Klone Chiron sounds better than my KTR

I have a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe ......Thank you Cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I remember him saying we didn't need a Klon?
Oh yes we did and it sounds great!!!!!!!!

This model/pedal sounds so transparent compared to what I'd been using for 'extra juice'. I also love the way it rounds out the sound on a low gain/semi-dirty tone. Glad I tried it and now it's replaced the T808 and FAS Boost in my main presets.

Has anyone else noticed that the High Cut in the Tone Tab is set to like 474Hz? Is it supposed to be that low?? I am not saying the model doesn't sound good .... that just kinda hit me as being kinda odd for it to be that low. Was really wondering if it might have been an error?

Has anyone else noticed that the High Cut in the Tone Tab is set to like 474Hz? Is it supposed to be that low?? I am not saying the model doesn't sound good .... that just kinda hit me as being kinda odd for it to be that low. Was really wondering if it might have been an error?
I noticed this as well, had the same question.

I noticed this as well, had the same question.
There are a bunch of places in the Klon circuit where there are low cut and high cut filters. Notably, R20 and C23 in the summing opamp stage form a RC lowpass filter that passes everything below 495 Hz. Increasing the value of C13 by ~4 percent shifts the lowpass filter to 474 Hz. Depending on the type of capacitor used for C13, a tolerance of 10-20% would be expected, so a 4% deviation from the schematic would not be uncommon. So that's one possible explanation.

img20D.jpg

There are a bunch of places in the Klon circuit where there are low cut and high cut filters. Notably, R20 and C23 in the summing opamp stage form a RC lowpass filter that passes everything below 495 Hz. Increasing the value of C13 by ~4 percent shifts the lowpass filter to 474 Hz. Depending on the type of capacitor used for C13, a tolerance of 10-20% would be expected, so a 4% deviation from the schematic would not be uncommon. So that's one possible explanation.

img20D.jpg
Yup, our reference pedal measured 474 Hz.

Since I use my FM3 to gig and my Axe Fx III just sits unused in the closet, would I be crazy to use my Axe Fx III in the loop of my FM3 just for the Klone?

Yes. yes I would be. That would be idiotic lol!

I'm stoked to try it out. I know I've personally been asking for it for years. I guess Cliff finally got ahold of a good specimen or finally designed the best possible version in existence, which would be the only reason he'd release it :)

Since I use my FM3 to gig and my Axe Fx III just sits unused in the closet, would I be crazy to use my Axe Fx III in the loop of my FM3 just for the Klone?

Yes. yes I would be. That would be idiotic lol!

I'm stoked to try it out. I know I've personally been asking for it for years. I guess Cliff finally got ahold of a good specimen or finally designed the best possible version in existence, which would be the only reason he'd release it :)
Yes, that would be crazy - a drive belongs before the input, not in the effects loop. 😉

I actually think it works better to put drives in a loop on the Axe-FX so that the guitar is still interacting with the Axe-FX input circuitry. With the drive in a loop you can put it anywhere in the signal chain you want.
Good point!

I was also forgetting that a loop can be placed anywhere in the signal chain, not just between the preamp and power amp like a physical amplifier.

Last edited:
Bl**dy marvellous!

Better than my Golden Horsie and that has been my favourite so far.

Sorry for the necro-bump...
Don't be! Lots of us asked for this for so long, and if it had been an easy job I'm sure it would have happened long before it did. When it finally did arrive (and I've been a Klon and clone fan for a very long time), it was about 10 minutes before I figured it was all I had hoped for and more in the Axe FX III.

If you understood the original circuit architecture you could mimic individual Klon settings using parallel Drive blocks before. But it took time and effort, and changing drive level and tone was not like twisting the knobs on the real deal. It really is just like having a Klon or KTR in the box now, which means an Axe FX III kind of pays for itself with just one effect! ;)

Liam

Back
Top Bottom