Lag on the AX8 when switching presets.

No, that's why they offer different products.
Well, obviously... but the one most likely to be used in studio switches faster than the one purpose-built for live performance where gapless switching is the most advantageous. It seems it should be the other way around.

I was showing the AX8 and Helix to a friend. I dialed up Mark Day's 80s preset to demo scenes and Amp X/Y. I haven't read this whole thread, but Inwas surprised by the audio gap when switching scenes. But stranger is that the audio gap seems to happen AFTER the sound changed to the new sound. Anyone else hear this?

1. Were you connected to AX8Edit when you did this? If so, that's the problem.
2. Are you noticing this "after gap" going from dirty to clean or clean to dirty or both directions?
-
Austin

Well, obviously... but the one most likely to be used in studio switches faster than the one purpose-built for live performance where gapless switching is the most advantageous. It seems it should be the other way around.

The unit that's purpose-built for live use also doesn't have global blocks :D

But whatever. Who cares what they say about why or who they built it for? It either works for you or it doesn't.
-
Austin

Last edited:
1. Were you connected to AX8Edit when you did this? If so, that's the problem.
2. Are you noticing this "after gap" going from dirty to clean or clean to dirty or both directions?
-
Austin

Ah, yes. It was connected since I was showing him the online editor. DOH!

The unit that's purpose-built for live use also doesn't have global blocks :D

But whatever. Who cares what they say about why or who they built it for? It either works for you or it doesn't.
-
Austin
Well, the unit that's made to be cheaper is the one with less power, end of story. I don't think it was Cliff's intention to build a unit with slower switching time - it was all about packing as much as what the Axe Fx does in a cheaper box.

Well, the unit that's made to be cheaper is the one with less power, end of story. I don't think it was Cliff's intention to build a unit with slower switching time - it was all about packing as much as what the Axe Fx does in a cheaper box.

I am not bitching or making premeditated conclusions until i have AX8 in my hands.
Though, in the end of the day, if it's a problem, it's a problem!

Personally i use either reverb, delay or sometimes a mix of the two. That's mainly it; and it would be good if a solution could be found without having to compensate here and there. If it's a hardware limitation as has been pointed out many times and there's no solution, then everyone should know AxeII is the solution.

Reading the whole thread with all the great "workaround" suggestions scared me a bit off, but on the second thought I still hope there is possibility of tweaking to be done, and not by users, but by the makers of the product / software.

Ad rem, although a bit of digression, as well ;-) :

I've spent hours trying to get rid of audible artifacts (pops, clicks) while doing MIDI channel switching on a valve amp with effects loop engaged and with signal changers enabled (think EVH 50w with booster in the loop to get proper volume balance between clean and crunch). This was a nightmare at first - until I realized, there absolutely has to be a mechanism involved, that lowers the volume during switching, no other way around.

I found the devices that could do this, and I am (was) a happy user of those (POD HD500 MIDI out, now GLAB GSC2/3 MIDI out). The effect - this noticeable fade in, fade out - during channel switching is similar to what you are showing, and (being a total zealot of seamless switching! ;-) ) I'm able to live with it, really.

From what I heard in the above showed streams, the only thing Fractal creators need to tweak, is the way / the speed / duration of this fade in / fade out. It would be great if users could choose in the future the mode the unit does it:

"need more attack at the first note" - choose pattern 1 / speed 1/ waveform 1 (or sth..)
"need absolutely no dropout / artifact" - choose pattern 2 / speed 2/ etc....

In my old GSC3 there are 3 or 4 "levels" of silent switching you can choose from. And (being a total Iayman here) I hope the theory behind silencing the artifacts is the same regardless of the technology, thus can be implemented in AX8 and alikes as well.

If your a new Axe user here is one thing I will say about Cliff .

He is well aware of this thread and if there is anyway to fix or minimize the audio gaps . He is implementing it or working on a solution.

I have seen many similar threads in past and a month or 2 later new firmware resolves the complaint . I am confident that as more of the Ax8 get in people s hands if a solution is possible FAS will provide it

He is well aware of this thread and if there is anyway to fix or minimize the audio gaps . He is implementing it or working on a solution.

I have seen many similar threads in past and a month or 2 later new firmware resolves the complaint . I am confident that as more of the Ax8 get in people s hands if a solution is possible FAS will provide it

Maybe all the engineers at Line 6 and Cliff just haven't gotten around to it yet. Or, just maybe, the gap is what it is and users will just have to deal with it. I'm betting on the latter. And if you're buying an AX8 and counting on the latter... Well, you know what they say about assumptions. :D
-
Austin

Personally i think FAS nailed it all the way, since the beginning.
Getting the Lag issue sorted on the AX8 (if it;s possible) is necessary. If not i've mentioned a few times AXEII has us covered on that.

Apart from that AX8 needs nothing else from what it offers as a package.

Hi,

i have a similar problem with a small pop in the audio signal. Is it a bug that the audio signal gets cutoff hardly when switching scenes. In my setup i just use an amp and cab in the preset and when i switch the amp block i get a small pop, because there is no "fadeout".

Two examples:
1. Amp XY Switch

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9nzw73kt1ksf9e/AmpXY.wav?dl=0

2. Scene switch 1 and 2 with amp in bypass mode:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p55ktgna7dbhsxn/CabXY2.wav?dl=0

Image of if the cutoff; even with "no amp" (bypassed)

Picture.png

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

I've heard it many times on my AX8. Can't recall in which configurations / presets.

That's something FAS needs to improve. By any means I'm not comparing the two products, but that was the beauty of POD HD500 - it did that clever fade out - fade in operation _regardless_ of what was in the chain (I've used sometimes POD as merely a MIDI controller with just FX loop block engaged!) And I will say it again and again - volume drop was much shorter and sounded much more natural, when stomping from clean to dirty, whatsoever.

I've been dicking around with the AX8 all evening trying to get a bank of presets together for my rehearsal Thursday. One thing I've noticed is that the work flow in the AX8 is a very different thing than other modelers I'm used to with the usual bottom row of patches and top row of effects where one might be inclined to use two different presets to jump between tones... AX8 you either to go to sticky preset mode or tap twice to switch presets. I'll definitely have to learn to embrace scenes and X/Y... for mid song tone switches... (Very rare thing for me to switch more than clean / dirty...)

I've been dicking around with the AX8 all evening trying to get a bank of presets together for my rehearsal Thursday. One thing I've noticed is that the work flow in the AX8 is a very different thing than other modelers I'm used to with the usual bottom row of patches and top row of effects where one might be inclined to use two different presets to jump between tones... AX8 you either to go to sticky preset mode or tap twice to switch presets. I'll definitely have to learn to embrace scenes and X/Y... for mid song tone switches... (Very rare thing for me to switch more than clean / dirty...)

This isn't true. If you want to, you can set the bottom footswitches to select presets and the top row for other things. It's up to you. When I had an AX8, I had the bottom row switches select Presets 1-4 in a bank and the top switches did different things depending on the preset. As a bonus, for the preset I was currently on, the Preset switch was set as an Amp X/Y or Scene 1/2 switch (depending on what was most useful). So when I was on Preset 1, the bottom row switches were: Amp X/Y, Preset 2, Preset 3, Preset 4. If I hit Preset 2, the bottom row would change to Preset 1, Scene 1/2, Preset 3, Preset 4. Etc... Now, it's true that you can't bank through presets this way, but there is plenty of flexibility there once you wrap your mind around it.
-
Austin

This isn't true. If you want to, you can set the bottom footswitches to select presets and the top row for other things. It's up to you. When I had an AX8, I had the bottom row switches select Presets 1-4 in a bank and the top switches did different things depending on the preset. As a bonus, for the preset I was currently on, the Preset switch was set as an Amp X/Y or Scene 1/2 switch (depending on what was most useful). So when I was on Preset 1, the bottom row switches were: Amp X/Y, Preset 2, Preset 3, Preset 4. If I hit Preset 2, the bottom row would change to Preset 1, Scene 1/2, Preset 3, Preset 4. Etc... Now, it's true that you can't bank through presets this way, but there is plenty of flexibility there once you wrap your mind around it.
-
Austin

You can assign Bank Up and Down to the tap or hold of the function switches, so you can indeed bank through presets when you have a mixed Preset / IA switch layout.

I have a patch (and I will post it later, but I am at work now), where I have to scenes. One is an electric lead tone, and the other is an acoustic simulation. As you may imagine, almost all blocks are switched, either on/off or X/Y. I get a loud audible sound when going from one scene to the other (but not the other way). I could easily live with a period of silence, but the popping is really annoying. I believe it could be related to the delay block being x/y'd.

Back
Top Bottom