1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Krank amp

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Wish List' started by Snegov1k, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Snegov1k

Snegov1k
    Expand Collapse
    New here

What about krank amp? it's so popular and sounds very good but there is no one in axe!

phantomdancer, mnemonic and symphx like this.
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart
    Expand Collapse

Eh, I wouldn't venture as far as to say that they're "so popular." They're not even in business anymore. If I had to choose one to go in the Axe, I'd choose the Krank Revolution 1.

mnemonic and zenaxe like this.
  3. metal190

metal190
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I wouldn't venture as far as to say that "they're not even in business anymore". The NEW republic of KRANK AMPS

mnemonic likes this.
  4. bigbrown2056

bigbrown2056
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I still have my Krankenstein because it's a good sounding amp.

phantomdancer and mnemonic like this.
  5. Lionheart

Lionheart
    Expand Collapse

I'm not really that surprised. Tony has been all over the amp world since closing Krank amps down and something must've made him want to resurrect the brand. Don't get me wrong, he's a good amp builder. He's just not one of the many great amp builders out there these days. Of course, IMHO. [emoji6]

6. Lionheart

Lionheart
    Expand Collapse

Oh, and technically, they're still out of business. [emoji14]

7. happycritter

happycritter
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I *might* have a schematic or two lying around, but from what I recall...they weren't terribly special a re-voiced Marshall with an extra gain stage if I'm not mistaken. I'll look it up if you need me to.

mnemonic likes this.
  8. metal190

metal190
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

If they're accepting money and promising goods in return, than they are in business, technically and otherwise.

9. Lionheart

Lionheart
    Expand Collapse

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on technicalities (even though I'm very tempted to). I will, however, address another issue I am seeing.

Why does it seem like you are finding posts I make and then disagreeing with me on them about small details, trivial things and word twisting?

For crying out loud, I even made a patch for you in one post, that you still haven't tried yet, but you have enough time to bitch at me on this forum.

They made the mute button on this forum for a reason. Bye bye.

phantomdancer likes this.
  10. metal190

metal190
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'm certainly not seeking you out. It does seem odd that we've been drawn to commenting on the same threads, and we apparently disagree on a handful of topics. But there's no reason to take it personally. And there's absolutely no reason to call a differing opinion "bitching".

I am interested in trying the preset you posted in the other thread - didn't realize you had made that one specially for me. Our disagreement on that topic was more about how everything sits in a mix, so even though I haven't gotten to my practice studio in a couple days, once I do, it won't be very telling until once of us mixes it into a recording or I have a chance to try it with the band.

Anyway - if we've got some strange oil and water thing going on, than by all means, feel free to ignore my posts. But I do hope that if you read back over the few that I've written, you'll note that I've never made any kind of personal attack, or even taken a rude or aggressive tone. Anyway, good luck in your tone journey.

11. symphx

symphx
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Krank is the new ADA in terms of repeat requests

12. happycritter

happycritter
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Pretty easy to get that ADA-MP1 sound out of the AFII...don't need an explicit model (it's a 2x12AX7 preamp for crying out loud - how difficult is it to copy *that* with a BE/HBE and a ParaEQ???).

13. Lionheart

Lionheart
    Expand Collapse

It's a legit request. There have been some great metal albums made using the Rev 1. Wouldn't mind seeing it one day added to the Axe-Fx.

mnemonic and Wolfenstein98k like this.
  14. happycritter

happycritter
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I get where you're coming from about the ADA MP-1 (I *have* one still - but it's on semi-permanent loan to a friend working on his project), but there is a lot of stuff 'hanging off of the tubes' to make Cliff's approach a real hassle for no real extra benefit. Certainly there must be some techno-mumbo-jumbo about what goes on when there is a lot of circuitry around the tube controlling its behavior (I find the more stuff added, the more compressed and less t00by sounding it is) that alters its actual tube-like performance. Simple tube circuits with high quality film capacitors are very lively and dynamic, especially paired with carbon-comp resistors. When (and if) I get my MP-1 back I'll make a patch.

15. Lionheart

Lionheart
    Expand Collapse

I was referring to the Krank Rev 1.

16. Triaxis75

Triaxis75
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Revised Rev 1? For some reason I recall them beefing up the board on that one. I may be wrong. I fooled myself into buying the Krankenstein... what a piece of...oh nm. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for ordering any more from that company. The guys I recall playing it, had Mark IV's hidden about, plugged in.

17. Lionheart

Lionheart
    Expand Collapse

Not sure which one I played, but it was a good amp. Nothing to write home about. Personally prefer a 5150 or Dual Rectifier.

happycritter likes this.
  18. will romero

will romero
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Raw krankenstein panned hard left. Mesa dual recto panned hard right. You decide if it sounds good...

mnemonic likes this.