Lana Del Rey - Love

Vio

Experienced
... it starts with a muted bass that haunts me and I can't get it dial in my FM3.
sounds like a reverb 70-90% mix slapping on a wet room walls.
Has anyone dialed it already?

It's a bass doubled by something percussive.

South Church is where I'd start.
Thanks! Definitely South Church :D I played a bit with the size and diffusion but I can't cut its tail to resemble the one in the song. It's like hitting two walls then dies.

Alright, so I can't share a preset because I'm running a beta, but the general approach I took was to put a delay and a reverb in parallel to each other and the dry signal. There's a post-note thing that happens in the recording that could be pre-delay on the reverb, but I found it easier to approximate with just a short delay like this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.34.45 PM.png
It sounds like this:

And then the reverb is South Church -- it's my goto when I need that moody space. In this case I dialed up the size a bit and cut a ton of low end out of the reverb because I didn't want the dry signal fighting with the reverb for that low end space. I just wanted the reverb to give it room. Like this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.36.24 PM.png
And this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.36.26 PM.png

And with just the reverb it sounds like this:

Now put delay and reverb on the signal (and mind the sloppy playing here) and you get something that's pretty close to the recording:

You get that "knock" after each stacatto pick from the delay. And then the tail from the reverb to put it in that huge room and make it moody.

Great track. She's definitely in my guilty pleasures play list. The production on her tracks is outstanding. NFR was a great album end-to-end too.

• Love
Reactions: Vio
thanks! that's cygnus right? can't wait.
I'll dial this too - should be similar... thanks again

thanks! that's cygnus right? can't wait.
Well, if I answered this question...you know...I'd have to kill you. :)

But to answer your quesiton, no, it's not Cygnus. Here's the preset that I based this on. Just delete the blocks you don't see in the pictures above, add delay and reverb with the settings you see above, use the Sub 15 scene and you're rocking.

I exported that from a bank backup using FracTool, but it should work.

Attachments

• Bass Face.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
Thanks!
Guilty pleasure indeed... she fits just right in my listening arsenal close to Haken, new Opeth, DT, O.S.I, Monuments, Maiden, Queensryche, Priest, Zepp, Yes and the old Genesis...
Blue Jeans, Videogames, Summertime Sadness, Born to die, most are depressing or the lyricist is, but the mood OMG, is so there. 'Love' is her best on my list.

I tried it :D . It seem the percussive part comes from the pick. Play it with fingers and it's not happening ;) . Also palm muting the strings gets it even closer.

Are you playing a Hofner? @iaresee is right that there is also a chime percussive synth double on the first of each of those repeated notes.
Given that, if I had to create this I'd use two reverb blocks: a booingy spring and a fat hall or cathedral/church.

Back
Top Bottom