/VH100R i cannot get close using just the JCM800 or JCM800 Mod. Theres something strange going on in the lower mids and treble i cannot quite get. Its a smoother tone than the JCM800 but has more treble but not in a harsh way. Is quite unique. Im sure the axe can get the tone i just need to know what parameters i need to be adjusting.

I know Opeth used the VH100R on Deliverance and Damnation records. Its a pretty nice sound if you ask me.

SeasonOfPain

Inspired
you sound like me dude. I've done exactly the same thing. I own both a VC30 and a GH100L. I'd love to have these in the axefx for easy of use. I've made a fairly convincing VC30 using the ac30 model but switching out the tone stack with a blackface. As for the GH100L/VH100R i cannot get close using just the JCM800 or JCM800 Mod. Theres something strange going on in the lower mids and treble i cannot quite get. Its a smoother tone than the JCM800 but has more treble but not in a harsh way. Is quite unique. Im sure the axe can get the tone i just need to know what parameters i need to be adjusting.

I know Opeth used the VH100R on Deliverance and Damnation records. Its a pretty nice sound if you ask me.
Keep in mind that Opeth used more than just the Laney for the distortion on Deliverance (a Triple Rectifier, to be precise): Deliverance - Equipment

The clean tone on Damnation, however, is definitely VH100R.

At one point I had both the GH100L and VH100R heads, and they were awesome.

(Necroposting, I know, but I found this thread on a search as I'd also love some hints on how to tweak the Axe to get these tones.)

AndyTNBD

Inspired
As for Opeth, AFAIK... live they used the VH amps for the power section only. Distortion was a Boss multifx!!

Top Bottom