Kurt Rosenwinkel & Axe-Fx III

He was not running it thru the Fender amp behind him, was he?

I don't believe so - to be honest I wasn't quite sure how he had it hooked up. That Twin Reverb was turned off, and it looked like he had a 1U power amp sitting underneath the Axe-Fx, which he changed the volume on a couple of times during the set, but I'm not sure what it was driving. He had wedges in front of him - so it could have been those. Wanted to chat with him afterwards about his rig but missed him unfortunately. I was wondering how long he's been gigging with it.

Saw Kurt Rosenwinkel and Peter Bernstein at Chris' Jazz Cafe in Philly last night - guess what Kurt was playing through...?

View attachment 51469 View attachment 51470

Awesome tone, great show.

He was also on the forum some years ago. If i remeber correct he posted a question about fender cleans.

I had couple of direct messaages with him, was trying to help.

I think he switched to kemper for a while, not surprized with his decision to get the axe fx 3.

Gear to side, he is an incredible composer, musician.

Cool. I saw him once @ Montreal Jazz Festival and he literally had dozens of pedals set up and a spaghetti mess connecting them all! So for him to get all his tones out of Fractal is sayin' somethin'.......

Cool. I saw him once @ Montreal Jazz Festival and he literally had dozens of pedals set up and a spaghetti mess connecting them all! So for him to get all his tones out of Fractal is sayin' somethin'.......

He still had plenty of pedals hooked up - I don't think he's fully in the box just yet!

He still had plenty of pedals hooked up - I don't think he's fully in the box just yet!

Yeah, noticed that. I'm not very familiar with his work, but the dozen or so examples I pulled up on youtube were all clean with a little reverb and/or delay. Standard soft jazz fare. Honestly, the III seems like complete overkill for his genre.

Probably using the Ax III for effects. I'm a huge Kurt fan. Still looks like he has a spaghetti western going on that piano bench and floor.

What brand is that 335 copy?

Probably using the Ax III for effects. I'm a huge Kurt fan. Still looks like he has a spaghetti western going on that piano bench and floor.

Yeah - he tapped on the RJ Mastermind once or twice, but mostly was riding a delay expression pedal, and engaging / disengaging his beat up old RAT pedal on the floor for some solos.

What brand is that 335 copy?

It's a Westville Vanguard Double Cutaway made by Walkin' Guitars of Japan.

http://www.walkin.co.jp/

Yeah, noticed that. I'm not very familiar with his work, but the dozen or so examples I pulled up on youtube were all clean with a little reverb and/or delay. Standard soft jazz fare. Honestly, the III seems like complete overkill for his genre.

It's probably also overkill for my basement... at least he's an international touring musician! Since it wasn't in a rack case I was wondering if it was a brand new toy.

View attachment 51471
It was more like this when I saw him back in Montreal but even more pedals!

All the extra cabling gives him that high end roll off that those jazz tones demand. :D

It's probably also overkill for my basement... at least he's an international touring musician.

Probably for mine as well, but I play out a bunch and use a bunch of different amp models and effects.

What I meant by overkill was still having a ton of pedals, using minimal effects on the unit, almost nothing in the way of dirty tones except a real Rat pedal, and nothing racked up or on a board. I mean, do what you want and he obviously can, but I’d probably slim down to 3-4 pedals and an HX Stomp. If that. Wouldn’t that make touring internationally easier? Seeing that mess on the floor tweaks my OCD, and I don’t mean the pedal. :D

It is likely overkill for the majority of the base users, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Kurt uses a traditional clean sound for a lot standards but on his original material he really uses effects creatively and subtly. Check out his tone on this tune: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/heavenly-bodies/577229823?i=577230219

I love my Fender Twin but one of the advantages of having the -III is not having to haul that thing around.

Back
Top Bottom