Klon Centaur

I had an original Klon Centaur (Silver one) I bought for $400. I don't remember the year but I sold it (early '2000s?) for $1200 to pay for a PRS Custom 22 (the one you see in my avatar picture - still here, still my favorite PRS out of the 40 or so I've ever owned).

I loved the Klon but I was really hard-pressed to justify the $400 I paid for mine used back in the day. Selling it was just a financial choice, I wanted that PRS (and I've never regretted it once).

The prices the Klon goes for now is patently insane.

Such expensive pedals are like really expensive guitars, they're totally useless for gigging. Unless you're like the Edge and your gear sits behind a wall of bouncers and your own guitar tech/butler who will defend it with his life. Us mere mortals, who have to carry and setup everything ourselves, worry about drunk audience members coming too close with their beers, hoping that the backstage room has a lock and key so you can relax at the bar after the show or that the airline baggage handlers aren't using our gear to play basketball, we can't afford to use gear that expensive. Even if we could afford it financially. So they would become museum pieces. To be put behind glass of for bedroom use only. Or for people who are crazy enough to actually use it on the road because they are anal about their tone and/or want to claim bragging rights. For normal people 95% or even more of the tone from a cheap(er) Klon(e) is good enough.

Hype mostly, but also an unusual circuit in terms of filtering and negative feedback loops (which also affect filtering). I doubt very much that the “vintage” of diodes matters at all, unless a batch had a manufacturing defect.

A lot of drive pedals are extremely primitive. Klon is slightly less so. It’s hard to tell if this is an accident or deliberate design choices, but in the end it doesn’t really matter. I’d pay $100 for it if it was a normal sized pedal (50% of which would be the profit margin to the manufacturer). $5K though? Come on now.

Here's a good history on the pedal development. I think the design was intentional considering it was done by two MIT engineers and not just by a tinkerer.

Cliff was going to finally add one last I heard, had one coming in the mail (newer red one). Wonder where that left off? .... excuse me if it's been discussed, I didn't see it.

Here's a good history on the pedal development. I think the design was intentional considering it was done by two MIT engineers and not just by a tinkerer.

There's nothing in Klon that would take two "MIT grads" 4.5 years to design. Nor is there anything in it that would require 2.5 years to switch to SMD components. Nor is there a possibility that industry standard robotized SMD assembly would have more quality control issues than human one. Also, if we are to take "60 hours a week for 15 years to make 8000 pedals" story at face value, then each pedal took almost 6 hours to make. Implausible. So it's all apocryphal, I think.

Cliff was going to finally add one last I heard, had one coming in the mail (newer red one). Wonder where that left off? .... excuse me if it's been discussed, I didn't see it.
I saw he ordered a KTR but didn't read anything after that point.

But AFAIK, the "Klown" thingy is recurrent in this forum (and other)...
Now, to be honest AliExpress has the (pretty good) Mosky SilverHorse for the people that can't live without it... and It's getting it's own legend... but stay dirt cheap :p

Attachments

• fm3horse.jpg
    fm3horse.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 16
I saw he ordered a KTR but didn't read anything after that point.

But AFAIK, the "Klown" thingy is recurrent in this forum (and other)...
Now, to be honest AliExpress has the (pretty good) Mosky SilverHorse for the people that can't live without it... and It's getting it's own legend... but stay dirt cheap :p

I remember him saying he'd got one of the Klon clones and was gonna look at it but wasn't making any promises

I asked on another thread recently if there was anything he could say as an update and didn't get any response so its either not happening or still on the drawing board.
We'll probably either get one in a firmware update or some news in the future

I'd love to get a last FX update for the Axe II with the Bronie. As I've said many times, It sounded fine several Quantum upgrades ago, never had any need for the Ares upgrade, have no need for a new Ares or whatever upgrade to any of the amps, but some extra stompboxes? Sign me up for that shit!

I love how the guy is waving them around in the air within a millimeter of each other, while holding on to them by a thread. Seems disrespectful to the guy who lent them, especially considering how much they cost.

Back
Top Bottom