kostein's Axe FX II Firmware 12 High Gain Showcase (28 amp models) & Metal presets

graphics-beavis-and-butthead-767802.gif

dooooowwww, da da, da dun, da dada dun dun

effing brilliant

that's my earworm for the rest of the day!

seriously man...amazing job!

I've been really busy the past few days so I wasn't able to post. This is gonna be another long one it seems.

nothing less than epic!
can't wait to try some of your patches
efharisto manga
Let me guess, you loaded the Mark IV first? 8)

Just insanely awesome. And thanks for the presets.

What all are you doing with Ozone on the master track? EQ? Limiting for sure.
I don't remember the details on top of my head but I used the harmonic exciter, dynamics, post eq and the maximizer.

Has anyone else downloaded these and tried any? I think i'm having a problem with it...
What kind of problem?

Cool Video. I took notes as I listened to try and see if I could identify my favorite sounding amps as played and dialed in by you. I narrowed it down to about 5 amps or so and then tried to listen to each of those. I would have to say my favorites in this video were:

1) Diezel VH4
2a) Peavey 5150
2b) Peavey 6505+

But it was real close, and through different monitors I would probably change. FAS Modern just missed the cut.

I am assuming it was the actual VH4 and not DAS Metal?
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I have a few tones that I love but I can never decide which one I like best. It always changes. As for the VH4, it's the Dizzy 4 model, not Das Metal. That was one of the hardest tone decisions I had to make. I have like 3 different flavors with the VH4 and they all sound absolutely killer. In the end I just went with the most recent version.

But here's a "trick" with my VH4 preset. If you downloaded my presets, load the Diezel VH-4 v.04 patch which is in the older presets folder and go to the tone tab of the amp block and change the voicing from "Modern" to "Neutral". Play along with it and tell me which one you like best.

wow just watched it all, digging mmmmmmmmmmmmany, liked the orange splawn at the end, diezels, mb rectifier
Awesome dude, glad you're digging them. You had to wait a while but now it's all there!

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh. That Benny Hill intermission is fucking great. (I'm surprised I'm the only one to call it out.) The Interlude was cool, too. Always fun watching.

They all sounded good in the mix, though some got kind of lost over the bass. Some came out on top more: second tier - FAS Modern, Komet, and Thordendal; top tier - D4, FAS6160, SLO100, and 5150.

I noticed you ran the master past five on almost all of them (the Komet at 10! ), and was wondering what your motive is there?

Also, in many cases it says you used a mic with one of the 3rd-party IRs - or did this mean you used the IR where they used that mic?

I'm so glad that a lot of you like my humorous parts. They were the most fun to make and I think it shows.

Mixing 28 different tracks with different tones can get tedious. I tried really hard to balance them as much as possible but I'm no mixing engineer so they are a few that could have been more up front. I would go back and forth between them to make sure they're balanced. My ears would get fatigued pretty quick with all the different tones coming and going.

My motive for the master being past five most of the time? Tonal bliss of course! When I'm building a preset I start with the volume being at four to five. Then once I get a basic tone going I play with the volume knob a bit to see how the amp reacts to it. Most of the times I tend to go higher than five because the amp starts to compress and the mids start to scream. I like the sound of that. Too much volume though and the compression will suck the tone out of the amp. I try to find the right balance between those two. I do another million things to get where I want but that is something that I won't delve into right now. I'll probably make a vid one day to give you guys an insight on my metulz preset building methodology. Or even a mini series on how to build presets, record, mix & master... Time will tell ;)

I'll be damned if that doesn't shift a few Fractal units...really shows the versatility and variation in the high gain amps. Wonderful stuff.

Judging by what paulbag said I think my previous showcase did shift a few. If it gets to people that are debating whether they should get an Axe or not, it will help them to make the "right" decision :p I hope that it goes viral like my last one so people can see how awesome the Axe really is with v12.

Awesome job bro thanks for your hard work and for posting this! I have to say the last metal showcase you did was the deciding factor when I was debating buying the Axe II...you rock! Looking forward to trying your patches and will definitely have to contribute to the bass fund.

I'm glad you made the right decision and joined the Fractal universe and it's really cool that I played a part in that decision.

hehe

But when you share presets. Give folks a heads up. btw,these are really hot

Yeah I will put a warning on my blog before someone sues me for blowing their eardrums. I checked and I'm running the master vol at -6db. I think I lowered it when we got a firmware update (I don't remember which one) and everything sounded significantly louder.

"+40 Picking Endurance"
Believe me Cliff, I needed a lot of that when I was shooting video. That's why you see a glass of frape in almost every scene! :mrgreen

Your JCM 800 is really fun to play.

Awesome dude, glad you're enjoying it!

Kostein, you know you look like Jack Black?
With a beard.

The intermission is hilarious!

I wonder what those tissues are for, inbetween the studio monitors...?
Quite a few people have said the same thing since they saw this vid, so I guess I do :lol I've had the tissues there for the longest time and I never really bothered to put them aside. Then I shot some video and they were like in every shot so I just went with it. Note to self, move the tissues before you start shooting next time!

---------

Guys, I would like to say once again that I'm really glad you like this vid as much as you do. Thank you so much. It makes all the time I put into it well worth it. And yes, it took a lot of man hours. As I was getting closer to finishing it I would get more eager to just get it done and share it with the world. The worst part was when I started the final render. The only thing I could do was wait, which took close to 31 hours. Plus another 6 hours to upload and you get a very edgy Kostas. But it's done and I'm loving the result.

I also love the fact that you find the intermission/interlude amusing. They were certainly the most fun to do. :D There's a couple of reasons I do them. First, to entertain and keep you interested and second and more imporant, to give your ears a small break to reset and rest before the next segment of high gain riffage begins.

I can't help but wonder though, what next?:ugeek

Wow. Kostein does it again. I loved your earlier vids, and this really shows dedication and attention to detail. Professionally (and entertainingly) done, your showcase is about the only 38-min amp model comparison vid I could sit through.

What makes it even better for me is the similarity in our setups (besides the Axe): Schecter Hellraiser, Dynaudio BM5as, Cubase, Superior Drummer, hell, I even have the Canon DSLR, enjoy video editing and play PnP RPGs (love the potion, BTW)! :D Seriously, it makes a great benchmark for comparison when dialing in specific tones.

BTW: I really love these presets.
This is a good way,of Learning how to dail in a hi-gain amp. With the master vol up high !! Love it ;)

For everyone who downloaded the presets, here's a few of questions for you, just out of curiosity. How do they sound through your setup? Do they need tweaking to sound good? Which ones you like most? Which ones you like least? I'm really curious to hear how different they will sound to someone with a totally different playing style than me.

Btw I uploaded the SD2.0 preset yesterday for those who were looking for it. I kinda forgot to do that :lol

wow, just wow! after hearing all of the amps in context, i think i'm sold on the 5153 and 5150....so clear and bone crushing. thanks for the hard work.

For everyone who downloaded the presets, here's a few of questions for you, just out of curiosity. How do they sound through your setup? Do they need tweaking to sound good? Which ones you like most? Which ones you like least? I'm really curious to hear how different they will sound to someone with a totally different playing style than me.

Btw I uploaded the SD2.0 preset yesterday for those who were looking for it. I kinda forgot to do that :lol

They sound good. A little hot but that's easy remedied.

kostein - there's quite a big difference i can hear between the unprocessed tracks and the processed tracks. can you please outline what you did? ta!

by far the best gear demo I EVER saw on youtube! U RAWK! :encouragement: (I say this as a non-metal guitarist - it's a pleasure to watch, absolutely awesome!!! :eagerness: )

LOL....Damn, can't say the AXE FX2 doesn't nail those tones.....
Really well done.

The AXE FX2 really has become the holy grail of creating guitar tones that stand up against the original amp/cab recordings!

NIce work, great production and thought the intermission bit was hilarious. Now can someone please do one on low gain amps and then one on effects to make the ultimate buyers guide. hehehe

Back
Top Bottom