Lag when switching blocks on/off, both front panel and midi?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Does anybody else notice a lag when switching blocks on/off? I'm talking about just bypassing and activating blocks, not switching X/Y, changing presets or anything like that. At first I though it was a midi issue with my LF+ Pro+, but it happens when I use the front panel. It's not exactly seconds, but it's enough of a lag to be noticeable and kind of annoying, to me at least.

It can't be a CPU usage issue, my presets don't run above 75%, and I didn't notice any real improvement when I deleted blocks from my presets.

on your Axe-Fx, what is your MIDI Channel set to in the I/O MIDI menu front panel?

1. I haven't changed anything under the audio, midi, ctrl and pedal menus under I/O.

I also notice lag when using when using my expression pedal connected to my LF+ Pro+. I added some blocks so that I was running around 85% CPU usage, totally impossible to use the expression pedal, seconds of lag.

I remember running in up and over 85% CPU with my Ultra, and had no lag. It seems strange.

I also notice lag when using when using my expression pedal connected to my LF+ Pro+. I added some blocks so that I was running around 85% CPU usage, totally impossible to use the expression pedal, seconds of lag.
What if you lose the LF+ Pro+? Lag still?

Does the LF+ do two-way communication? If so, it could be the cause... I'm with Ian... Try disconnecting the LF and see what happens.

I built a preset running around 95% just for testing purposes. Connecting my expression pedal to the pedal jack on the Axe generated a bit of lag. Noticable to the player, but probably not to anyone else. Connecting it via my LF+ Pro+ generated seconds of lag. But, running a preset at 85% also generated tons of lag. It's connected to my Axe via a simple midi cable, no 2-way communication.

Turning blocks on/off is the about the same regardless of the CPU usage when doing it from the front panel, a short lag is always there. Midi is noticable more, somewhere around 150ms in my regular presets running at around 75%, so it's probably more when using a preset around 85%.

So it's something to do with the LF controller. At least you know where the problem is now.

It's connected to my Axe via a simple midi cable, no 2-way communication.
a simple midi-cable can still provide 2-way communication depending on the devices.

i'm not sure if you mentioned testing for lag with the LF disconnected? completely disconnected, not just using the front panel with the LF still plugged in.

i'm also not sure what "connecting my expression pedal to the pedal jack" was supposed to test?

please disconnect all MIDI devices and USB and expression pedals from the Axe-Fx. if you then switch blocks on/off, is there "lag"?

is there any way for you to create a video showing all of this? you can upload it to my public Dropbox if you don't want to do YouTube or something: https://www.dropbox.com/request/k1KMjyGjbYUSEF24pskj

So it's something to do with the LF controller. At least you know where the problem is now.

I actually think it has more to do with the Axe. I've used midi expression before, and not had lag like this. The Ultra didn't do this, for instance, and it's fine with lower CPU usage preset with the Axe-Fx II.

a simple midi-cable can still provide 2-way communication depending on the devices.

i'm not sure if you mentioned testing for lag with the LF disconnected? completely disconnected, not just using the front panel with the LF still plugged in.

i'm also not sure what "connecting my expression pedal to the pedal jack" was supposed to test?

please disconnect all MIDI devices and USB and expression pedals from the Axe-Fx. if you then switch blocks on/off, is there "lag"?

is there any way for you to create a video showing all of this? you can upload it to my public Dropbox if you don't want to do YouTube or something: https://www.dropbox.com/request/k1KMjyGjbYUSEF24pskj

The lag is the same with the front panel regardless of if the LF is connected or not. It's actually quite hard to hear a 150ms lag in a video clip filmed with a phone. I mean, how will you EXACTLY when I press the button on my midi controller? The expression lag is easy to record though, doesn't even have to be a video.

Connecting the expression pedal straight to the Axe was a way of determining if it is a midi issue or something else in the Axe.

I mean, how will you EXACTLY when I press the button on my midi controller?
it's better than having absolutely no idea of what's going on. you could show both the pressing of the button and the result on the axe in the video and it should be a good representation of what's happening.

Connecting the expression pedal straight to the Axe was a way of determining if it is a midi issue or something else in the Axe.
i'm still confused as to how an expression pedal test can help to test turning blocks on and off. what are you controlling with the pedal?

a video will clear all of this back and forth up. show us what you're doing visually and we can probably figure it out.

it's better than having absolutely no idea of what's going on. you could show both the pressing of the button and the result on the axe in the video and it should be a good representation of what's happening.

i'm still confused as to how an expression pedal test can help to test turning blocks on and off. what are you controlling with the pedal?

a video will clear all of this back and forth up. show us what you're doing visually and we can probably figure it out.

Only I can feel when I press the button so 150-200ms is too little time for me to take my foot of the controller so you can see that I already pressed the button before the Axe responded.

There are 2 issues here. The blocks on/off and expression pedal controlling wah and whammy. I stated that in my third post :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom