Chef's The Robots

Swedish Chef

Power User
Robots_zps8a1eb081.gif

I am a huge fan of electronic music over all but Kraftwerk holds a very special place with me. It's for this very reason that this small project was one of the most enjoyable covers I've done recently. Everything was done with the Axe-FX 2 and my trusty ol' Tyler; drums, pads, leads, effects, vocoder - you name it. Some highlight patches below, if anyone is interested. Too many to upload it all... :eek:ops

Anyway, I bid you much enjoyment. And don't forget to drop a comment before you leave! :D

Last edited:
Great work Swedish Chef !! Thanks for the presets..

Now with the AXE II working so well with pitch and synth stuff, if one day the Midi out would output midi info to be able to plug to my Minimoog to add to all this, i'd be in heaven.. :)

Excellent job Chef!!!!!! I always enjoy your posts and musical genius!!! Not ever heard of Kraftwerk
but u got me interested. Will check some of this stuff out.

Among the very first vinyl records I bought. Outstanding!

I didnt like it at first.. but gave it some time,,, and glad I did!
I would wanna throw some KMFDM guitars all over it... lol

I guess a mic preamp is needed for the vocoder preset?

Ha ha... Thanks guys! ;)

Technically no, you only need a line level signal. If you don't have a "mic preamp" per se you can run the mic through your DAW interface and out. Your interface will boost the mic signal up to line level. You can feed the vocoder anything really. A drumbeat, a synthesizer... Personally, I really wanted the effect a static robotic voice so I used Apple Talk's own wizkid, Junior, as the source voice. As a matter of fact he wanted to say a few words to you guys himself:

:D

Last edited:
It's not often I say this on the forum, but you made my wife happy with this one! :) We're both big Kraftwerk fans. In fact, we had an alarm clock that would play The Robots. This, my good sir, was absolutely amazing.

You should do an album, along the lines of Switched On Bach or Moog Cookbook, with all electronic songs done exclusively on the Axe Fx. I'd buy it.

It's not often I say this on the forum, but you made my wife happy with this one! :) We're both big Kraftwerk fans. In fact, we had an alarm clock that would play The Robots. This, my good sir, was absolutely amazing.

You should do an album, along the lines of Switched On Bach or Moog Cookbook, with all electronic songs done exclusively on the Axe Fx. I'd buy it.

Ha ha, that's really cool. :lol

That would be a bit of challenge, but definitely doable. In any case, more covers are in the works... :)

Thank you, Mr. Fro! :D

When I first heard the first few notes I thought, "oh cool... The Overture/2112"... So that tells you how much I know about this vein of music. Very cool nonetheless and a lot of work I'm sure. It also shows the potential of the Axe II not to sound like a guitar...very convincingly. Thanks Chef!

While I was playing this I had a sensation that everyone in Düsseldorf was simultaneously grinning and bopping their heads. This was great!

sorry for hijacking this thread

Not necessary. I used live a simple SM57 connected to INPUT 2, with gain to max. worked super

The Boozers - Daft Punkt (live @ Hoeselt Zomert 2011) - YouTube

for those interested. our keyboard player also uses a vocoder. unfortunally our lightguy didn't sync very good.

here's the part I did.

me: television rules the nation
keyboard: around the world

me: television rules the nation
keyboard: around the world, world, world, ... (keyboard)
me: wooooorld (8x me)

keyboard: Work It, Make It, Do It - Makes Us, Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
me: around the world, around the world (16x)

IMO, the axe-fx vocoder sounds better than the keyboard vocoder, although the axe-fx could use more High frequencies.
the only problem is that when using too much high frequencies it can turn into self-oscillation, and with inears that's certainly some thing you don't want.

btw, my ibanez jem 20th fitted very nice in with the green lights on stage.

Back
Top Bottom