Komet AmbiKab (and FM3)

AndrewJay

Inspired
So I just watched a Pete Thorn video where he is explaining wet/dry/wet rigs, which features this Komet AmbiKab.
I've never heard of it before, but it is intriguing. I figure that it may be of interest to those of us Axe FX users.

http://www.kometamps.com/products/ambikab/ambikab

I already have a "real cab" rig that I like, so I'm not in the market for something new, but I do wonder how this
would be as a powered cab for modelers. I like the simplicity of it and whether through tube amps or modelers this
seems to be straightforward in it's approach. For those that would want a powered cab to get an amp in the room sound
while keeping their racks smaller. Cool idea for a product.

I don't know anything about the AmbiKab, but...boy, I wish someone would make a really powerful version of the Stereo Space Station. I mean with an honest 12" main driver like the Celestion F12-X200 and enough oomph in the effects speaker to keep up. I had an early version of that thing, and it sounded pretty good, but there's no way it was usable on stage. Just not enough loudness on tap for either the main speaker or effects.

Sorry to derail.

It's a cool design when running a traditional speaker rig.

But it's also interesting that Pete is using the FM3 for (post) effects in this video, at 6:00.
I edited the title of this thread to point this out.

Last edited:
but I do wonder how this
would be as a powered cab for modelers. I like the simplicity of it and whether through tube amps or modelers this
seems to be straightforward in it's approach. For those that would want a powered cab to get an amp in the room sound
Wow!! Can this be used without an external poweramp so you just have the axe straight into the cab and with another out/in from the axe in/out to the fx send/return of the cab?
Are there anyone with the know how who can elaborate on this set up pros and cons compared to a pair of frfr speakers?

Wow!! Can this be used without an external poweramp so you just have the axe straight into the cab and with another out/in from the axe in/out to the fx send/return of the cab?
Are there anyone with the know how who can elaborate on this set up pros and cons compared to a pair of frfr speakers?
You'd have to use an external power amp between the Axe-Fx and the Speaker input of the AmbiKab to drive its 2x12. And then you'd just send an Axe-Fx out to Effects-In of the AmbiKab, and its internal stereo power amp can drive its 2x10.

Man, the thing is super heavy, 70-80 lbs. The AmbiKab Jr. Pete Thorn reviews is a more doable though, 30 lbs. IMO nothing super remarkable about it though, it packages a DI box and a stereo power amp into a 2x10 for the Jr. priced at $1400, add a 2x12 for the regular priced at $2000.

I don't know anything about the AmbiKab, but...boy, I wish someone would make a really powerful version of the Stereo Space Station. I mean with an honest 12" main driver like the Celestion F12-X200 and enough oomph in the effects speaker to keep up. I had an early version of that thing, and it sounded pretty good, but there's no way it was usable on stage. Just not enough loudness on tap for either the main speaker or effects.

Sorry to derail.

There's a 700 watt XL version now.

You'd have to use an external power amp between the Axe-Fx and the Speaker input of the AmbiKab to drive its 2x12. And then you'd just send an Axe-Fx out to Effects-In of the AmbiKab, and its internal stereo power amp can drive its 2x10.

Man, the thing is super heavy, 70-80 lbs. The AmbiKab Jr. Pete Thorn reviews is a more doable though, 30 lbs. IMO nothing super remarkable about it though, it packages a DI box and a stereo power amp into a 2x10 for the Jr. priced at $1400, add a 2x12 for the regular priced at $2000.
Ok, thanx for making it clear. I guess I hold on to my frfr plan... :)

I've had my AmbiKab Jr. for about a month and a half. It's pretty amazing and adds a dimension to your tone that I've never experienced. This is my first time with a wet/dry rig. I have been using it with my tube rig; however, I don't see why it couldn't be used with a modeler especially given the routing capabilities of the FM3 and AXE3. I will give it a try with my AXE3 and powered FRFR; however, I need to check with Komet to make sure I can run a line level signal into the AmbiKab since it is expecting a signal from the second speaker out.

I've had my AmbiKab Jr. for about a month and a half. It's pretty amazing and adds a dimension to your tone that I've never experienced. This is my first time with a wet/dry rig. I have been using it with my tube rig; however, I don't see why it couldn't be used with a modeler especially given the routing capabilities of the FM3 and AXE3. I will give it a try with my AXE3 and powered FRFR; however, I need to check with Komet to make sure I can run a line level signal into the AmbiKab since it is expecting a signal from the second speaker out.

If you're running it alongside the Axe-Fx III and a powered FRFR, you should be able to just send the wet outs from the III to the Effect Inputs of the AmbiKab Jr.

Btw, awesome guitar! Quite an extreme offset which I usually don't like the look of, but this one still works in my eyes, very cool! (Does the offset on it serve a functional purpose, or is it for looks?)

If you're running it alongside the Axe-Fx III and a powered FRFR, you should be able to just send the wet outs from the III to the Effect Inputs of the AmbiKab Jr.

Btw, awesome guitar! Quite an extreme offset which I usually don't like the look of, but this one still works in my eyes, very cool! (Does the offset on it serve a functional purpose, or is it for looks?)

I will have to check but I'm not sure I can run just the wet effects into the AmbiKab. It expects to see an input from the 2nd amp out. Then you run out of the AmbiKab into the AXE3 then back into AmbiKab.

Thanks, the offset adds a little more volume to the body but is mostly for looks.

Sorry to derail.
No problem. And I need to check out the Stereo Space Station. I read up on it a while back and haven't revisited. Discovering the AmbiKab might set off the journey to similar products like the Stereo Space Station.

It's a cool design when running a traditional speaker rig.

But it's also interesting that Pete is using the FM3 for (post) effects in this video, at 6:00.
I edited the title of this thread to point this out.
I was hoping that it might suffice as an alternative to having a separate power amp for some users,
but in further viewings, it doesn't seem as much of one as I would have liked. And yes, it slipped my
mind to mention the FM3, thank you for editing the title Yek.

#ipressthebutton
The comet 60 and concorde is two of my favorite amps in the axe how would you say they compare to a "real" komet amp regarding feel and sound.

#ipressthebutton
The comet 60 and concorde is two of my favorite amps in the axe how would you say they compare to a "real" komet amp regarding feel and sound.

The Comet 60 is close, tone wise it is there, feel wise, it is 90% there. I still haven't been able to get the AXE3 to sound like the Silver Cloud. It is much cleaner than the K60 and has a monster low end. I really didn't believe the Komet hype until I got one. The Silver Cloud is possibly the best amp I've ever played.

The Comet 60 is close, tone wise it is there, feel wise, it is 90% there. I still haven't been able to get the AXE3 to sound like the Silver Cloud. It is much cleaner than the K60 and has a monster low end. I really didn't believe the Komet hype until I got one. The Silver Cloud is possibly the best amp I've ever played.
So happy to hear that the axe is really close to the "real" K60 - thanx for the good news.
The fractal team with cliff would probably say - what else did you expect? ... but you never know until you have a chance to compare them side by side - but they are very hard to come by in Europe - but now I'm happy and at peace
😊😊😊

Back
Top Bottom