Wish Laney VH 100

stm113

Power User
I had a G50 which was basically a single channel 50 little brother to this amp. It had an amazing clean and the gain, well it was late 90's Tony all day. But you could get it tighter too, I played in a band at the time that was Late 90's Testament meets Sabbath, meets Fear Factory and it delivered the goods and never mudded out. I haven't found the FAS equivalent to it yet.

For distorted tones, using the Brit 800 model with the Tube Driver in front has gotten me fairly close. The Tube Driver has a 12AX7 tube in it. I've seen people say the VH/GHs are just an 800 with an additional gain stage so it's surprising I still haven't seen anyone recommend the tube driver to get there. I keep middle and treble past noon on the amp.

For distorted tones, using the Brit 800 model with the Tube Driver in front has gotten me fairly close. The Tube Driver has a 12AX7 tube in it. I've seen people say the VH/GHs are just an 800 with an additional gain stage so it's surprising I still haven't seen anyone recommend the tube driver to get there. I keep middle and treble past noon on the amp.
My experience with the G50 is that it doesn’t have that upper mid presence or snarl (if you will) that Marshall amps tend to have. It has been a while though and I didn’t have good Marshall tone experience at that time. I just recall it seeming to be more present in the low mids than my 5150 which is the only other amp I had at the time.

Last edited:
My experience with the G50 is that it doesn’t have that upper mid presence or snarl (if you will) that Marshall amps tend to have. It has been a while though and I didn’t have good experience with Marshall amps. I just recall it seeming to be more present in the low mids than my 5150 which is the only other amp I had at the time.
Truthfully, I've never played one IRL. I just love the sound of them on Opeth's Blackwater Park. Leon Todd has a video on the real GH100L that I used to dial the Brit 800 model into that territory. He showcases the sound of them next to each other and the Laney had more brightness and that extra heft you mentioned. I was surprised how much mid and treble I was dialing in to match the sound he had going. The Marshall was a little smoother and slightly cloudy.

Truthfully, I've never played one IRL. I just love the sound of them on Opeth's Blackwater Park. Leon Todd has a video on the real GH100L that I used to dial the Brit 800 model into that territory. He showcases the sound of them next to each other and the Laney had more brightness and that extra heft you mentioned. I was surprised how much mid and treble I was dialing in to match the sound he had going. The Marshall was a little smoother and slightly cloudy.
Would you mind sharing a preset?

What about the Laney Ironheart? They offered at one point to send us one for consideration.
The IRT Studio with el84s (ewww) of all things was much more pleasing to me than the IRT120 I had. Killer 2u form factor and sounded killer \m/

Back
Top Bottom