Lake Butler Midi Midigator

I located a source for the adapter and the plugs. My links to the plugs and supply were deleted, so I guess anyone wanting the info will have to send me a PM.

You can buy the adapter cheap, but it has the wrong plug. The correct plug is also available cheap. You will have to replace the plug yourself.

The "adapter" is nothing more than a transformer with a center tapped secondary. The adapter is rated at 17.5 volts ac, but actually puts out 19.5 ac across the secondary. The voltage readings in my picture are approximate and were taken with a super cheap meter. The current rating is 0.7 amps.

After opening up my broken supplies, it appears the transformers themselves are bad. That doesn't speak well for their quality. Or perhaps I shorted out the secondaries doing something stupid like measuring the voltage. They are over twenty years old, so who knows?

Note that the plug is NOT a standard 5-pin DIN (like a midi plug). The pins are spaced in a 240 degree arc instead of 180 degrees.

The Mitigator will not accept phantom power.
Still have a link to that power supply replacement or know what I can do to build a new one quickly? I have a show in a few days and need to power up the midi unit. I have zero clue what to do about replacing the power supply. It’s been working for a while up until it randomly fried up today

I haven't found a direct replacement for the VARTA 3/V170R, but any 3.6 volt NiCad with over 200 mAH should work. Radio Shack has a couple of candidates, but they are not a direct replacement and would have to be installed as a kludge. I would replace the old one for sure. All three of my units won't hold a charge for very long now.

I am refurbishing my units, including replacing the battery and having the eproms copied (to refresh them as they are over 20 years old). I hope that 'bit rot' isn't occurring, as one of the units now corrupts data when it packs memory.

If I find a good replacement battery, I'll let you know.
Hello from BrazilI thought that no one in the world would be using RFCs anymore. Than I found you! That’s unbelievable! I’ve read you still got three. I bought mine in the early 90’s and had replaced the battery only once, but as I haven’t used it for quite a while I just found out it doesn’t display the words correctly when I turn it on. Maybe the eprom needs a refresh, right? Do you have the file to share? Please, that would be so awesome to wake rhe midi mitigator from the dead and I’d really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom