KRK Rokit w/ Axe III Issue

rrhoads17

Inspired
Why do the KRK monitors sound so boomy or boxy with the Axefx? When I use my Blue Mofi headphones, it sounds way more balanced and realistic as to what the sound is supposed to do. It seems like the KRK monitors colorize the sound. Is there a way to fix this? I have the monitors on foam pads to take out excess bass.

you don’t say what kind of headphones you have, but they probably have poor bass response. if you dialed in your tones with the headphones, they’re going to sound really bass heavy with full range speakers

He did say what headphones he has, and they're excellent. (I have the earlier version.)

KRK's IMO are not great. The ones I had were boomy too. I'm was much happier with Yamaha HS8's that were better, but CLR are what I run now.

So yes, it's the speakers. You might try an EQ at the end of all of your presets that's disabled when you're going through headphones, and engage when you play through the KRK's. Tweak that to dial out the boomy.

R

Dialing in a tone with headphones is difficult if you are not very experienced in doing so.
IMO, there is a great chance the result will be far less satisiying than dialing in the tone using FRFR speakers.
Mind the appropriate level when dialing in tones. Dialing in a tone at bedroom level will not work at stage level.

The positions of your speakers in the room are very important too to have them neutrally sounding. Particularly if you want to avoid boomy or muddy sound.

First, if your room permits, place the speakers away from the front wall. This reduces reflections from the front walls and helps to tame boomy bass.

The distances from the side walls are equally important. The golden rectangle rule states that a speaker’s distance to the nearest side wall should be at least 1.6 times its distance from the front wall. For example, if the distance from the front wall is 3 feet, then the distance to the nearest side wall should be at least 4.8 feet for each speaker (or vice versa if your room is wider than longer).

Position the speakers so that the distance between the front wall is 1/3 to 1/5 the length of the room. Doing so will prevent the speakers from creating standing waves and exciting room resonances. Angle the speakers towards the listening position.

Your playing / listening position is as important as speaker position to achieve good sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom