Klon Klones + FAS FM3/FM9/AF3 = Heterodyne Issues?

Prince

Inspired
Vendor
Do any of y'all have experience with running a Klon Klone, in front of the FAS FM3/FM9/Axe FX 3? If so, were there any heterodyne issues as have been previously reported with digital effects such as the Strymon Timeline? I'm looking to pick up a J Rockett Archer (Ikon) and/or the Wampler Tumnus (Deluxe) to run in front of my FM3, but I just want to make sure the Klones charge pump isn't going to cause any issues. Thanks y'all!

I do it and it works more or less the same as running it in front of an amp. Just make sure that the output knob is set so that you aren’t overdriving the input of your Fractal unit, and adjust the input trim on the amp block to account for how high you would set the output control on the pedal. Otherwise, set the controls to taste, and it works as you’d expect.

When I plug my ehx effects in front of the axe I had troubles, the signal is very hot . I heard about the impedance thing in the input section, is it the only way to make pedals more friendly ?

When I plug my ehx effects in front of the axe I had troubles, the signal is very hot . I heard about the impedance thing in the input section, is it the only way to make pedals more friendly ?
Try turning the output level of the pedal down. The volume knob on most pedals is a simple voltage divider and has pretty much no impact on the tone of the pedal. You can also lower the input level on the Fractal so that it doesn’t clip.

Have you tried the "Input 1" gain knob, under Setup-I/O? I realize it's not ideal to have to use that control in a live setting necessarily, but for someone who uses a pedal like that as an "always-on" tone-shaping tool, or for recording, it may help. I offer this as a suggestion, because its function is hardly mentioned in either the manual or the Wiki, therefore some may be unaware of its existence.

I’ve played my Klon in front of the FM3 for awhile now and I remember i had to adjust the input pad in the system settings to get it just right without clipping. And I also had the adjust the noise gate too, it sounds killer!

I was about to pull the trigger on an Archer Ikon, then I remembered about the FM9 having the Secret Sauce and variable input impedance. Is it a bad idea to run a buffer before the FM9's instrument input? Is the buffer going to mess with the impedance? Would I be better off getting the Tumnus Deluxe which has a buffered/true-bypass mode switch?

I was about to pull the trigger on an Archer Ikon, then I remembered about the FM9 having the Secret Sauce and variable input impedance. Is it a bad idea to run a buffer before the FM9's instrument input? Is the buffer going to mess with the impedance? Would I be better off getting the Tumnus Deluxe which has a buffered/true-bypass mode switch?
Depends on whether you're actually using something it matters for.

If you have a treble booster or fuzz as the first device in the Fractal....yeah, you probably want to avoid buffers before that. If the first thing in the Fractal is always a 1M input impedance thing, then it shouldn't matter whether the fractal is buffering the signal or something else before it.

no probs with buffers at all, get what ever speaks more to you Ikon or Tumnus
Sorry that's not entirely true.

Yes you're correct - there will be no problem with running a buffer in front of the FM9

BUT

In doing so, you'll lose the advantage of the impedance switching of the FM9, since the guitar will 'see' the buffer impedance - not the impedance of the FM9

Back
Top Bottom