Kudos to Fractal ! Metallica/AX7 gig in Baltimore.

I have tickets for June at Busch stadium for this tour. Volbeat is the opener and I'm taking the whole family. Can't wait!
Matt, thanks for the details on your work with Metallica, one of my fave bands ever!

@iaresee pretty happy with most of my pre sets and the packs I have bought (from 3 or 4 builders) really are not much different from what I
have designed apart from coming up with a nice eq tweak or most importantly a killer IR!

My comment was from the perspective of what Mat is building in conjunction with Metallica guys is going to be so off the charts killer that I would pay top $ for that sort of next level consulting if ya know what I mean?

Last gushing Fractal fanboy post at least for now.....

Matt - I've had two personal dealings with you (you once rewarded me for owning up to a bad judgement call I made as part of an EBay sale and another time when you personally held an XL for me) and I completely got the sense that you were treating me with the exact same level of professionalism, timeliness, quick response and respect you give to James Hetfield.

THATS how customer loyalty is honed.
Each time I've had mechanical issues with the XL or the MFC-III, FAS always took care of me. I'll always invest in this product, because it's the best. I always recommend this product, because it's a worthy investment. Now I own an AX8 for my pedal steel guitar/backup rig.

I cannot wait to see this show on Sunday at Met Life in NJ. I can't wait o hear how good this is going to sound no Tony from Metallica but also Volbeat and A7X.

I'm 99% sure they are running direct. I've seen times where they have a cab onstage and other times without it. But they are not mic'ing them. I though I read something recently that since they switched to the new Meyer monitors they weren't using cabs but then I read something about they still wanted some cabs on stage for the feel. I'm sure Matt will answer definitively. I got tickets for Houston in June. Can't wait!

Now imagine one million dollars worth of it, connected to your Axe-Fx II XL+ running Quantum 8.01.

Yeah.
Did someone say...
4370544.jpg

I have worked with Metallica for several years on their Axe-Fx II tones. I began with their engineers and techs to create custom IRs for Antarctica. I visited their HQ last year to upgrade, refine and re-invent those IRs based on the sounds of the new album (and the advent of UltraRes). The presets and effects are an ongoing team effort. As you know, Cliff created a custom "C++" amp for James, which is what you hear in their live rigs (watch for promo on Colbert etc. next week). I work directly with James and Kirk and their techs Chad and Justin, as well as bass tech Zach (and more recently, bassist Robert Trujillo). Even after we finish, there is an ongoing effort to ride the lightning towards perfection du jour. Tone is an ongoing process. The Metallica team of techs are among the most knowledgable support staff you will find with any artist. The preset designs are quite intricate, utilizing scenes, XY, modifiers, Global Blocks, and various types of custom switching across two Axe-Fx II units per musician.

Most recently, I upgraded all systems to Quantum 8.01 and then worked hands-on with the guys and legendary "Big Mick" who handles Front-of-House for the band. Together, we dialed in the tones for the band's new state-of-the art PA from Meyer Sound. This PA is insane. I got to play through it in Ravens Stadium this week. (My nephew, who lives several miles away, could hear me from his house!) Mick is amazing at what he does—an industry icon. FOH guys around the world have told that they learned about Fractal Audio from him. The Metallica quote on our web site is in fact his words:

We wanted to hate the Fractal. All that work formulating and honing the Metallica guitar sounds was going to be lost. We couldn't have been more wrong! It opened the door to way more options than we had ever had before. In short, WOW. — “Big Mick” Hughes, Engineer, Metallica

I hope to spend some more time together with Mick and an Axe-Fx II unit one-on-one when the tour ends and time permits.

I told James that one of the things that best distinguishes Metallica is the very high quality of people at every level. A commitment to excellence pervades every aspect of the operation from the top down. I (blatantly immodestly) think our companies have that in common which makes for a great match. It is my pleasure to support them, and we at Fractal Audio are honored that they chose our products to bring their music to the world.

View attachment 39759

As you mentioned, A7X and Volbeat also use Fractal Audio Systems products extensively. Those are also great people to work with. Maybe I'll talk to them about writing something about their worlds.

That's Amazing!!!! Cheers Man

Will they ever play Spit out the Bone live is what I wanna know :)

I guess one day they will just build Axe Fx into every venue and you just literally upload your patches and turn up with your guitar.
Ah technology!

Back
Top Bottom