AFIII Korn - Falling Away From Me

Thank you ! Recto
Amazing!!! how did you get this sound off a recto model on the axe? I cannot get the recto to even remotely sound like this while I certainly can get other amp models to sound like this.
And it certainly should be a recto that's for sure. That's what Korn actually use!

Amazing!!! how did you get this sound off a recto model on the axe? I cannot get the recto to even remotely sound like this while I certainly can get other amp models to sound like this.
And it certainly should be a recto that's for sure. That's what Korn actually use!
Rectos are all about low MV with a cranked drive in front of them. Most of the "recto" sound that we're all familiar with is a boosted dual recto with the MV only turned up to where you get some nice bloom. Give it a little more mids than you would think, pull the bass back, and hit it with a tubescreamer with the volume all the way up and the drive all the way down. That'll get you 90% of the way there

Rectos are all about low MV with a cranked drive in front of them. Most of the "recto" sound that we're all familiar with is a boosted dual recto with the MV only turned up to where you get some nice bloom. Give it a little more mids than you would think, pull the bass back, and hit it with a tubescreamer with the volume all the way up and the drive all the way down. That'll get you 90% of the way there
I don’t use it that way but I know some guys does it. (I owned 3 amps in the recto family).
My master volume for practice or whatever as always been near 4-5-6 to 10 . I ve tried back in the day to max and volume and use the gain but was not really convinced . Depends on the song and music style. When your recto is at 4/5 to 10 in the master, you don’t really need a boost . The boost use is more for thrash song and when you play at home at low volume . Yes depends. There is not one solution . The song, the guitar, the guy … rectos are specials . If you look for something tight with them it’s challenging without boost. Or you need to turn down the gain. Then yes, bass needs to be turned low, mids up… and the presence is really important too… and …. Cabs ☺️

I have done a mini video interview where I speak with Munky. And he tells me that he was using a metal zone as boost with his recto 😉 (10 years ago)

I don’t use it that way but I know some guys does it. (I owned 3 amps in the recto family).
My master volume for practice or whatever as always been near 4-5-6 to 10 . I ve tried back in the day to max and volume and use the gain but was not really convinced . Depends on the song and music style. When your recto is at 4/5 to 10 in the master, you don’t really need a boost . The boost use is more for thrash song and when you play at home at low volume . Yes depends. There is not one solution . The song, the guitar, the guy … rectos are specials . If you look for something tight with them it’s challenging without boost. Or you need to turn down the gain. Then yes, bass needs to be turned low, mids up… and the presence is really important too… and …. Cabs ☺️
Interesting. I've owned a few rectos in the past (dual and triple) and could never get them to sound good with the MV that high. They always seemed to just fart out now matter how much I turned the lows down. Either way, you nailed the tone and I always enjoy your videos. Thanks for posting and for the tips!

Post a link or it didnt happen 🤪
I meet him several times. The videos are in my computer, not online. I’ve meet hundreds of artists I love. Even having one of my records in his hands 😅. Everytime I met them, I ask gear questions 😅. The tip about the metal zone is true. Not that he does this to this day maybe, but he does it.

Attachments

• E7FB1FC0-FFF3-4A76-AE72-ED43CEF42755.jpeg
    E7FB1FC0-FFF3-4A76-AE72-ED43CEF42755.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 17
  • D170588D-DB56-43BD-B780-2AD1612D2F5B.jpeg
    D170588D-DB56-43BD-B780-2AD1612D2F5B.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 5D581CEF-7A5C-4112-B2AE-4F83DEE52DCD.jpeg
    5D581CEF-7A5C-4112-B2AE-4F83DEE52DCD.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 87269AC3-8EF6-4F1D-AD19-36C2DDF5DE10.jpeg
    87269AC3-8EF6-4F1D-AD19-36C2DDF5DE10.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 18
It is so damn hard to get my Dual Recto Rev F sound out of the Axe FX's Recto models (I think Korn actually used Triples). I've heard about the lower MV setting, but I think that is only true for the Axe FX. After referring to Mesa's manual for the 2ch's, they even recommend setting the MV to 10-11 o'clock and the gain at 3 o'clock (use hummbuster cable if amp input is fed from Axe FX output 3 or 4), and holy fuck does that tighten up the low end as you said. Learning that, I don't ever use a boost pedal on my amp anymore. Sadly that just doesn't work with the Axe FX though.

Great stuff, man. I just love the raw aggression the Dual Recto offers in the older songs.

It is so damn hard to get my Dual Recto Rev F sound out of the Axe FX's Recto models (I think Korn actually used Triples). I've heard about the lower MV setting, but I think that is only true for the Axe FX. After referring to Mesa's manual for the 2ch's, they even recommend setting the MV to 10-11 o'clock and the gain at 3 o'clock (use hummbuster cable if amp input is fed from Axe FX output 3 or 4), and holy fuck does that tighten up the low end as you said. Learning that, I don't ever use a boost pedal on my amp anymore. Sadly that just doesn't work with the Axe FX though.

Great stuff, man. I just love the raw aggression the Dual Recto offers in the older songs.
In fact to me the master volume in the real heads should be at least at 3 or 4 to 10 to have the sound. At home at low volume it was less cool than in the practice room

Back
Top Bottom