Know your device...

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
A quick gig story.

We're all FAS gear users: bass player and singer use AX8s, I use my Axe-Fx. I bring my own amplification, the others rely on monitoring or amps on location.

Yesterday we arrived at a venue which provides its own backline amps and PA. Amps point straight into the room, do not go through FOH or monitors.

So there was a Fender amp for the singer. No effects loop, and of course it didn't sound great going straight from AX8 into the Fender. So: adapt and adjust.

Luckily the singer uses just a single preset, with AMP X/Y for clean and dirty, with a couple of DRIVE blocks (BB and something low-gain).

We disabled the AMP and CAB blocks in the preset, switched I/O > Out Nominal from +4 to -10, and used the low input on the Fender. Done. Obviously he couldn't use AMP X/Y anymore, but the Drive blocks (stackable) compensated for that. We basically turned the AX8 into a pedalboard in no time.

Be prepared or know how to adapt.

A quick gig story.

We're all FAS gear users: bass player and singer use AX8s, I use my Axe-Fx. I bring my own amplification, the others rely on monitoring or amps on location.

Yesterday we arrived at a venue which provides its own backline amps and PA. Amps point straight into the room, do not go through FOH or monitors.

So there was a Fender amp for the singer. No effects loop, and of course it didn't sound great going straight from AX8 into the Fender. So: adapt and adjust.

Luckily the singer uses just a single preset, with AMP X/Y for clean and dirty, with a couple of DRIVE blocks (BB and something low-gain).

We disabled the AMP and CAB blocks in the preset, switched I/O > Out Nominal from +4 to -10, and used the low input on the Fender. Done. Obviously he couldn't use AMP X/Y anymore, but the Drive blocks (stackable) compensated for that. We basically turned the AX8 into a pedalboard in no time.

Be prepared or know how to adapt.
Hey Yes, I have a bank in my AX8 where each preset is set up like a pedal board. No amp or cab sims. It's just like having an old school pedalboard. First comes strictly from the drives etc...I use it mostly for blues jams in clubs where there is a guest amp and not a great PA. :0) there are so many preset slots in there that it's good to be prepared for any situation. :0) and easy too

Hey Yes, I have a bank in my AX8 where each preset is set up like a pedal board. No amp or cab sims. It's just like having an old school pedalboard. First comes strictly from the drives etc...I use it mostly for blues jams in clubs where there is a guest amp and not a great PA. :0) there are so many preset slots in there that it's good to be prepared for any situation. :0) and easy too

Yes, indeed, already added that to the to do list.

Is this essentially like running 4CM but without amp+cabs on? Basically, it's an FX8 kinda...? Kinda?!

Yep - first 2 presets are effects only for me, then my top 5 amp presets after that. To your point though, I am overdependent on AX Edit to tweak things and I need to make sure I can go beyond that using the hardware...good advice.

I've had to do that before (disable amp/cab and plug into front of amp). I will add that, while many edit the AX8 via computer, it's a really good idea to be able to quickly edit the EQ blocks on the fly via the board interface. It really helps when plugging into unknown amps.

I too have some some pedalboard presets(no amp or cab blocks) to use on guest amps. So far all fenders. I have a fender deluxe reverb at home set to a neutral sound that i used to dial in my preset. It has translated well to a twin and a blues junior. One of the presets allows use of my exp pedals. another is zero exp pedals for blues jam night.

Yep - first 2 presets are effects only for me, then my top 5 amp presets after that. To your point though, I am overdependent on AX Edit to tweak things and I need to make sure I can go beyond that using the hardware...good advice.

Or get Fracpad

Back
Top Bottom