KPA-Solutions Camper 112 Plus kit

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
This 'build your own kit' was brought to my attention by someones post on this forum a while back asking if anyone had tried them.

This is probably more of interest to EU residents as all parts required are sourced in Germany (Thomann and KPA-Solutions/Ritter amps).

I have a Matrix FR212 - which is a great cab - but it's mono. It's also quite large so getting another to be able to go stereo is not feasible for me as I transport myself and my gear to gigs by car ..... and it's full enough with all my other stuff ... plus a lot of stages we get to play on are quite small.

My usual set up prior to now going fully FRFR was 2 1x12 Marshall cabs loaded with EVMs - usually stacked on top of each other on an amp stand. I ran them with my Matrix GT1000FX fed by a FXL pre cab block to Output 2 on the AxeFX.

So anyway, I bought the 2 empty Palmer cabs from Thomann and then didn't do anything else for a couple of months as other things in life got in the way ...

But a week or 2 ago I finally got round to ordering in the rest of the 'kit' components from kpa-solutions (Ritter amps)

I finished building the cabs a couple of days ago and then fired them up.

I am very pleasantly surprised at how they sound!! I'm using them in 'Full FRFR' mode from Output 1 on the AxeFX into my Matrix GT1000 and there's no HF buzz needing tweaked out and the bass response is there - the mids aren't boxy - good balanced even sound.

Their FRFR range tops out at 16KHz (-3dB) - which in practise seems just about right to allow any transients from post cab block FX through (I have AxeFX cabs high cut to around 12KHz usually). The bass response is a claimed 72Hz - I don't use anything below 80Hz so no probs there.

I haven't even felt the need to try them in 'Guitar' mode - just the 12 inch speaker (72Hz - 10KHz) with no tweeter.

Using just one cab - there's plenty of volume (they're rated at 200W at 8 Ohms) - using 2 of them really does push plenty of air believe me!

When I found out the Palmer cabs were made of MDF I was a bit sceptical on the outcome ..... but I've no complaints now that they're completed.

In my move to FRFR I've used:

1. A matrix NL212 - good size, stereo capable, exremely light carry weight but not FRFR - I couldn't really get cab blocks to sound good through them (they're not really designed for that though to be fair)

2. Matrix FR212 - as explained above - mono only - a more prominent efficient high end that needs tamed or a quite severe gate as I got a digital sizzle sound through the tweeter - once thats done though - a great loud, light to carry and accurate sounding cab.

3. Now these 'kit' cabs ..... I think I've found the FRFR solution for my preferred kind of setup.

Camper Plus KIT - KPA Solutions

Think it works out at about 350 Euro per cab.

Hey, I sold my beloved Soldano SLO and bought Axe FX XL+ about a month ago, so I'm new to this world. I'm very interested in the KPA-Solutions DIY kit, and I thought I'd check and see what you thought about it now... many months later.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go this way for a FRFR/GFR speaker cabinet, but I'd appreciate your updated opinion/advice.

I'm torn between purchasing two 112 FRFR/GFR kits ($250 each) or one 212 stereo GFR kit ($350). Do you have any thoughts? Stereo is a MUST.

Lastly, I have no power-amp (yet), so if you have any thoughts regarding which direction to go in this particular set-up, I'm all ears.

THANK YOU!

My own personal choice at the moment is I'm still torn 50/50 between conventional cabs and FRFR. A lot of it is down to the sort of places we get gigs at and we hire PA + Owner/operator/sound man for non house PA equipped gigs so the stage monitoring and what gets sent to the PA is somewhat haphazard from gig to gig.

One reason (other than being cheap) I went for the Camper Kit was that Mic Farlow was making good waves with his Xitone passive cabs at the time and these Camper kits were something akin to them. If I lived in the US I'd have definitely tried passive Xitones - but living here it would be far too expensive a gamble what with export duties and the major hassle of returning them if not impressed and all that crap.

If you are in the US then I'd say give Mic a shout and maybe try some of his stuff out.

i really don't like the idea of powered cabs - I have my old conventional cabs and the newer FRFR cabs so a separate SS power amp was always a must as it leaves me free to choose whatever type of cab I want - and the AxeFX provides all the tube power amp modelling. Having a little power amp module and DSP in the same small cab with a 12 in speaker rattling away doesn't inspire much confidence with me either.

Anyway - in terms of FRFR shootout between Matrix FR212 and the Campers - it's the Campers for me. Can go stereo with the 2 of them and can bypass their tweeters and switch to GFR mode with them easily if the tweeters decide to get squealish at higher volume on really small stages...... and strange as might seem, the fact that they are not as 'hi-fi' as the Matrix due to smaller tweeters makes them a bit more comforting to play with as loudish backline.

We've had some extended downtime from gigging but things are starting to look like starting up again so I'm going to do some more loud tweaking sessions with the new firmware soon and try and decide on a definite path re. FRFR or conventional to use. But I know I'll probably dial in presets to suit both .... why not?

FRFR is feeling better and better for me - especially if I can get a feed to the main PA too and stage volumes are kept low - but if you're coming from a history of many many pub/club gigs and a regular amp/cab it will take some time to adjust - or perhaps you never will ... but that's not a crime. The good thing is that the AxeFx can still provide for whatever scenario you prefer.

I used conventional cabs and a separate feed with cab IR to FOH in a good big house PA gig and the results were great as well ... but had a great big lovely house wedge monitor all to myself too - and to be honest I turned down my backline and got my cab IR feed bumped up in the monitor ... so I could have gone FRFR backline there too and been happy.

Despite all the waffle .... it's just plain hard to advise you because everyone's different in what they feel comfortable with. It's hit and hope .... and probably if this is your first foray into FRFR any return time period on cabs is probably not going to be long enough for you to get properly used to the 'new sound' - so bear that in mind.

For a power amp - I heartily recommend the Matrix GT1000FX if you're a gigging guy. Loud enough for me and my quite noisy bandmates and light to carry. You can go for the 1500 if you want to break windows (but overkill for those Camper DIY cabs)

Interestingly enough I am now looking at these kits too... I found this thread a week or two ago and then I spotted that somebody had resurrected it - @LLCoolJosh
In my case whilst I'd like to run in stereo, the band I am in sort of rules that out so it's good to hear that a single cab is fine volume wise. Additionally we run everything through the desk so volume out front is not likely to be a problem.

I always bring both my cabs - I've never run just one so don't know how it would perform in loud backline - should be ok I think.

My stereo FX settings don't go much beyond a little pitch detuning. a bit of multi-delay and chorus and I usually stack the cabs on top of each other ... so it's not really about any stereo spread on stage - more about having 2 speakers pushing air. I've played with 2 1x12 cabs for donkeys years.

The Matrix FR212 is mono - but has 2 12 speakers - and is certainly loud enough.

@maxdown What do you think of the FRFR/GFR options on the Camper 112? This may influence my decision to go with two 112s or one Camper 212 (the 212 is GFR only). Thanks!

Using them FRFR (IE cab block in signal) having the tweeters on seems better for me and the volume I prefer to play at - which I'd describe as relatively loud but comfortable at about 5 or 6 feet away behind me. At higher volumes the GFR option can work but there's the feeling that a little twist of more presence is missing - but your ears get wrecked pretty quick at those sort of volumes anyway.

I personally don't like extended range 12 inch guitar speakers when used conventionally .... I think you need the highs to deteriorate quicker. If I was playing non FRFR then I'd bring my EVM loaded 1x12 cabs every time

@LLCoolJosh - 1x12 kit for me is the master plan... when I get it and have tried it in a live environment I'll add my thoughts to this thread. The original schedule was to order it this week but the car needs to go into the garage so it might take a little longer before I place my order :(

Given that as a band we all DI into the desk (and the Axe is great for that) there's no emphasis nor requirement for massive backline volume. If anything I like to keep stage volumes under control because it helps clarity and goes some way to stopping my hearing getting any worse.

And I'd like to second the mention for the OP and the input in this thread.

I had build a Camper 112 in Dec to use first time FRFR live in Jan. Before a Fender Deluxe Hot Rod was in action. At low (bedroom) volume it was fine but during performance I recognized it could not keep up with the brass section (big band) and as I turn it louder I had to change to GFR caused by the tweeter. Which also changes the sound and would require to build different presets.

In Feb I had the chance to test the new CLR Neo MKII and I was blown away by the sound quality at low & high volume and new experience in dispersion. As I still had the Matrix GT1000FX I tested the passive FR12P in April - unfortunately only available now. The reason is I had an active FR12 for testing last year and the hiss at zero level turned me to the Camper 112. The sound of the FR12P is more like a I want to have on stage versus the CLR is a true reference monitor.

All this depends naturally on the style of the music playing and personal requirements.

Brass section in a big band? That sounds like a great gig and not something I have ever personally experienced.

However sound levels are probably way louder than you imagine and depending on the exact circumstances may exceed what is perceived to be acceptable levels to avoid hearing loss. Articles mention levels being way above 100dB which isn't comfortable for very long, and therefore something we avoid in my current band as regards stage volume.

hijack

I run sound for a swing band. Only vocals, keys, and the occasional solo woodwind are reinforced. Everything else is acoustic.

I once had someone in the audience ask me if I could turn down the band so it wouldn't be so loud. Nope. :)

/hijack

Back
Top Bottom