Knobs on the Axe-FX - A Question

Adinfinitum

Experienced
If I understand the release notes from the latest firmware correctly, the volume knobs taper was changed. If that is the case, are these knobs software driven and not typical analog pots? If so, is it possible to program them to act as knob controllers for anything in the Axe-FX such as Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence (typical EQ) or Drive Tone Vol for a drive pedal??

I know that I rarely change the input and output volumes once they are set. After setting them, it would be rather cool if there was a menu to globally assign these knobs to different tasks, such as typical amp EQ or Drive controls - Personally, I would love Drive, Vol, Master and Presence Amp controls, as opposed to scrolling into Edit and then to the correct parameter.

Just a thought.

Adinfinitum said:
If I understand the release notes from the latest firmware correctly, the volume knobs taper was changed. If that is the case, are these knobs software driven and not typical analog pots? If so, is it possible to program them to act as knob controllers for anything in the Axe-FX such as Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence (typical EQ) or Drive Tone Vol for a drive pedal??

I know that I rarely change the input and output volumes once they are set. After setting them, it would be rather cool if there was a menu to globally assign these knobs to different tasks, such as typical amp EQ or Drive controls - Personally, I would love Drive, Vol, Master and Presence Amp controls, as opposed to scrolling into Edit and then to the correct parameter.

Just a thought.

This is talking about parameters in the volume/pan effect block. One of many effects within the Axe-fx. No, what you are asking isn't likely to happen. The volume knob are analog only, no connection to the firmware. However, you are welcome to post a request in the wish list section of this forum.

javajunkie said:
Adinfinitum said:

Just a thought.
No, what you are asking isn't likely to happen. However, you are welcome to post a request in the wish list section of this forum.

That's a sweet idea. I'd like it! ;)

Basically what I'm asking is could the vol knobs be drafted into service as rotary encoders. The only very minor quibble I have with the Axe-FX design would be that there should be some rotary encoders to change menu items. Yamaha did this on many synths and Reverb products. It seems to work well when there are a lot of menus to go through. 5 encoders with each menu limited to 5 parameters. I understand it would add to the costs (by probably a $100, but with a device this high-end, most users would not mind paying a little extra for some ergomonic convenience. Again, I'm not complaining or asking Cliff to change his design, just thinking out loud if there is something already in the box that achieves the same ends.

We understand what you're asking...........and I'll second Sean's suggestion that you put it down as a feature request in the Wish List section of this forum.

p

Adinfinitum said:
Basically what I'm asking is could the vol knobs be drafted into service as rotary encoders. The only very minor quibble I have with the Axe-FX design would be that there should be some rotary encoders to change menu items. Yamaha did this on many synths and Reverb products. It seems to work well when there are a lot of menus to go through. 5 encoders with each menu limited to 5 parameters. I understand it would add to the costs (by probably a $100, but with a device this high-end, most users would not mind paying a little extra for some ergomonic convenience. Again, I'm not complaining or asking Cliff to change his design, just thinking out loud if there is something already in the box that achieves the same ends.

No, they can not. They have no relation to the digital portion of the Axe-fx. They are analog potentiometers.

Back
Top Bottom