Lag on the AX8 when switching presets.

Drive pedals offer you more versatility than using the same base amp tone; and there is no noticeable lag.

I have actually not found that to be true. I didn't record it but there was a lag in engaging the drive on a preset similar to that of x/y amp switching if I recall correctly. I'll have to do some more recording to doublecheck.
-
Austin

no lag with scene controllers either, but just reducing gain doesn't always give the range of tones you need with the same amp. it works in certain situations though!

I have actually not found that to be true. I didn't record it but there was a lag in engaging the drive on a preset similar to that of x/y amp switching if I recall correctly. I'll have to do some more recording to doublecheck.
-
Austin
engaging a drive pedal should have absolutely no gap or delay, it shouldn't sound at all like Amp XY switching. if Edit is running, that might cause it. the video i linked to earlier shows instant On/Off of a drive pedal.

engaging a drive pedal should have absolutely no gap or delay, it shouldn't sound at all like Amp XY switching. if Edit is running, that might cause it. the video i linked to earlier shows instant On/Off of a drive pedal.

No edit running, just toggling the ruckus drive on a preset. I could be wrong though. And I certainly didn't hear any lag in your videos. I'll doublecheck tonight and report back.
-
Austin

scene modifiers, cleverly applied to an amp model's drive level and output gain will allow you multiple varieties of clean, mid gain, and high gain tones from one amp, each assigned to a different scene, and gapless. One concern might be the bass/mid/treble/presence settings as the gain settings change, but this is also manageable with EQ blocks engaged/bypassed as needed.

As mentioned previously, @clarky made a mission of using control modifiers on the AxeFxII with an expression pedal to transition seamlessly from one amp sound to another, with 2 amp blocks.

I also think that AxeFxII with scenes + X/Y, on 2 amp models having parallel signal paths and vol blocks in front of them, can get you up to 4 amp models with seamless switching. I haven't tested this yet but the idea goes like this:

scene 1: vol block engaged row 1, amp 1 X engaged; vol block bypass muted on row 2, amp 2 X engaged
= amp 1X audible

scene 2: vol block bypass muted row 1, amp 1Y engaged; vol block engaged row 2, amp 2 X engaged
= amp 2X audible

scene 3: vol block engaged row 1, amp 1X engaged; vol block bypass muted row 2, amp 2Y engaged
= amp 1Y audible

scene 4: vol block bypass muted row 1, amp 1Y engaged; vol block engaged row 2, amp 2Y engaged
= amp 2Y audible

the thought here is that the bypass/engage states of the volume blocks (that control whether signal does or does not flow to the amp in row 1 or 2 signal path) will switch from row 1 to row 2 quicker than the amp blocks as they change from X to Y state. Similarly, you could assign amp 1 to see Left input and amp 2 to see right input, and use a pan block with a scene modifier to change from L to R per scene as desired.

It's stuff like this that makes the AxeFxII the leader of the pack for routing and control flexibility.

My memory of all this is far from perfect, so feel free to correct or clarify any erroneous information or assumptions I may have made in this post.

Combine the AMP block gain change with the engaging of a PEQ block to reshape the sound. Put the PEQ between the AMP and CAB block. Lots of variations possible!

Sure. Pedals, scenes, PEQ block, are all solutions for the live situation I've described. To much tweaking though, goes against the philosophy i "personally" have in mind. Which is using a couple of my favorite amps out of the box; have a few rows ( if you understand what i mean) of clean, crunch, lead with different amps; adjust basic eq for each amp if necessary, assign them reverb and delay and ready to go.
That's the base of my setup idea and why i think AxeII will fit my idea better. Pity though, cause i really wanted to save money and carry less hardware with me.

scene modifiers, cleverly applied to an amp model's drive level and output gain will allow you multiple varieties of clean, mid gain, and high gain tones from one amp, each assigned to a different scene, and gapless. One concern might be the bass/mid/treble/presence settings as the gain settings change, but this is also manageable with EQ blocks engaged/bypassed as needed.

As mentioned previously, @clarky made a mission of using control modifiers on the AxeFxII with an expression pedal to transition seamlessly from one amp sound to another, with 2 amp blocks.

I also think that AxeFxII with scenes + X/Y, on 2 amp models having parallel signal paths and vol blocks in front of them, can get you up to 4 amp models with seamless switching. I haven't tested this yet but the idea goes like this:

scene 1: vol block engaged row 1, amp 1 X engaged; vol block bypass muted on row 2, amp 2 X engaged
= amp 1X audible

scene 2: vol block bypass muted row 1, amp 1Y engaged; vol block engaged row 2, amp 2 X engaged
= amp 2X audible

scene 3: vol block engaged row 1, amp 1X engaged; vol block bypass muted row 2, amp 2Y engaged
= amp 1Y audible

scene 4: vol block bypass muted row 1, amp 1Y engaged; vol block engaged row 2, amp 2Y engaged
= amp 2Y audible

the thought here is that the bypass/engage states of the volume blocks (that control whether signal does or does not flow to the amp in row 1 or 2 signal path) will switch from row 1 to row 2 quicker than the amp blocks as they change from X to Y state. Similarly, you could assign amp 1 to see Left input and amp 2 to see right input, and use a pan block with a scene modifier to change from L to R per scene as desired.

It's stuff like this that makes the AxeFxII the leader of the pack for routing and control flexibility.

My memory of all this is far from perfect, so feel free to correct or clarify any erroneous information or assumptions I may have made in this post.

I also think that AxeFxII with scenes + X/Y, on 2 amp models having parallel signal paths and vol blocks in front of them, can get you up to 4 amp models with seamless switching.
I am happy with 3 amp models. Need nothing more than that.
And the reason i'l most probably get one.

Drive pedals offer you more versatility than using the same base amp tone; and there is no noticeable lag.

The idea is that varying the amp gain tone alters your base tone, so you can go from a clean amp sound to a crunchy amp sound.

Drive pedals are just another tool to build upon your base tone.

O.k., so I looked at this some more tonight. There is no delay when toggling on a Drive block audible or engaging wise. It seemed like there was a delay because I am still not completely used to the switching taking effect when you lift your foot off the button (as opposed to when you stomp down on it). You can change this behavior if you want, but then you would lose long-press actions, which isn't worth it to me. So I just need to get used to having to be a bit fleeter of foot. My apologies for the stupidity :D
-
Austin

O.k., so I looked at this some more tonight. There is no delay when toggling on a Drive block audible or engaging wise. It seemed like there was a delay because I am still not completely used to the switching taking effect when you lift your foot off the button (as opposed to when you stomp down on it). You can change this behavior if you want, but then you would lose long-press actions, which isn't worth it to me. So I just need to get used to having to be a bit fleeter of foot. My apologies for the stupidity :D
-
Austin

@ atquinn Thanks for clearing that out.

The idea is that varying the amp gain tone alters your base tone, so you can go from a clean amp sound to a crunchy amp sound.

Drive pedals are just another tool to build upon your base tone.
Makes sense. There is flexibility to vary amp sound without lag, even with AX8.

Meh. I don't know what kind of music you need to play to absolutely need zero lag when changing presets. Seems capricious to me. A good player will make the song happen regardless and not cry about "spillover milk" :)

My problem with accepting this is, this was never a problem with any of the gear I've used over the years, whether it be rack gear from the 80's, tube amps, or consumer or pro-sumer modeling gear, and ALL of that gear was vastly inferior to the AX8.

I understand WHY it happens, but I'm used to having gear that DOESN'T do that, it's hard to swallow paying more for up-to-date gear that does. You're buying state of the art, top of the mountain gear, paying the price for it, and suffering a 'problem' that you've never had before.

The AX8 has a LONG list of amps, I don't want to hear that I have to stay on one amp model and use drive pedals, or any other bo-bo solution, I want to step on one switch and change my entire sound, without a sound dropout, like I have been doing for decades now, with lesser gear than the AX8.

That, to me, is like buying a 2016 Lexus that doesn't come with an airbag, and someone telling you that you have to adjust your driving, and if you don't get into an accident, it won't be a problem, when a Ford Fiesta comes standard with an airbag. Yeah, the Lexus is a MUCH better vehicle, and has a lot of bells and whistles, but . . .

I understand WHY it happens, but I'm used to having gear that DOESN'T do that, it's hard to swallow paying more for up-to-date gear that does. You're buying state of the art, top of the mountain gear, paying the price for it, and suffering a 'problem' that you've never had before.
What gear are you talking about though? The AX8 is doing everything on its own. If you are referring to a real amp and a drive pedal, those are 2 separate units that only do 1 thing at a time. So there will be no drop out when you engage the pedal since that's all it does.

A real amp with multiple channels has no dropout because the multiple channels are ready to go, just switch physical circuits/paths.

The true way to compare the AX8 to that is having multiple AX8 units with their settings loaded, ready to go, and switch audio paths. That would be an exact comparison.

The quick way to solve the "problem" is to use multiple devices like everyone has before. But for me, a short audio gap when changing presets is far less of an issue than having to bring over 222 amps, 500+ cabs, countless effects, cables and mics to the gig. ;)

My problem with accepting this is, this was never a problem with any of the gear I've used over the years, whether it be rack gear from the 80's, tube amps, or consumer or pro-sumer modeling gear, and ALL of that gear was vastly inferior to the AX8.

The AX8 has a LONG list of amps, I don't want to hear that I have to stay on one amp model and use drive pedals, or any other bo-bo solution, I want to step on one switch and change my entire sound, without a sound dropout, like I have been doing for decades now, with lesser gear than the AX8.

That, to me, is like buying a 2016 Lexus that doesn't come with an airbag, and someone telling you that you have to adjust your driving, and if you don't get into an accident, it won't be a problem, when a Ford Fiesta comes standard with an airbag. Yeah, the Lexus is a MUCH better vehicle, and has a lot of bells and whistles, but . . .

:D I'm with you Baba. Welcome to the forum brother!
As a sidenote. @jimfist mentioned a good possible solution with the AxeII. If its possible it's great.
The con is, you will spend much more money, but it is what it is.

What gear are you talking about though? The AX8 is doing everything on its own. If you are referring to a real amp and a drive pedal, those are 2 separate units that only do 1 thing at a time. So there will be no drop out when you engage the pedal since that's all it does.

A real amp with multiple channels has no dropout because the multiple channels are ready to go, just switch physical circuits/paths.

The true way to compare the AX8 to that is having multiple AX8 units with their settings loaded, ready to go, and switch audio paths. That would be an exact comparison.

The quick way to solve the "problem" is to use multiple devices like everyone has before. But for me, a short audio gap when changing presets is far less of an issue than having to bring over 222 amps, 500+ cabs, countless effects, cables and mics to the gig. ;)
@Chris@AxeFxTutorials. Did you come across what @jimfist wrote. Do you think it works? If so; we should be happy :)

@Chris@AxeFxTutorials. Did you come across what @jimfist wrote. Do you think it works? If so; we should be happy :)
Sure that works and is a smart way to configure things. I don't need anything that complex though and can just switch presets 200 milliseconds early. :) I'm not saying that's the end of discussion, and we know FAS will improve anything they can. I just don't explore that path.

Sure that works and is a smart way to configure things. I don't need anything that complex though and can just switch presets 200 milliseconds early. :) I'm not saying that's the end of discussion, and we know FAS will improve anything they can. I just don't explore that path.
:)
I think we got to the conclusion and can leave the thread as solved.

Back
Top Bottom